1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Keane NO!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Magic_7, May 17, 2010.

Discuss Keane NO!!!!!! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    ha nae worries,wasnt offended i new wit ye meant

2. Scarecrow

sell on value isn't important, we need experience and quality not more potential players mate.

3. gunt

No Keane is a better player but not by miles any more. Keane is nothing like the player he was in his early to mid 20s, not a patch. He is far less mobile. My point is even if we had a 10 or 12 million to spend it would be criminal to blow most of it on one player. We need to spread the first 12-15 million of any budget (if it is that big) across about 5 players because we desperately need a major overhaul. Buying Keane for the money people are quoting just does not fit into any scenario I can see short of Desmond going doolaly and chucking 30 million into the side. Skippy is a realistic player for us. Keane is not.

4. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The man scores goals. He was here for less than 4 months and became our top scorer (I know that's as much to do with our other players being * a lot of the time but still...)
    If take away all his goals, and we would have dropped a total of 13 points and gone out of the Scottish cup a round before we did.
    We need to keep him if we possibly can.

5. Blackpool-tim

I could not agree more with this . well said :50:

6. Pauli_Andy

We need an out and out goalscorer, that much is true and I think if we could get Keane for 4-5 million (which is probably about what he's worth IMO) then that would be great. £6-7 mil is over inflated though and Spurs will only ask that much as they know someone like Birmingham City will be willing to spend it.

7. gunt

People are missing the point. If we pay the sort of fee and wages he commands then he will be our only signing. Someone (think it was Alsy) said they would rather blow it all on one great player. Problem is that will mean next seasons team will be identical to that of the run in months this season (probably minus the other loans). OK we won but it looked precarious a lot of the time and I am not convinced we would win the league. We need a handful of new first 11 players of a decent standard and that alone will cost 15-20 million. So I do not think Robbie will be hear and I would be surprised if we do not get shot of at least one of Artur and Aidan to help fund things.

8. gunt

If Robbies fee drops down to a more realistic figure like say 4.5 million then that would be worth considering. He will bee to get his crazy wage rate halved too though and I cant see that.

9. ScottishGhirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    McDonald Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Fansfc.com

Thats some * price there quoting! EPL spending is OTT

10. DOC

no way 15 mil, just paper talk atm, have to wait until manager comes in which gives other teams a head start though, i would say a few epl teams will look at him but

11. mairilouise

15 million, what a joke! Even if we had money, I wouldnt want to pay anymore than 5 million for him and thats tops! He's 29 and his best days are behind him imo, he's not as quick as he used to be!

12. Markybhoy

Robbie Keane's best days might be behind him but he is still 2 or 3 classes above any outfield player we have.

13. mairilouise

And? I can still think of better ways to spend that sort of money!

14. Markybhoy

And nothing.

It's just the way you talk about Robbie Keane it makes it sound like you think he's a player who's nearly finished. I'm simply saying that he's well ahead of any outfield player we have.

15. Pauli_Andy

I don't think many people would argue with you there, but just because he's better than our current players doesn't mean we should spend daft amounts of money on him. Like I say, I'd pay around £5 million for him. Anything more than that and we're paying over the odds. He's not the only decent player out there and we shouldn't be suckered into spending more on someone of his ability than we need to. It's all about finding value. If someone does pay £15 million for him, then the world has gone mad.

16. mairilouise

Lol the way i talk about Robbie Keane, you been keeping a log on it or something?? All i said was 15 million is a joke, he is almost 30 ffs!

17. mairilouise

Couldn't agree more! Think even for 5 million we could do better, someone a good bit younger for a start and also with a sell on value!

18. Markybhoy

Yes I log all your posts so think on :37: :icon_mrgreen:

I would definitely agree with you about the £15million tag though. Any team that paid that would be off their head.

19. Markybhoy

Absolutely. The £15million tag is more than likely just a number plucked out of the air by a newspaper though. I really don't see any club paying £15million for Robbie Keane so I wouldn't pay much attention to it tbh.

20. gunt

problem is I think he looks so much less mobile that I think he could be a shadow of what he was 3 or 4 years ago in 2 years time. Then he may not even shine at SPL level. I do not know his injury history but he looks much slower and more fragile these days. That adds up to a problem because his price is insane and has not dropped in line with his decline and age. I think he has got himself a Bobo/Thommo situation where he cost a fee and has been given wage by Spurs that noone thinks he is worth any more. Spurs and Keane will need to accept that or it will be a situation where a player just rots because of the money.