1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Brigade Vs Police/Stewards

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Colin Healy CSC, Mar 27, 2010.

Discuss Green Brigade Vs Police/Stewards in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanniGhirl

I know plenty Celtic fans who do not like the rebel songs, they don't find them offensive they simply don't like them because they personally have no connection to Ireland, the simple fact is that these songs divide our own support which is the only reason I don't think they should be sung at the games.

Personally I love the rebel songs but I understand that many of our supporters are put off by them, especially when songs about the IRA are changed to include reference to the Provisionals so at a time when we need to be united these songs aren't doing it.

2. Wicklowbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    theres many songs you can sing at celtic park about ireland and their history that wouldnt be as sensitive but some people think who ever shouts ira is somehow a legend.And i notice that and iv only been to a few games.rather here a folk song or a ballad !thats just my opinion do.:)

3. Markybhoy

Pretty much in agreement with you here mate. :50:

4. Ibárruri

What are people's definitions of the difference between "rebel songs" and "irish folk songs"? There's a whole host sung to varying degrees at Celtic Park, which songs do the people who're against the singing of these songs think are acceptable and unacceptable?

Just curious.

5. Frank_the_bhoy

Great post mate.

P.C brigade out in force these days

6. samson81

Fav Celtic Player:
    It certainly isn't Loovens
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over

I dont agree with you. Not all Celtic fans are Catholic. We are a club for all. The singing of rebel songs shouldn't hava a place at Parkhead anymore. The more you sing, the more trouble we get in, and the more trouble we get in, the More like Rangers we become.

If anybody has noticed when the stewards turn up, its usually after celtic Symphony has been sung, straight after the OOh ahh up the ra bit....it has nothing to do with the club......I have heard folk sing ooh aah Samaras, and no steward has given them hassle.

If you dont sing it.....they cant do anything

7. emmetf

* do rebel songs have to do with being catholic?

8. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    That was my thoughts exactly after reading that comment.

9. irishbhoyabroad

Just a note. Rebel songs are not religious based, rather nationalist. Do not confuse the two mate :50:

10. glasgowceltic

Who gives a * if we give the club a bad name, what do they do for us apart from take £* away from us a t the start of the season and then allow stewards to treat the fans who are trying to back the team like criminals, i say * the PLC, club whoever.

Treat us like customers and we will act like customers

11. Frank_the_bhoy

Some of our fans want to sing rebels.

LEAVE THEM ALONE AND GO BACK TO YOUR PRAWN SANDWITCH INSTEAD OF MOANING ABOUT IT.

12. emmetf

theyre called "sammiches" now, because people with lisps cant say them properly :40:

13. DanniGhirl

And some dont, so can you not see they are causing division amongst our own support?

Many Celtic fans have no connection to Ireland at all and can feel intimidated when such songs are sung, why should they be put off following our club that is meant to be open to all just because they have no interest in Ireland and only want to support the football team.

It's not just the club that don't want these songs to be sung at the games, it's plenty of fans too, that doesn't make them any less of a fan than those who do want to sing the rebels.

14. WeeBhoy7

right well personally i am 15 and go to home and away games in the league and europe. i enjoy singing rebel songs but be carefull when to as my dad disagrees with them, i get the meaning of a few but am not 100% of the truth about how the brittish came to ireland ect. my dad says somethin like the irish wanted help from the brittish and turned then against them (i travel to every game with him, and hes as big a fan as anyone, he knows all the words to every rebel song and says he sung them when he was younger but is now wiser) but what accualy happened honoustly?
    thanks hailhail.

15. samson81

Fav Celtic Player:
    It certainly isn't Loovens
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over

Exactly. Why would I want to sing songs that contain the lyrics 'north men, south men commrades all. Soon there will be no Protestants at all' I'm not catholic, I dont agree with some fo the songs sang at Celtic Park, I dont think that they have a place inside the ground. Doesnt mean that i'm part of the Prawn Sandwich brigade as someone has pointed out earlier in the thread,

I go to support Celtic. Sing songs about Celtic. Cheer when Celtic score a goal. Cheer Celtic on the Park, Cheer Celtic off the park. Cheer when we do the Huddle.

Most of the songs that are sang that get the attention of stewards, dont really have much to do with Celtic.

Roll of Honour - Not a Celtic Player Mentioned
    Boys of the Old Brigade - Not a Celtic Player mentioned
    Go On home British Soldiers - Nothing at all to dowith Football
    Aiden McAnespie - Don't recall him ever pulling on the hoops.

I would rather more Traditional songs were sang. About the team, about the players. You might get more bums on seats, might even get a better atmosphere, because The Celtic Song generates more passion, and gets fans more up for it than any of the above songs.

Its just my opinion and view, which is what the forum is for, so this member of the 'Prawn Sandwich' brigade will no doubt be subject to abuse in the next few posts, because its my view, not the majoritys view

16. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    Go on you tube and try and find documentaries

17. WeeBhoy7

i must admit mate, i sing rebel songs (already sayd not to sure there true meaning) but i completely agree with you.

18. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    What does YNWA have to do with football?
    What does fields of athenrye have to do with football?

19. WeeBhoy7

anyone any links to what could help :50:

20. WeeBhoy7

fields of athenry is to do with the famine which links to brother walfrid founding celtic :shamrock:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.