1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JasonMcG1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    kieran tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace

May 31st

2. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    just came in to post that. Cheers mate:50:

3. Celtic Symphony

Froch v Groves 2, can't wait, this is the sort of fight boxing fans crave and its the right thing after the abysmal decision to stop the fight last time round.

4. Higgie

That's good news that the rematch is on.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Can't wait for this...

Been a big fan of froch for years and wanted him to smash groves and was delighted he got the win albeit controversial but the way he's spoken and conducted himself since the fight has been disgraceful..
    If it's anything like the last then we're in for a big night,that was edge of your seat stuff from first to last in Manchester!

6. Celtic Symphony

Froch was a mess today in his interview and the digs he was having at Groves were school boy stuff and played right into Groves hands.

The experience Groves got from the first fight is massive and I think people under appreciate how much stronger and confident Groves will be this time round.

He will be too much for Froch on the night imo and I don't see it going the distance.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Possibly,his power on the night was unbelievable and caught us all by surprise I think and his speed which we all knew he had was frighteningly quick as well,the way he dominated the centre,took the fight to froch and bullied him,was stronger in every exchange..
    I still maintain froch had him and though groves deserved to try and get out of it or be knocked out I still believe 100% the latter was the outcome in a matter of seconds before that incompetent ref stepped in..

That was groves big fight and surprise especially after sparking froch out in the first, he let froch off the hook and he may not be so dominating this time,it's a total 50/50 fight this time for me which I can see froch nicking again..
    Froch can't afford to be so wary and stand offish again otherwise it won't go the distance,i've never seen froch so doubtful and scared in his ability, his weak jab was embarassing!

8. pod

Groves should have been made to take at least one more fight against a high ranked fighter before he got his fight. Bit of a farce that it was forced on Froch tbh.

9. Celtic Symphony

The thing is though it wasn't a surprise Groves done an Ali and told Froch exactly what he would hit him with and when and he didn't disappoint.

They say styles make fight but styles also determine the outcome more often than not and Groves has Frochs number just like Lewis had Tysons and Mayweather had De La Hoyas. The only difference with those fight as they were not stopped by an incompetent ref.

If you watch the fight closely, Groves wasn't caught clean in that exchange and was trying to find space in the ring which unfortunately caused him to drop his defence slightly and gave a nervous ref a decision to make which he got wrong.

I am far from a Froch hater although the full Calzaghe thing made me think he was an idiot but I just think he loses this fight to a guy who has all the boxing fundamentals down to a tee.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I've heard many a challenger give the big speech and talk a good game and step in and do nothing like they'd been saying pre fight..
    I always knew groves was a good fighter,fast and slick but wouldn't have the power to go to the very top,he showed me how wrong I was whatever happens in the next fight hasn't changed my mind from the last,groves will be a world champion at some stage..

I agree this is probably the worst kinda style for froch,even worse than ward in my opinion in that groves is so quick he's hard to pin down and get close to start letting those big shots fly and get some joy,he's so quick that as soon as he wriggles out of a situation where froch is coming forward he's already thinking and ready to counter froch..

Listen we all know the ref * up badly but for me groves was about to be finished and we all and he should have been allowed to see/be stopped, I disagree that he wasn't in trouble I've looked back quite a few times at the finish and when froch was starting to get joy up on the ropes groves was bang in trouble,froch was catching him clean on the button 4 or 5 times whilst groves was bent down missing completely with his counter punches and head down taking punishment..
    He wasn't trying to find space he was hurt and backed up..

Froch hasn't done himself any favours since the fight and his lack of respect and unwillingness to give groves credit looks muggy on his part,I've been a big froch fan for years but he has come out of it looking a bit of a * and he should tell his brother to pipe down aswell..
    Yeah I remember the way he kept calling out calzaghe who was fighting the cream at the time and froch wasn't at that level or deserving of stepping in the ring with calzaghe..

11. Celtic Symphony

I don't agree that he was caught clean at any time, he was caught yes but not enough to make him go down and surely a fight with so much at stake or any fight for that matter you have to give the person on the receiving end a chance to fight back, the ref may as well have stopped it in the first as Froch was hurt more than Groves was at any point.

It's one of those great fights we could possibly disagree over a thousand things as there is too may "what ifs".

Froch is a warrior and should never be taken lightly but imo Groves stepped up a couple of levels when he fought Froch and he handled most of it with ease when he really should have struggled against the experience and presence of Froch.

I honestly just think he has his number, nothing is set in stone in boxing but I think Groves has him this time round as I have said before the experience alone that Groves gained makes him an even more dangerous fighter.

On another note another pull out on the Burns card with Scott Cradle after an injury. Gutted about that one.

How do you think Burns will get on?.

