1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would replace him .Threads Merged.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by scottythetim, Mar 22, 2010.

Discuss Who would replace him .Threads Merged. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    I'm really struggling to think of managers who would be interested. Especially at this stage of the season where most managers are still in a job. I think it won't be till the summer before we see any movement.. If he leaves of course.

2. kennydal

All the good managers are tied up and say Celtic went for someone unemployed ,i would ask why he is unemployed ,is he not good enough for any team apart from Celtic.

3. albashamrock

Then our best option maybe someone leaving a national team after the World Cup?

4. kennydal

Managers are on contracts like everyone else but if Celtic know who's contract is due to finish and he has a solid background etc why not make a move ,Celtic have got no option if Mowbray goes to get this right ,there is a lot of money at stake here regarding season books renewal ,trying to entice players in and so on ,this is probaly a defining moment in Celtic's history ,its got to be the correct man .

5. jiko

In Mark Hughes's case he was always going to be unemployed at some point in the season , just as Mancini will be..

I don't think there's many negatives around appointing Mark Hughes..
    The thing I liked from his time at Blackburn was that opposition managers would often spend their after match interviews complaining about how his team had roughed them up and it wasn't fair.. I like his no nonsense approach combined with a bit of flair and he's got a decent record in the transfer market when on a lower budget at Ewood Park - Bentley , Samba , Roque Cruz , Warnock..

6. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Some people saying that the annoucement is that he's STAYING :47::97: Surely not?!?!

Expect protests on Saturday if so.

7. albashamrock

What time is this announcement?

8. bebackman

Fav Celtic Player:
    broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    hughes or maclaren one of they two will do

9. kennydal

Its only a rumour that there will be one.

10. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    :56: Not a chance.

McClaren is 3 points clear at the top of the Eredivisie, why would he want to come here? Hughes won't come either.

Just stick with some internal within the club and look at new managers in the summer.

11. bebackman

Fav Celtic Player:
    broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    there 4 points clear but to get us out this mess that is the type of manager we need

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Steve McLaren is not the answer to our problems, he is another football coach with idealisms. We need a foolhardy no nonsense type that has presence about him. Someone that grits his teeth when the chips are down rather than sit on the bench with his head in his hands.

13. Sparkybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: Henrik. Current: Izaguirre
    Agree with that.

This is all on the assumption that Mogga will go. But if he does, realistically, what is the chances of a good manager with a proven track record at the top level wanting to come here? Slim to none. We saw it in the summer when we couldn't attract Owen Coyle who at that stage hadn't even managed in the premiership. And we're in alot worse position now than we are then.

I know it's depressing reading, but we need to face up to it. We don't hold the appeal we did. Playing in the SPL is crippling us and it's only going to get worse. I would cheerfully go into the English Conference and go through the 5 years of climbing up the leagues. Can anyone answer me why this has never been suggested?

Anyway, i'm going off the point, but the main point i'm making is the only chance of us getting a good manager is taking a punt on someone who has yet to prove himself at top level. Whether it's Lenny, an English championship manager, an SPL manager, i don't know. It's a gamble but what else can we do. Someone as low down as Mick McCarthy i have no doubt would rather be at Wolves than us, never mind all these proven, top class managers that people are suggesting. It's depressing but it's true.

14. ScottishGhirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    McDonald Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Next Permanent Celtic Manager

• Paul Lambert 3/1
    • Mark Hughes 4/1
    • Neil Lennon 13/2
    • Willie McStay 13/2
    • Roy Keane 8/1
    • Alan Curbishley 10/1
    • John Collins 12/1
    • Henrik Larsson 14/1
    • John Hughes 14/1
    • Mick McCarthy 20/1
    • Gordon Strachan 25/1
    • Steve Coppell 28/1
    • David Moyes 28/1
    • David O’Leary 33/1

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010
  15. maldoon2007

I have said time and time again that David O'Leary would do a cracking job with us.

He is unemployed at the mo (his own choice), so no compensation would need to be paid out, and he has a proven track record in EPL.Was an amazing manager with leeds, taking good youngsters through the ranks as well. Woodgate, Bowyer, Batty, Smith, Kewell.

David O'Leary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He couldn't do worse than TM and has CL experience as well

16. smiddybar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    It's a gamble but what else can we do. Someone as low down as Mick McCarthy i have no doubt would rather be at Wolves than us, never mind all these proven, top class managers that people are suggesting. It's depressing but it's true.[/QUOTE]

As you say depressing but true, which is why we will have to go for an option like Willie McStay / Neil Lennon which has to be better than the three that are in place at the moment.

17. ScottishGhirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    McDonald Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I dont get how Lambert is favourite at 3/1 if he has already ruled himself out.

18. BestyBhoy

I want billic i said i wanted him before we got mowbray.

I can see it now,Celtic 3-0 Rangers billic at the touch line in his casual clothes with a * hanging out his mouth.

19. kennydal

Would he though if Celtic came knocking ,i really hope they dont btw.

20. scottythetim

still just speculation on ssn, waiting to see what comes of meeting at lennoxtown, its a frustrating wait