1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Stokes

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by celticfc482, Jul 25, 2010.

Discuss Anthony Stokes in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperNick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson / McStay / Pierre Van Hooijdonk / Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Coming home
    eh?

championship league is not in anyway a lower level than SPL. It's not about who you buy from, its who you buy. Did you know Joe Hart was bought by City a few year ago for only 600k fom Shrewsbury in league one. Now look at him!!

Stokes is a simple player but proven SPL, he puts the ball in the net. If he can do that for us regularly, who wouldn't be pleased.

2. dazza585

a 3rd choice championship keeper that they dont want to sell so they are sending him out on loan to get experience. is that what we have become? a feeder club for newcastle to send players ? embarrassing !!

3. doctor venglos

I seem to remember Stokes scoring a great goal with his head against us last year. It is not all about about holding the ball up or beating players when you are a forward.A striker's main role and duty is to put the ball in the back of the net. Hooper and Stokes have demonstrated an aptitude and propensity at doing that regularly.We had a £4M forward called Fortune who was great at holding the ball up, but he couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.

What good is that ?

4. Celtic_Jorge

Honestly if this guy can bang in at least 20 goals for us this season then WHY ARE PEOPLE COMPLAINING?????????????

Are you people just rating him on that one game against the Buddies or what? OF course he's not going to be at the top of his game, the whole time he was thinking about coming here..

I really don't get it. Sure he may not be an ace for us in Europe but this will help us stop the filthy scummy * on the other side of the clyde from winning the title for the third time in a row!!!!!!

5. Hadouken

Cant wait to see him get stuck in! I can see him scoring a bucket load for us. :icon_mrgreen:

6. celtic warrior

were you saying that when unknown/failures with a their previous club were signing only to become hero's?

Boruc was basically a unknown went on to be a real fan fav, Henrik was struggling big time in holland enough said, Sutty couldn't do shyte at chelsea and we still paid £6mill for him!!! Harston was almost becoming a journeyman and like Sutty paid £6mill for him, Naka maybe came with a bit of notice and respect from italy but stilll a relative unknown scored one of the most iconic goals against man u of my era, basically the whole of MON team with a few expections like camara and sylla a few of Wim's and WGS, and With Neils we are yet to see with regards to targets of higher qaulity, yes it is what we have become, the SPL is not attractive to about 95% of players from abroad that are any good anymore the players in the EPL will forever prefer the MONEY and the qaulity against/with them, so unless we recruit young and mould them whether it be wee scots or touted teens from equal leagues of the SPL, Stokes his is the best we can afford and the best we can really hope for.

to be honest the guys record in the SPL is water tight and unbreakable and right now thats all celtic should care about so * well done on atleast agreeing £1.2mill thats a bargin.

7. dazza585

if its such a bargain why didnt we sign him in the summer?? whos next in the door. craig dargo? jon daly?
    if this is what we have become then you might as well lock the gates at parkhead and close the place up. chris killen had just as good a record at hibs as stokes. riordan scored plenty at hibs playing from the wing or midfield.remember what happened to them? joke of a signing and i am willing to bet that if samaras isnt sold he will start before stokes, hooper and murphy as he is 10 times the player of any of them 3. * help us if we do sell sammy and have to go into the season with them 3. i can see smith * himself across the city at the thought of them 3

8. hoops1

hes here now have to back him and get on wae it

9. podnel67

Get a grip and get behind your team ffs. Close the place? utter bollocks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  10. celtic warrior

with celtic so far keeping 3 in 3 clean sheets in the SPL and the midfield not looking as weak as it did and with Hooper and Stokes respectively getting 42 goals between them for their clubs who were both fairly shoddy at times as even Hoopers team diced with relegation while Murphy albeit got 6 odd goals in 16 apperances for ipswich Smithy should rightly be concerd if you ask me.

with regards to getting him last summer maybe it had something to do with chasing of another Hibs striker in young Fletcher that sadly failed and saw him go to Burnley and the overpaid odds of £3.8mill of MAF which had then left us with no time and little money as we then spent pretty much the rest to get players like Fox and so on.

now obviously Riordan had an equal record to Stokes while at Hibs but if reports are to be believed then Riordan had one * of a stinking attitude and therefore had many a clash of personality with the firey wee redhead that was WGS and if it weren't for that i'm sure that alot of fans on here would agree Riordan would have been a fairly decent success as when given a proper chance he still managed to get some goals for us and Stokes has shown good maturity since his teen years by way of his admittance of turning us down to join the EPL to later fail, but later comeback to the SPL, get his head down, focus on his footie and bang in the goals for a true yo yo form team in Hibs.

