1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Europe Important This Year?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Jul 30, 2011.

Discuss Is Europe Important This Year? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TheZacDaddy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    As above!

2. Efe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's important for us to do well in Europe this year. If we play at our best, we should hopefully reach last 16.

3. Harry Caray

MEGA important, Celtic needs to be involved in the European cups either CL (preferably) or Europa League, hate this "its only a burden" nonsense, we should beable to win the league and stay aim to be in Europe after Xmas, just like the other teams involved competing to win their league

4. celticminded89

We need a good wee European run, it's been to long for a club of our stature.

5. Binnie_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough.
    I hope we can at least make the last 16. We need to really.

6. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Yes, very important. It's done Rangers no harm being in Europe when we've not.

7. pod

A good performance in Europe this (and next) season is beyond critical. Our 2 highest coefficient points haul were 4 and 5 seasons ago and if we dont accumulate a decent points total we are in serious danger of going so far down the rankings it will take us years to recover from it.

8. AD1967

Fav Celtic Song:
    love a good walk on
    its important financially and to keep guys like kayal and izzy around. plus there is nothing better than a european night at CP.

9. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

It's a bonus to me because we ain't capable to getting our hands at any trophy in Europe.

Having said that some class european nights and positive (however also negative) publicity never hurt.

also it's every players dream to play in the champions league and mess with the very best.

10. wulliebad

We have to get a run in europe if we want to keep our best players,get dumped out early and those new signings will soon want to move on.
    It also makes signing new players less hard work if they know they will get some european football.

11. kingkayal

A good run in Europe would be fantastic for us. The money would be handy but it's the fact we could pull in a lot more signings off the back of it. Do i think we will have a good run this year....... no. I really hope i'm wrong but i reckon we will win the league but i think we're a few seasons away from a good run in Europe.

12. Breenzo

League is the priority but I would love us to go on a wee run this season! I fear that we won't have Izzy, Kayal, Hooper etc for very long if they keep up their good work and it would be a tragedy if we didn't get to see these guys involved in some big European nights. I know it's not the CL, but the deeper we go into the Europa, the more the excitement will build!

13. JohnBhoyCfc1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hooper + Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Cant Get Enough + Hail Hail
    At least reach the last 16 or the last 32.

14. RobertSmith1888

I miss winter European nights at paradise, so yes, it is important not just for my sake, or the fans sakes, but for the team.

15. Gordybhoy1967

for me, besides thumping the hun. europe is number one. thats where we should be. cannae beat the night time games.

16. adambhoy 25

Ofcourse it is,no doubt about it.

17. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Think getting to the group stages is important to give them some experience. Anything after that is a bonus.

18. GG1888

Agree with above. Anything after the group stage is a bonus. I think we will get through the group stage, then we can hopefully get a decent draw for the last 32! :icon_mrgreen:

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Lennon has said it is important for the development of the squad and he's correct.

I think we'll be fine in Europe with a striker and keeper, both positions we are actively pursuing targets to fill.

I honestly thought Inter would wipe the floor with us through their passing and movement but our midfield where the equal of theirs in every aspect. Their forwards tore the defence a new one but that was to be expected and as Lennon said post-match the defence are going to have to learn to deal with that because that's where we want to be.

20. paddymcp

Europe is important/essential/the lifeblood of this club.

Financially the club can't afford to go without the income a decent run in Europe can give us.

Their's no question failure to get into the CL this year is a major blow but thats gone now and getting into the group stages of the EL and getting good results (which amounts to more money, something like 150-200k a victory) is essential.

Im concerned about the GK positions and the seemingly lack of cohesion about it.

If we're not prepared for Europe this year (which we weren't last year with most players signed the day before European games /not signed until we got knocked out after,etc) then ill be right * off and questions will have to be asked.

The next week or so is important IMO.

Get a GK signed up who is actually dependable and possibly an experienced but agile CB to pair with Kelvin Wilson and another Striker and ill be happy and confident of an assault on Europe this year.

Im not for Forster's return to be honest - he doesn't inspire me with confidence and made a clanger last week for Newcastle so i'd expect him to be on the move again - just hopefully not here.

I'm disappointed Bellamy's move is a no-go to be honest as he's an out and out winner and would have demanded 100% from every member of the side. Something that was lacking at times last season and ultimately cost us the title last year.

I would have made him Captain ahead of the improved but limited and certainly not captain material Scott Brown but sod's law and hopefully they pull someone out the hat thats needed.

The only money we've spent is 900k on a young and raw 20 year old and we're into August.

We shall see if theres any movement before crunch time on August 18th.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011