1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic to stage Scotland opener

Discussion in 'World Football' started by regicfc, Jun 5, 2006.

Discuss Celtic to stage Scotland opener in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. regicfc

Scotland's Euro 2008 qualifying bid will kick off against the Faroe Islands at Celtic Park.
    Hampden Park is unavailable on 2 September because the national stadium is hosting a Robbie Williams concert.

A number of clubs made bids to host the game but Celtic Park was the top choice of the Scottish Football Association.

Chief executive David Taylor said: "We want to make a positive start, and with Hampden not being available then Celtic Park will provide a magnificent venue."

Aberdeen were one of the teams to miss out but Taylor wants to reward them by taking an international match to Pittodrie soon.

"I would like to publicly acknowledge the strong bid from Aberdeen FC to stage the match at Pittodrie, but we anticipate the crowd for the opening match of the Euro 2008 campaign will require a larger stadium," added Taylor.

"However, there is great support for the national team in the north east of Scotland, and I would very much hope we will take Scotland's next home friendly match to Aberdeen."

Scotland have been drawn in a very difficult qualifying group, which also includes France, Italy, Ukraine and Lithuania.

2. mafyoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Donati song
    obviously celtic park is thought of as the best stadium in scotland! hehe

3. Eamonnhenrik

it obviously is lol its bigger and better than hampden+its the home of the greatest team on earth

4. jonny_cfc_n01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka and King Arthur
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldiers song
    hamphens a * hole anyway

5. Kerr_OConnor

Fav Celtic Player:
    was petrov but now McManus
    the parkhead pitch is a lot better so id imagine that scotland can get down a play some decent football on the neat surface. Anyone else think that the surface at hampden is *?

6. Murphy7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley + You'll Never Walk Alone
    It is poor as they play practically every sport, including concerts on the pitch.

7. KevF2416

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Hartson, Alan Thompson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why the * didn't the SFA throw Robbie Williams oot in his *?

8. Rav3n

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don't have one
    To be honest from personal expierence i'd say Ibrox is better than CP in terms of facilities and just general looks. Always has been hence why it's always has a higher rating. But i can see why CP has been chosen as it's a nice stadium nontheless and has a higher capacity than Ibrox.

As we know the Tulloch stadium is better than all yer pish :56:

9. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

talked with some scotsmen about the choice. they were very pleased. they told me there has always been a better atmosphere at paradise than at ibrox. plus a higher capacity.

why not giving a friendly to inverness or aberdeen?

10. Jungle Bhoy

Because Glasgow is the home of Scottish Football?

11. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Thats true, but would be cool to see a friendly in the north, especially because i think there are even bigger patriots there and less unionists. could be wrong too