I have only seen Crawford a couple times and he looks very slick but it's his * career that impresses me as he beat both Danny Garcia and Micky Garcia who are probably two of the most technically gifted boxers around atm.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    We disagree on groves being hurt as I think he clearly was, I've said all along it wasn't enough to have a fight of that importance stopped though..
    The ref was poor throughout the entire fight..
    It's only questions and ifs and buts solely because of the refs incompetent stoppage,robbed the public and both fighters as froch as well has had a great comeback tarnished and groves has had a great fight ruined all by one decision to not let it pan out naturally..
    I'm caught in 2 minds,this time it genuinely is a 50/50 fight with froch swaying it as that was his worst and groves best ever performance and he still somehow managed to come through it,the bookies have him as favourite as well even after the hammering he took..

Scotty cardle,you mean Stephen Simmons? I was looking forward to that big time, wadi Camacho had taken a bit of a liberty tweeting Simmons fiance and slagging her off with his pals and it had understandably got to Simmons at the press conference,I was hoping to see him spark Camacho which I think he would have..
    Big Anthony Joshua on the undercard,guys a tank..

Ricky burns i'm just hoping can get a win and decent performance and i'm hoping the last 2 especially the Beltran fight haven't taken too much out of him physically and mentally as it was painful just watching the little man fight 10 rounds with a broken jaw and in truth take a real battering..
    I've not seen Crawford but he comes with a good reputation, he's unbeaten in all his fights think it's 20 pro fights and I never knew he'd fought and beat the likes of Danny Garcia as an * who I think is a great fighter by the way so this is gonna be real tough,as long as Ricky boxes at range and uses the jab to perfection which we know those 2 are his best attributes then he has a big chance..
    Hit a sticky patch but burns for me is still a great fighter,I hope he does it as he's carrying the flag for the big boxing events in Glasgow/Scotland where the atmosphere is unrivalled!

13. Celtic Symphony

I already knew about the Simmons fight being off but I meant to say Crolla who was to fight John Simpson on the undercard but has also pulled out due to injury, John Murry has stepped in now.

Simmons will get a shot at Camacho soon enough and I think he will give him a right seeing too.

Your right about Ricky and his jab, he has gotta use it smart and keep Crawford at a distance, the good thing is we know Ricky can take a few hits and with the technical ability Crawford has I think he will end up on the receiving end of a couple.

Crawfords * past is very impressive so it's obvious he has the ability to outbox some top drawer opponents but he has yet to be tested against anyone of Rickys resolve and defensive capabilities in the pro game, I think it comes down to, does Crawford have the power to hurt Burns when he catches him, if not then Burns will take him out in the later rounds imo. I think the judging on the Beltran fight plays into Burns hands because if Crawford knows it's close he will go for broke instead of taking a chance on the scorecards which will hopefully leave him open for Ricky to knock him out.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Oh right mate,crolla would have done Simpson in my opinion but Simpson and murray is still a tough fight, hopefully Simpson can come through it..
    Will be an action fight that one..
    Yeah Simmons I hope would ruin Camacho,I saw Camacho against that China something fella from Leeds who stopped him and to say I thought he was * was an understatement against a guy who took the fight on 2 weeks notice..

The key here for ricky is his durability, it's well known he could go on well past the 12 if need be and he can certainly hold a punch or come back from it rather..
    Was listening to Ricky and billy nelson talking about the approach for this and that he's gonna come forward throwing plenty of combinations of the jab..
    It's gonna be an interesting tough fight that will probably go the 12,the big question your right is if Crawford can handle the pace of burns till the end as he hasn't had a really gough opponent to date yet,Ricky will be his hardest fight by far..
    This will be Ricky's tenth world title fight and I reckon that will stand him in good stead,ricky to win unanimous point decision is my bet..

15. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

The * gut on Tyson Furey

16. Onefootwonder

Looked like an * fight.

17. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Chisora is a fud

18. Onefootwonder

Judging by this thread, no interest. Judging by the stadium used, no interest. The place was half empty.

19. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Chisora and Fury both done pretty well. What a wasted talent Kevin Johnson is though, could have won that fight easy. My opinion on the Groves Froch fight. I had money on Groves on points the first fight. I was really unhappy with the stoppage at the time, but i've seen far worse. I don't think the rematch goes the distance. Froch will come out all guns blazing like the Bute fight. He might just get caught and stopped. There will be far more pressure on Groves this time round. Im going with Froch stoppage before the third. Should be a nice price :50:

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Good night of boxing last night..

What a win for curtis woodhouse over hamilton who was 1/4 on,delighted he beat that cocky * and his manager..
    Tommy coyle left it late aswell,knocked down 4/5 times,points deducted and got a dodgy stoppage in the final round,kevin mitchell would retire this guy though..

Nice build up to next week!