1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Gary Hooper

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by samson81, Jul 27, 2010.

Discuss Gary Hooper in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ruxin

I'm glad he hasn't get picked yet, imagine him working even harder in the CL to impress Hodgson. I think being left out at this stage will make him a better player in the long run.

2. oh bhoy

hooper has so much more to his game than defoe , hooper is exactly what england need i hope he doesnt get called up i would be inclined to tune in and have to listen to all that "shades of 66" bollocks

3. StrikinMidfield

Pretty much this. Rooney is pure class, and Carroll is a totally different player that is probably about as efficient as Hooper, but ends up being better because a tall striker isn't common and they offer a very important aerial threat. Compared to Welbeck he's much better in my opinion. Defoe is in the same boat as Welbeck for this I'd say.

4. Hadouken

Hooper for england is my dream.

5. CharlieMulgrini

Not that anyone has totally got mr wrong, but you got me a bit wrong on this.

What I meant was: Hodgson can only really choose 4 strikers. With Caroll, Defoe, Rooney and Wellbeck in there - irrespective of what you think of their respective qualities - Gary will have a tough time getting in ahead of one of those players. I'm not saying I don't think he's not as good as any of them - I personally feel he's the best English striker on current form, period - but I can't see him getting in ahead of that four. Unless injuries occur.

Plus there are other strikers in the EPL Hodgson may go for if injuries happen: Crouch, etc.

It's all good for Celtic, as Gary will have to keep performing - Fraser being called up helps keep 'the dream alive' so to speak. In short he deserves it, but I'll be surprised if he's included after Christmas despite his goals recently or before then.

6. Belfast Lad

can hooper not play for scotland due to him never getting a cap for england and living in scotland for x number of years

could be talking pure pish here but just something i always thought....

7. LucasBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Need to have a Scottish parent or grandparent I think dude. :50:

8. Chris Sutton

:56:

9. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Hooper over Carroll any day for me, Hooper scored more goals in the season when he and Carroll were both playing in the championship and Hooper was playing for a far worse team than Carroll was.

10. Shane1888

Hooper * all over Carroll. There's no debate about it.

11. willsad83

12. Sideshow Bob

65 pages of hooper for England and can I be bothered to read one of them? * no!! but should he be in the England squad, why the * not. I'd pick him. Then again I'm biased coz I love him to death for a goal scoring genius!

13. Dallas Cowbhoys

Obviously Hooper is better than Carroll but I imagine England will always pick one big striker to inevitably hoof balls up to once they're losing and their "passing game" has failed.

Imo he's definitely better than Welbeck and Defoe is debatable.....but if Adebayor comes back into the side, Defoe doesn't get a game often, and Hooper keeps playing well in the Champions League then I could envisage Hodgson picking Hooper.

14. StrikinMidfield

Yeah this was pretty much what I was trying to say about the Carroll thing. Tall strikers are important, just look at Ibra.

15. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Aye you're spot on mate. 5 years citizenship required. Cacau who plays for Stuttgart plays for Germany and even scored for them at the world cup in 2010 even though he is Brazilian.

16. cammy07

There is no way he will play for Scotland, undoubtedly he will go on to get caps for England, sooner rather than later I'd imagine, He is pure English I think, so I can't see why playing for Scotland would appeal to him

17. ArmchairGeorge Gold Member Gold Member

His Grandad is scottish but i thought he played for the england under 21s over the scotland 21s?
    im no sure i think i read this somewhere?

18. Sideshow Bob

No never. Behave Hooper for Scotland, I've got more chance... or nessie....

19. smithy18

Don't think he is mate Scotland looked into this 2 seasons ago and he had no relatives from Scotland that would allow him to qualify

20. JC-X

His grandfather was born in Berwick-upon-Tweed, almost literally a stones throw over the border - used to be in Scotland actually. So as close as you can get to being Scottish without being Scottish. :54: :smiley-laughing002:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012