1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Set Pieces

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Kutek, Dec 26, 2010.

Discuss Set Pieces in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Kutek

Is it just me or have celtic become very poor in the set peice department a few years ago a corner/free kick to celtic was one of the most dangerous times in a match with at least the majority of times a shot on target. The threat from corners these days are woefull, whats going wrong? is it the delivery? the fact we dont have any target men anymore? or quite possibly that the celtic team just doesnt possess enough quality at the current time?

Its worrying times at celtic park atm just hope we can pick up a few decent signings in january :(

2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Our players have a poor heading ability. Ki delivers it well, but we get outjumped usually. And when we do get to a header, it usually doesn't go in.

3. MartinR

we are * simple

4. superhooper1

GET LENNON OUT

5. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Keep on topic superhooper, take this as a warning

6. LB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Hooper ,All Time -"Jinky"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    Whats this to do with Lenny is he taking them ?? errr i suspect not ....Blame the poor delivery which leaves a lot to be desired all too often lately

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Delivery into the box was shocking today.

8. 30stm87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing.
    Usually we do put a good delievery into the box, but I've been noticing that myself, that no1 really fights for it in the air. Today we had Samaras, Murphy, Rogne & Majstorovic all in the box to fight in the air, all 6ft plus, big built guys, surely they could have won a few headers?? & surely could have tested the keeper, if not beat the keeper with 1 of them, cos we did have a * of a lot of corners today, but it just kept coming back out time & time again, was so annoying!!

9. quadebhoy

No player attacked the front post once and that is where most of ki corners were played into.

10. jokeybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ynwa
    its poor set up and taking i think.we must have had close to 30 over the last 2 games yet hardly an attempt at goal.the last 2 season our problem were defending set pieces now its attacking them

11. Kutek

the whole thing is from set peices it the oppertunity to apply pressure on the defence and keeper, the more pressure you apply the more chance of goals and mistakes , we barely test keepers at the moment its time for the big players to start leading the way and step up.

Today not 1 corner tested the keeper neither did any of the free kicks in a match day 1st XI we have no players that can hit a decent effort? that is worrying!

12. andycfc94

We still have a massive problems defending set pieces it's just scoring has become increasingly difficult as Ki's set pieces are rarely anywhere near anyone capable of scoring with their head

13. combene

big dan gets pushed around in the box by players half his size. with how big he is, he should be running through players

14. JamesConnolly

Big Danny gets out jumped in challenges I can't believe it everytime this happens. He cant even header a ball which is even harder to believe.

15. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ki's delivery has gone down a bit of late, in terms of both corners & freekicks. In saying that, however, those in the box have hardly been covering themselves in glory either, for when they do get a chance all too often its free headers going wide etc.

We are earning so many corners, and I think oppositions are happy to concede these, as very rarely does anything meaningful come from these.

16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Certainly in terms of our corners this season we have been very poor. Considering the high number of corner kicks we get most games we pose very little threat these days. Sometimes the delivery has not been great. But most times we simply do not seem to have any players who pose a genuine consistent threat off corners in particular. I think this has been a big factor in the recent draws as well.

17. jhimbhoab

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Fav Celtic Song:
    have u seen a handsome hun
    last time we were good at set pieces, the ginger ninja was the gaffer, and even then we were average.....it takes courage to throw yerself at a lost cause, make it a half chance, and turn that half chance into a goal....we have a squad thats waiting on a call from the nhs with a confirmed spine donor.....it takes courage as well as talent to win a league and we are sadly lacking in one of those depts. i dont mind losing in the right manner, but when we surrender points its unforgiveable.

18. Y.N.W.A

:56:

19. windowman

i have been complaining about our set plays for months , but the biggest problem is corner kicks , every team knows what we are going to do , i watched them today , when we get a corner all the players gather just ouside the six yard box at the back post , whan the ball is crossed they run in to the six yard box about level with the penalty spot and just jump no one actually looking at the ball , but the worst thing about it is no one goes towards the front post and in every corner apart from one today ki did not get the ball past the front post , our throw ins are shait our free kicks are * no one has any idea what to do , this cannot be getting worked on at training we are woefull and i do think lenny needs an experienced guy ( old head ) with him weather he likes it or not because he has no idea what this is doing to us for them to win 3 in a row is unthinkable ,

20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    4 or 5 guys well over 6ft tall and from corners and free kicks we are unable to test the opposition's keeper, whatever methods are being used on the training ground they aren't producing results.