1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic-bound Adam Matthews - another Welsh youngster tipped for stardom

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by mickcfc91, Mar 7, 2011.

Discuss Celtic-bound Adam Matthews - another Welsh youngster tipped for stardom in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Celtic-bound Adam Matthews - another Welsh youngster tipped for stardom

March 03, 2011 | Player to Watch | 0 Comments | [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#username=imscouting"></SCRIPT>
    [​IMG]
    Adam Matthews

Related Links

Competitions

Championship Teams

Cardiff City Players

Adam Matthews

Wales may be struggling in Euro 2012 qualifying, without a point and bottom of Group G.
    But there is hope for the future for new manager Gary Speed with number of promising youngsters at his disposal.
    The likes of Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey have been mentioned for obvious reasons, but one young starlet who is yet to receive a full international call-up is 19-year-old Cardiff right-back Adam Matthews , who has just been signed on a pre-contract agreement with Celtic.
    And while it may not be before the end of this qualifying campaign, he is certain to start racking up the international appearances before long and become a major force for club and country.
    History
    Matthews had a less than smooth start to his boyhood career. A broken arm brought his trial at his hometown club Swansea to a premature end, and when he recovered and came knocking on the Swans door once again, he was informed that their youth quota was full.
    So off Matthews trotted to South Wales rivals Cardiff City . And after joining the academy aged eight, he came through the youth ranks and signed a professional contract in January 2009.
    It wasn't long before he was on the fringes of the first team, sitting on the bench in the closing stages of the season against Charlton Athletic, and making his debut at the start of the next campaign against current Premier League side Blackpool.
    Injuries in the Cardiff squad and his own good form meant Matthews went on to play 32 times that season for the Bluebirds, and he even scored an albeit fortuitous goal against Watford.
    And his performances didn't go unnoticed, with Manchester United and Arsenal linked with his signature, and the Football League naming him as the Championship's Apprentice of the Year.
    Matthew played for Wales at under 17 and under 19 and under-21 levels, and in November 2009, he was even called up to the Wales senior squad for a friendly against Scotland, although he was an unused substitute.
    The teen has made eight appearances this season for Cardiff. He is deemed one of the most exciting young prospects in the Championship and has been tipped for great things at the Hoops next term.
    Strengths
    Matthews is a smart full-back, with excellent positional sense. His technique and composure on the ball belie his young age, possibly as he actually began playing as a midfielder. He doesn't appear to be fazed by any opponent and he reads the game very well.
    He has a good blend of defensive and attacking qualities, offering a great option going forward, particularly with his excellent good crossing ability.
    He has a high level of stamina and decent aggression, and like the man he was once touted to replace at Manchester United, Gary Neville, he has the added weapon of a long throw-in.
    Weaknesses
    Like any young player, Matthews does have a few weaknesses which can definitely be purged with experience and hard work.
    He is a tad lacking in pace and acceleration, and he'll need to boost that side to his game if he is to come out on top against the very best wide men.
    He also needs to improve his leap and heading game, as he isn't the best in the air.
    And while he is s great crosser of the ball, his passing could become more incisive.
    Mentality
    Matthews has a great, professional mentality. He is a modest lad, who works hard on his game and has had no disciplinary problems to date.
    Cardiff academy assistant manager Geraint Twose has described him as "a shining example to every young player on how to perform on the pitch, and also how to behave off the pitch."
    And the unassuming Matthews himself says he has been surprised at his rapid progress.
    "It’s been a surprising start for me being in the Cardiff City first team already and then called up by Wales for the under-21s squad," he said. "I’d not really expected to be in this squad yet, but I’m loving being a part of what is happening.”
    Current situation
    Six of his eight appearances this season under Dave Jones have been as substitute as he is behind 25-year-old Scot Paul Quinn in the pecking order. But that didn't deter Celtic manager Neil Lennon, aware of his massive potential, tying him down to a four-year contract, which will begin in July.
    Quinn himself a Scot, has tipped Matthews to be an SPL star.
    "Adam has all the footballing attributes to be one of the best players in Scotland," Quinn said. "He is a good player now and will get better with Celtic - he is going to shine in the SPL. Adam can save Celtic a fortune. I don`t think he is anywhere near the finished article yet. That will come because he`s a brilliant talent designed for big things."
    Moving to Scotland could be an ideal move for Matthews as it will give the youngster more of a chance to play regular first-team football and fulfill his huge potential.
    He could even be playing Champions League football next season, and he'll most certainly "love being a part" of that.

Celtic-bound Adam Matthews - another Welsh youngster tipped - IMScouting

2. KhingLarsson

Really good signing. Cardiff are practically our youth team now :icon_mrgreen: we essentially stole £10m worth of talent off them.

3. TAB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    I was over the moon with this signing. I've watched a couple of times and he stood out as one of Cardiff's best performers on the night and that's impressive considering he's only 19.

All the reports and the media stories suggest that he's going to be a future star and from the very few times I've seen him, I would be inclined to agree. Potentially brilliant signing by Celtic.

I can't wait to see more of him.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Very exciting prospect, look forward to seeing him in the hoops.

5. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    we have donr no such thing! we have offered contracts to players who are comming to the end of their contract there and are doing it the correct and legal way, no stealing mate.

6. pelethebhoy

I wouldn't get over excited it says he is not fast or great in the air, which are 2 qualities that are important in the spl if you are a defender.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I'm not getting excited about some words on the internet, I've seen him play on numerous occasions (albeit last season) and he was a stand out every time.

8. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    doesnt make you a bad player tbh!

9. TAB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    They are two things which can easily be improved.

He is one of the hottest prospects in the Championship and his good positional sense, reading of the game and his great technique are fantastic qualities to have naturally. Find me a teenager that doesn't have parts of his game that need improved.

He has massive potential and hopefully our coaches can mould him onto a quality player.

10. Heisenberg

Another player nicked from cardiff for free, absolutely love it. They must hate us :56:

11. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Will be a good signing. Could possible turn into right midfielder.

12. pelethebhoy

I hope your right mate, it looks like we are pushing the boat out to get the best up and coming prospects with the intention of giving them first team football, then selling them on for big transfer fees. Hopefully these boys do break through, which only helps to pull in more top young players eager to play first team football at the top level.

I actually sometimes enjoy watching the u19s as much as the first team.

13. Dáibhí

With the financial climate as it is, this is exactly the kind of signing that Celtic need to be making.

Excellent.

14. LloydsGamble

It says he is a tad lacking in pace, which could be a problem against the very best wide men - you don't find those in the SPL

Mark Wilson doesn't have any great pace but like Matthews, reads the game superbly - more important for full backs in my opinion.

15. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Good young talent and hope he can do well .

16. Shane1888

Can't wait until his debut, see what he's really made of :50:

17. KhingLarsson

Of course I know it was legal, that was a tongue in cheek comment. We're NOT the huns we don't cheat, whether its taxes or on the field.