1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Stokes

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Glen1888, Jan 26, 2011.

Discuss Anthony Stokes in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not exactly, he has 14 goals in 21 games

2. kennydal

Agree with this ,In Commons first season he was brilliant alongside Stokes and Hooper ,would love to see this again.

3. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon

Haha, I ws going to say, in actual fact his goals per game ratio this season (without Stokes) is a fair chunk higher than his overall career at Celtic thus far (including times where Stokes has been available.)

I don't read that much in to this, but to say that in Stokes' absence Hooper has stopped scoring appears to be a.....flawed judgement.

4. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'd love to see Stokes back, fit and scoring goals like he was for a chunk of last season.

On form, I think he is the best finisher at the club.

To see him and Hooper back as a partnership would be great.

5. JamesLaverty25

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Moravcik, Samaras, Petrov, Sutton, Lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Rather have Stokes than Miku

6. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon

Interesting to read you saying that Paul.....personally, think Hooper is an even more naturally gifted player in terms of finishing.

Agree re return / partnership without doubt.

7. Roskopicachu

Actually, it's 14 in 25

5 goals, in 13 games in the league. He's played almost all the minutes in these games, he's only been substituted once and came on as sub once. I reckon that's a poor return.

He scored 5 in the league cup, 4 of which were against Raith Rovers. This has kind of boosted his stats because he notched 4 in one game.

So, if he had missed the Raith game, he'd be on 10 in 24.

Four in Europe, 2 goals qualifying and 2 in the league. It's not exactly setting the heather on fire. Tony Watt's got 5 in 11 and he's came on as a sub 5 times and with 2 assists, that's double the amount of goals Hooper has setup.

I reckon his best form is yet to come, but if you take the 5 goals from the games in the league cup, his stats are *.

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Interesting to see... however, you can't just go taking goals off of him to suit your argument! It's like taking away his 5 goals in a game against Hearts last season as "it's a stat booster"

I think that's reading too much into it though, he's had a completely different role this season (no doubt he is missing Stokes) and that's effected some of his goalscoring form, however, I still think it is clear he's an all round higher quality of player than Tony, even though Tony can do studf Hooper can't dream of.

9. Roskopicachu

What i meant was the game against Raith was an easy game and it maybe makes his stats look better than his all round game has shown.

We've tried Hooper up front with all the other strikers and he's come away with one assist, suggesting he hasn't formed a good partnership with any of the other strikers.

Stick him up front with Stokes and it's a different scenario altogether. All of a sudden the assists and the goals go through the roof.

Hooper's a good player, but to suggest he's worth 20 million and Stokes is worth 3 would be way off the mark. It's more a case of Hooper playing through the middle and Stokes dropping deeper or going out wide.

If Stokes is through the middle and Hooper is out wide, Stokes scores more goals than Hooper and is then seen as being a better striker.

It's all relevant to where you're playing on the pitch. I reckon if Hooper had been out injured and Stokes was through the middle up front, he'd be on more goals in the league.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don't think that's the case, it's Tony Stokes natural game to drop deep and out wide, Hooper can do this but he much rather prefers being the one on the end if the chances.

I'm a big fan of Stokes but he hasn't got quite the same killer instinct as Hooper, he takes 3/4 times as many shots as him for one. Hooper has a fantastic shots to goal ratio.

Chopping and changing of partnerships isn't helping him being able to link up with players, he's not played one game with Miku, 3 or 4 times with Lassad, Same with Watt, sometimes upfront with Commons who is really not a striker or he's been upfront himself linking up play.

His assists have came down because of a mixture of this, no Stokes and a change of how he is being utilised within the team.

11. limerickmick

The British army murder people and we are coerced into minutes of silence,fundraising and giving them priority for jobs

12. LB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Hooper ,All Time -"Jinky"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song

Give it a rest ..do we have to read this in nearly every thread !!! ....this is stokesys thread ..Hope to see him back soon and banging the goals in :50:

13. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    has anyone been listening to super scoreboard they have been saying lenny is dropping hints stokes maybe gone in january

14. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Think he will be off in the summer .

15. Celtic abu

On form, he is our best all round forward. It would be * stupid to sell him and I would be very dissapointed in Lennon if he did. He has him to thank for still being in a job. People can peddle this "SPL striker only" pish all they like. He has never been given a proper chance in a "big game". Would people not consider that game at Kille a big game? What about the couple of games ge got in Europe? Was one of our best players in the Europa League last season but yet people just believe any old * they hear about him. Personally, he would be the second name on the teamsheet for me, only behind Beram Kayal. Can`t wait until he is back but if he decides to leave, I would not blame him one bit because he has been treated like * by the club since he got here

Btw, this isn`t me ranting on the back of some bullshit media story, its just my opinion

16. Adam426

I agree with that. Thought after the Rennes matches he's a better lone forward than Hooper due to his superior pace, movement and dribbling. Would be kind of hard to justify now as their careers have taken completely different trajectories since then. But IMO when Stokes gets back to form he will be as good as Hooper. And we miss him a lot in the SPL as he's one of our only players that actually stretches teams. Can't believe it's been nearly a year since he's got a run in the first team. Looking forward to him being back so much. The cliche of it being like a new signing definitely applies.

17. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    this is the thing though as a player does a great job but how you live your life away from the club can reflect on the club and/or have an adverse effect on you when i was told my info the guy told me it was because he had plenty of chances but that lenny had got fed up with him not learning from his mistakes spose maybe it shows how we dont know every detail of this story

18. Damnati

I'm just not buying any of this crap yet.

19. Roskopicachu

Hooper and Stokes run riot in the league. It's all hype really and i don't buy into it either. It's like all of these things, their is no Celtic story, so they make one up.

The team's looking good and Stokes just adds pace and firepower. I remember Lawell running Kenny Miller out the team, when he looked like coming onto a game and that one big time. Maybe the problem is more with Lawell than Lenny, if their even is one.

I couldn't care less what he's up to off the park, how he lives his life. Say their was a problem last season, did he look out of shape or overweight?

When all the hype was about Commons and Lenny having a bust up, how did that one pan out? Did Commons leave? No, he came right onto his best form. Players have run-ins with managers from time to time, it's normal. It keeps everyone fired up. I expect Stokes to come back right on the boil, just hope he can stay fit now for a sustained run in the team.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

Lawwell chased miller out because he was making a £3m profit on a Bosman signing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.