1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Board Thread.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JamesConnolly, Dec 22, 2010.

Discuss The Board Thread. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Markybhoy

Personally I think a lot of the abuse Peter Lawwell gets on here is ill-informed ranting and just plain wrong. However, Peter Lawwell was partly culpable when we blew 4IAR and if we don't win the league this season he HAS to shoulder his share of the blame again. It was Peter Lawwell who allowed himself to be swayed by the wishes of the fans and appointed Neil Lennon, a total novice, to be our manager. I wasn't sure that was a good move back in the summer and I'm even less sure it was a good move now.

Overall I think Peter Lawwell has done a very good job for Celtic but if things implode between now and May then Peter Lawwell will, in my opinion, have played a central role in losing two league championships. That would move him into the territory of not being the right man for the job anymore. Lawwell has invested a lot of faith, and a lot of his own credibility, in Neil Lennon. I just hope his faith is rewarded come May.

2. Redbaz

You better start praying to St Jude for lost causes because I have started and you should as well and then it will be a miracle:84:

3. northeast67

tad freeking harsh.(cancer) get a grip of yourself and silly comments with such words........:31:

4. horseshoe

:50:

Yes exactly, Lawell and the board have to shoulder a good deal of blame for what has happened over the last few seasons, but overall they have done a good job of keeping the club finacially stable.

Too many fans are very naive when it comes to money and what we can afford to spend on players, and don't realise how important a job it is the board do to keep us stable.

Even just in this thread I'm reading why can't we invest like we did with MON and spend X many millions because we'll make it back easily, except you know what, we didn't make it back, when MON left and Strachan came in, his remit was to bring success but ultimately reduce our wage bill dramatically.

So if Desmond threw 50mil in as some have said, which he can't do because we're a plc and it doesn't work like that, if he did he'd have to become a private owner like murray at rangers and be willling to throw away millions he'll never see again which would make him a borderline retarded businessman. And even then we might gain a few years success, but we'd be forced to downsize spending all over again in a few years because that kind of spening isn't sustainable in as poor a league as ours.

5. gary88

yes but we had the chance to bury rangers and make it 4 in a row and when we badly needed that striker to help us get over the finishing line. They bought Willo Flood on the cheap, sums up their attitude to me

6. jokeybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ynwa
    Yes the board have made some bad moves but the biggest problem over the last 6 or 7 years has been a lot of poor signings.although the likes of gravesen and jarosik and maybe even brown should have been better( not the clubs fault) the signing of too many fringe players like flood,killen and loovens has been our biggest mistake .we could fill a sheet of a4 paper with our poor signings over the last few years.only a small number have been worthy of wearing the hoops

7. pod

The irony of calling others naive. You have proved the point of those of us who think we should show a higher level of investment in your next paragraph. We can spend money AND make money. As WGS proved. He was allowed to offer good wages to players. Naka/JVOH/Gravesen/Jarosik as examples. He also put Mcdonald and McGeady,eg, on good contract. He did all this while reducing our debt (which was needed after MON) by approx £8m per season. It shows that if you have decent quality and a product that the fans (customers) want to see, they will turn up and spend their money.

Which then begs the question, why are we not prepared to do it any more? The wisdom of this constant downsizing can be seen by all through the very poor standards on the park and the masses of empty seats in the stands.

8. jokeybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ynwa
    the board must be content with the level of attendance or they would do more to attract the fans back.

9. pod

Then they're at the wrong place then if they are.

10. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

The attendance is * pathetic.I blame the football thats being played,the weather and the board.

11. JamesConnolly

The attendance is a disgrace to our club and to fellow supports its a red neck for us, and the European and world supporters from other clubs are laughing at this. To be honest its more of a laughing stock. The football is just as bad as the attendances and the weather imho isn't and excuse. Ok if your snowed in fair enough but if you love Celtic you will go its as simple as that.

As I have typed up again, the board got Lennon and gave him the money buy players. The board are even that desperate they are putting £10 for 2 games this season THATS how bad the attendances are and where the * did 44k come from Sky Sports? what game were they watching? . * disgrace of the board get them to *. BOARD OUT! especially Reid.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
  12. combene

the board tells the support that if they want to come to parkhead, you must sit down and shut up as they are the boss. yeah, that'll be well recieved by the celtic faithful. talk about out of touch. know your market? they haven't a clue

13. gary88

the board are slowly pushing the fans away and i for one am glad because we might actually see a reaction towards the board soon. All the board care about are the figures not the trophies

14. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Its a certainty mate."Back the team,Sack the board".Were not far away from it in my opinion.

15. HunSkelper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Actually it's the government that says that, sitting at football grounds is a UK wide law.

16. gary88

celtic are the only club to continually tell their own supporters durin the game in britain bit far is it not?

17. combene

ok fine. why is it that no other team in scotland or elsewhere makes these announcements during the game. why is it that the huns can stand and do the bouncy at our ground til they bust the concrete below them but as soon as the poppy banner went up, the board now has to have a go at anyone standing and releases statements and makes announcements like they are the headmasters/warders and we are the children/inmates. there's a right way and a wrong way to do everything and in terms of PR, this board consistently finds the wrong way

18. shughie

Apparently you dont think the BOARD are involved in signings, I say they are, in fact negotiating is not done by Lennon its done by the BOARD!
    I genuinely dont like the way Celtic are run, and firmly believe the BOARD are responsible for losing big money, and I dont see any change in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
  19. HunSkelper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    The desire to not break the law.

20. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

John Reid does not care what people think,no matter how vociferous they are,the invasion of Iraq an example.It doesn't matter how many people are against him,how many people tell him hes wrong,how much deep down he knows hes wrong-* still do things the way he wants and wed better sit down and shut up while hes at it.I knew it was a mistake letting the slimy wee * anywhere near Celtic.He helped this country to become one of the most hated in the world,and will be complicit in * things up again for Celtic,as is currently happening.I guarantee protests,real ones, not a few bodies at Hampden like the last one if he and the board are going to do things like this much longer.We all know that famous Jock Stein quote,the board need to take the great mans words into serious consideration.