1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of Leadership

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by baileybhoy, Mar 25, 2010.

Discuss Lack of Leadership in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. baileybhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    I Just can't get enough
    After tonight and the games since the new year, it is apparent that there is little or no leadership either in the dressing room or on the park. Guys like Robson, Caldwell and McManus have been taken away and replaced with guys who, although they may be better technically, do not have the ability to motivate or lead this team.

The worst thing about tonight is none of them looked like they gave two * :47: get the money-grabbing journeymen to *, we need players who want to be at celtic to win trophies with 100% heart and commitment. Im not talking about getting people who are celtic fans, just players with a bit of character about them to replace what has been missing.

The problem is exasperated by the fact that mowbray and his team clearly cannot motivate this group of players in the dressing room, and it is for this main reason I know he cannot be a successful celtic manager.

So after the old firm and tonight, it is glaringly obvious that this team requires players who will say 'we are not getting beat here because im not going to allow it', guys with a bit of passion. fair enough play the celtic way with good football, but first and foremost the desire has to be there.

2. SamMcAuley

good post, totally agree

3. combene

nobody on that field knows what it's like to take a game by the scruff of the neck and say i'm winnin this * game and that's all there is to it. not one person, includin the gaffer.

4. Soprano

It is worrying... I can't ever remember a Celtic team without a leader. In fact thinking back to most squads we have had leaderS!

5. Connolly08

I agree, See all these foreign numpties who are only here for the money get them to * ! I wana see a celtic team fight for every ball ! Fight for the right to wear the shirt ! Fight for the win !

6. bhoy1der

There was one guy at the game that would have made a differeence if he was still a player.Although he is a * commentator and a bit of a * I would love to have a player like Craig Burley in the middle of the pitch.

7. Brendan Hughes

Been that way since Hartley was released and Robson sold

8. larsson97_04

Fav Celtic Player:
    Maloney, JVOH
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    cracking post best i read tonight

9. frazzer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Keano
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Good thread man !

There is no leader on the park, ok McManus might not of been the best player but he was a decent captain and the team at least had fight under him until the tail end of last season. Brown is never a captain in a million years but who else would u give it to. The new manager who ever he might be and before u say i am hoping we have one come me waking up tomorrow or at least in search for one. He needs to sign a player similar to Lennon, someone to rally the bhoys when thinks go bad because it was a guttless preformance tonight against St Mirren.

10. BestyBhoy

Here Here!:shamrock:

11. emmetf

ive said it before, irish and scottish players should be priority...

12. obonfanti1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Henrik Larsson is the King of Kings
    :rolleyes: so much for judging a player on "neither his creed or nationality"

i will ask though why were our two most experienced (thus suitable captain material) players Boruc and Hinkel on the bench for the last couple games? i cant help but feel something isnt quite right with that :97:

13. combene

UEFA cup final 2003?

14. baileybhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    I Just can't get enough
    players nationality shouldn't matter, its their fire in their bellies and desire to win that im on about. you get guys like stan petrov or chris sutton who arent scottish or irish yet their commitment to the celtic cause, motivation and determination were second to none.
    Equally, there are scottish and irish players out there who do not have what it takes to be a leader at our club, we should not just sign players from scotland and ireland just for the sake of it.
    Moments like martin o'neills video after juve away (someone posted it earlier), suttons comments after dunfermline lay down to the huns and lenny punting the ball off the spot when man utd got that penalty (stupid i know but still) all point to the passion and desire guys like these had for the club and for success, I dont see any of that now and cant see it returning under present circumstances.

15. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    By my count we have had at least 7 different captains this season. 7 !!!! Epitomized by that moment after Brown was shown the red card at Ipox when he handed the armband to Keane. Keane held it for a couple of seconds, looking around to see if there were any takers. You could almost see him thinking 'I've been here a month. Surely someone has more seniority'.

I reckon we could do a * of a lot worse than have Lennon stand in the middle of the pitch, and not even kick a ball or put a foot in, just give directions and motivate the 10 around him. :56:

16. Celtic_1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Anthony Stokes
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic overall
    lacked leadership all year...captaincy was bein passed about lik a parcel..but sure even the manager has no leadership in him even tho he was captain as a player..O'Dea is a willin battler..but is he worthy of captaincy..McManus wasnt the greatest player..but was a worthy captain..Lennon should be brought in as temp manager til end of season..he can motivate and he'll instill the right qualities in the squad..I was a fan of GS until his last season when i felt he hadda go..and go he did..at the correct time, but u must understand why GS brought in the likes of Skippy, Hartley, Robson, Pressley, Miller - all proven SPL player..but possessed the qualities GS wanted in his celtic team..but also qualities necessary for the SPL..and why he made Lennon captain, and why he made McManus captain and why he brought Lennon back in as coach before 2 crucial old firm games. MOWBRAY OUT NOW!

17. Quigley 13

Go back to the MON years, we near enough fielded a full team of leaders. McNamara, Mjallby, Lennon, Lambert, Sutton, Hartson, Larsson, Thompson, Petrov.

Not one of our current mob come anywhere close to those 9.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010
  18. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Agreed.

Winning mentality is often more important that technical ability

Strachan brought in several players because of their influence more so than what they could do on a football field. Robson, Hartley & Pressley all had winning mentalities and its not a fluke that we completed the 3IAR because we went with players (e.g. Hartley & Robson) that had this trait.

People questioned these signings at the time, the answer should be very obvious now if it wasnt after the 3IAR.

There are no real leaders in the celtic team, caddis and keane are the closest, one cant hold down a place and the other is a loan signing.

Mowbrays failure to address this issue has been disastrous

19. k3vbain

someone like zander diamond would do

20. MarcoVanBeasten

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bertie Auld
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I agree wholeheartedly with the original post.

As for potential leaders? From what I've seen of Jos Hooiveld's short time on the pitch for us, his interviews and footage of him playing for past clubs, I'd say he has everything in his locker to be a successful captain for us.