1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] shane long

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Mince.Charming, Feb 18, 2011.

Discuss shane long in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucysantrimbhoy

Would be delighted with this signing if it happens. £5mil is high but he's young and by far the best forward in the Championship. Also see we are linked with John Sutton on a free. Sign them both, sell Sammy for £3mil and Daryl Murphy for £500k and we would have a superb forward brigade for an extra £2mill

2. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    yeah i have to agree. somehow some players talents are boosted or reputations are boosted on here because they are Irish. i wouldn't spend £5m on him. good player no doubt but the time when we go back to spending £5m on one player is gone. last time we did that was 10 or 11 years ago and i just don't see that happening any time soon. would take him for £3m though no question about it.

lol i see his valuation has jumped £1m in one day. now valued at £6m by the DailyMail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-join-6m-race-Reading-striker-Shane-Long.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
  3. Chrissymac1888

Living in Reading I've seen a lot of Shane Long, went to Reading the same time as Doyle..

Was mostly terrible when starting games, until a little run last season. Was terrible up to about November, had only scored 2 goals in that time.

6million is far too much to be paying for a striker off the back of 1 decent season.

4. Stuboy

Lets be honest if newcastle and everton are after him we wont be able to complete financially on wages or the transfer fee. Gone are the days when we will spend £4m never mind £6m on a single player.

5. Stuboy

Agree with chrissymac £6m well over rated:bbpd:

6. Conor1994

We are richer than Everton. They are close to administration.

And we spent 4 mill on MAF.

7. marco1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean south
    yeah your right mate .......how did that work out for us lol

8. pod

I never said we could not afford it, I say we will not spend that on one player and you're dreaming if you think otherwise.

9. Conor1994

But somehow the bankrupt huns can pay nearly that for Jelavic?

10. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    in a scale to 1-10 here? do you seriously think celtic will pay that for 1 player? cos i dont tbh.

11. chief1989

not the point of this thread but celtic have made profit, either through player sales or by cutting the wage budget, every year for the past 3-4 years at least...peter lawell is just very good at the way he presents it so it looks like we're spending.

anyway, no chance whatsoever that we'll spend anything close to £5million on a player with 12 months left on his contract who has only started banging in the goals this season

12. Costello

5m? Better trying for Kevin Doyle when Wolves go down for that kind of money

13. Stuboy

Define richer?? Everton are guaranteed £30m + every season because of the league they are in. Straight away that would suggest that they could probably offer more money than us in a bidding war. Don't know anything about an impending administration so would not want to comment on it. Newcastle just got £35m for Carrol. Do you honestly think we would/could compete with these two, if either decide he is their man, cmon...

In respects to MAF, i did say "gone are the days". I would be very surprised if we spend c £4m for one player unless there was a cut price superstar available to help season ticket sales, sell shirts etc. But on that note lets look at MAF, someone that didn't quite cut it in the hoops - however that said unlike long he already had and has since gained experience in the EPL and done alright with some of teams he has played for there. My point being the board would maybe consider paying this amount for someone like Keane (only an example), but not someone with one good season in the championship behind them.

Question - do you think we would have got Hooper if everton & newcastle were sniffing around and £6m was getting bandied about, doubt it very much :97:

14. Stuboy

This sentence explains everything, less than 12 months ago they paid this for a player, knowing exactly the financial mess that they were in at the time. Now look at them...

Celtic probably COULD spend this on a player but WON'T.:50:

15. RHbhoyforlifeRH

You's do know that his contract ends at the end of the season.

16. bogbhoy

Get him in, pay whatever. Get rid of all the fringe players, good lock of em n buy 2 or 3 quality players, make Long one of em

17. Ledley

"Pay whatever" really? he is not as good as everyone is making him out to be he has had one average season his goalscoring record is pretty poor for a striker I know the reason people are desperate to sign him and why they are bigging him up but I wont say as it will no doubt result in me getting called a hun and getting banned.

18. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

heard Everton are in for him!

19. RHbhoyforlifeRH

He will not cost 5 million as he is free in the summer

20. Ledley

Hes not free in the summer did he not just sign a contract?.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.