Killen? well like you said again had a decent record for Hibs but just never worked out, maybe that something to do with not really finding a system he could work in much like the Gravesen enigma perhaps? sadly not much i can debate with there which is fair enough.

so overall mate I really don't know what you expect as anyone else who could generate the goals Stokes can atm outside the SPL would cost us just like Keane in excess of £7mill and in excess of probably £40k a week in wages, so unless you can name a player like that who won't cost that and will even bother to consider the mess that is the SPL as league over the EPL and other countries albeit the one their in, Spain, Italy, Holland, Portugal, Russia, the English Championship, France, Germany etc...

so unless Celtic go join the EPL right now and a arab billionaire comes on board, it seems like you personally are going to be one unhappy celtic fan

11. Hez

Fav Celtic Player:
    Efrain Juarez, Gary Hooper, Jos Hoovield, Joe Ledley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone/ Let The People Sing.
    Here here!

The guy scores goals. I have no doubt he'll hit 20 odd this season. So why are people complaining about him? Give the lad a chance to pull on the shirt!

12. brightoncsc

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    field of Athenry
    do you think hooper and stokes an play together ? great signing though think murphy was a awaste of resources

13. gally'

I just think sometimes Stein's famous saying comes into play about the shirt not fitting inferior players.

Killen was a goal scorer, there has been many before and after him. It's okay scoring goals and not expecting to win every match at hibs or in England.

Celtic won't accept that, the job as striker at Celtic comes with severe pressure. Hoefully he can use it to spur him on become a fans favourite. He'll be given the service to score goals I have no doubt.

I'll be behind him from the start to the end. He'll be wearing that hallowed shirt and that's all that matters.

Hopefully he can do his talking on the pitch because we have been crying out for goals from a striker.

14. Mark

Stokes will get a lot more chances to score goals with Celtic than he did with Hibs so it's likely, if he plays regularly, that he will stick the ball in back of the net on a regular basis for us. Remember he is only 22 - young player with a lot to learn.

What about when Kris Boyd signed for Rangers? He signed from Kilmarnock a relatively young age with a good scoring record in the SPL. He had only really scored goals in the SPL for Killie. Stokes has scored goals for Falkirk and Hibs up here, and also played at a few clubs down south, including Arsenal so really does have a good background.

Let's give him a chance. I would say he is actually more proven than Gary Hooper IMO. The only real reason there should be doubts is basically because Celtic have a lot of strikers at the club at the moment and there is a question over why we need another.

If Stokes delivers 20 goals for us this season I will be delighted. Let's give him a chance.

15. pelethebhoy

Agree 100% mate

16. Rosleabhoy

Dazza slating Celtic....wow

17. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    I don't see the comparison here to Killen. Aye he had a good record but he was also a few years older than Stokes. If any comparison should be made it's got be closer to Skippy. He played at motherwell, a less than average SPL team at the time and came here and scored 30+ in his first season at teh age of 23. Stokes is a year younger, got about the same experience as Skippy and we're signing him on the back of a good season scoring 24 goals in the SPL.
    All this "is this the direction we're going in now", wel aye so deal with it. It has been in this direction since WGS took over and won't be changing any time soon as the SPL is skint.
    Stokes might not be a world beater, but neither are we anymore. It's a hard one to swallow but we can get there again and Stokes is a player who could prove more than his worth or he could be average at best the rest of his career, no one knows.
    At this moment in time we are top of the SPL with 3 clean sheets and 6 goals in 3 games. Seems pretty promising. And if Stokes can help us maintain that decent form and chip in with 20-25+ goals then there is no real argument here. He can score. Imo I think we need a target man. Sammy is 6'2 but 5'4 in the air, not seen much of Murphy but he looks like he could play that role, but we need a big striker to win the knock downs and hold up play in the tougher games.

18. socbhoy

stokes is worth a shot for the money we are paying he has proven that he can score goals in both his stints in the spl with falkirk and hibs so i think it could be a good signing for us. he will certainly be a better signing than fortune was but that wont be hard. if you look at the chances we have created in our three spl matches so far i think stokes would have scored a barrel load.

19. pelethebhoy

Lol. You noticed that as well!

20. kennydal

Thread open in Celtic Chat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.