1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

backpacking thailand

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by ChrisMoh, Dec 7, 2010.

Discuss backpacking thailand in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    going backpacking in thailand next year.probably stay in khao san road area.any celtic bars near hear or anywhere else in thailand?.going myself so hoping to bump into some scottish people.

2. Conor1994

Khao san road? Isn't that where the backpacker in The Beach stays?

3. WaterfordCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Keano
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    khao san road is in bangkok, stayed there for a few days about 4 years ago. bangkok is a dirty, smelly * hole, get out to the islands and northern thailand as quick as you can, you'll find a few irish bars on the islands alright, pm me and ill give you a few names if you want. they show the football.

4. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    defo going to travel round a bit.hoping to go to phuket & chang mai.

5. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    hello mate,

yep as a couple the lads have said get ta * outa Bangkok, its a kip in my opinion, especially the khoa san road. get your * to the islands, koh tao, samui, phi phi etc.. never been in Chaing mai but its meant to be a great spot.

As for Celtic pubs never came across any as such but heard there is one in Pattaya but again thats a kip but lots of Irish bars. wouldnt worry bout meeting fellow tims as i have meet loads out there. I once watched an Old firm game on koh Phangan the night of the full moon party, half the bar was us and the other half them, we lost so it was a bit of a downer, till of course we hit the beach ha. Enjoy anyway its a great country!!!:50:

6. tino1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo - Larsson - Stubbs - Hartson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields - Over & Over
    my friends auld man runs the rockhouse in pattaya. Got all celtic matches on n mad celtic man

7. The The Hand

The Khao San Road is a good area for meeting other travellers and getting the latest news etc, but as others have said, I'd mibbe treat Bangkok as a short-stay option. There's a couple of really beautiful wow-factor temples that are worth seeing (the reclining Buddha statue is pretty mindblowing) but the city is very polluted and often pretty mercenary.

The islands, on the other hand, are wonderful. Koh Tao would be my recommendation, v good diving, and wasn't as crowded & touristy as places like Phuket and Koh Samui last time I was there.

Nearly all these island locations are great for snorkelling & scuba diving - I had no experience of either when I got there, so it was a real eye-opener, there are some amazing things to be seen under the waterline in this part of the world. If you haven't got scuba experience, I think Thailand is still a very cheap place to do the training qualification - well worth it.

8. BigWilly.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Mcgrain, Boruc, Jinky, Lubo, Di Canio, Ki, Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Bhoys of the Old Brigade
    Bangkok is dirty but is a really fun city I would recommend spending a week or 2 there, but you should go to thailand with out going to Phuket I know there are quite a few Irish and scottish ex-pats there.

9. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

i like the look of koh tao.can i get there from koh samui?.will i find cheap accomadation on koh tao?.

10. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    bein told its a dump & can be quite dangerous if your not careful.still going to check it out its a good base to start from with buses,trains,planes to all over thailand.

11. WaterfordCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Keano
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    ferries go between all the islands more or less, accommodation is cheap wherever you go but it depends on what you want to be staying in. bring a few rolls of bogroll, sudo creem and baby wipes in the backpack is my advice.
    try phi phi island, its a serious spot, not as touristy and the sand and water is just unreal.

12. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    am planning on going to phi phi.thats the island in the beach.any countries round about like laos & vietnam worth going to.anyone any experiance of these places are they safe etc.