1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Darren O'Dea

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by emmetf, Mar 2, 2010.

Discuss Darren O'Dea in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. emmetf

ive been on here backin the young man as most of you dont rate him at all as a defender, and theres not much you can argue against that he really stepped up to the plate on sunday, even though it was a loss, he played composed, strong, and overall i was impressed

although, it is easily said that he wont be able to keep the type of form we saw on sunday for very long, so bring the poll

If odea was able to maintain his current form, would you say he has a place at celtic, at the very least a sub?

2. danielcoolj

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields of athenry
    is his current form based on this one game?

3. doctor venglos

I like Darren and I thought he played very well yesterday.
    And he is a Celtic man and we need those type in the team
    with all the Continental players we have in the side.

4. jiko

I mentioned in another thread that the one thing he did that * me off was conceding a corner in the first minute of the 2nd half when he was standing on the byeline as the ball came over his head , which was going for a goalkick but he put his head to it and made sure it went behind , then said something to Boruc (Whom I think told him to leave it) that suggested he wasn't taking any chances , but that kind of defending is a serious gripe of mine because he showed lack of awareness of what was around him and when we concede corners we often invite a sustained period of pressure and thats what happened for a good minute or two.. Thankfully nothing came of it and I thought he played really well..

5. combene

he was fine on sunday but doesn't overcome his usual form which is pish

6. kennydal

No ,one game doesnt change my mind about him ,and 3 managers cant be wrong about him either.

7. jamesfr

You just can't trust him,that's not what you want in a defender.

8. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I think he can do a job for us

9. kennydal

True ,the ballboys are recruiting just now.:56:

10. kevgal1888

The Falkirk game a few weeks ago summed it up for me!simply not good enough.

11. greg2467

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Time: Lubo Present: Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Willy Maley
    he is a very good back-up player to have as he's quite versatile as well. I dont think that he's good enough to be a first choice CB....

12. obonfanti1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Henrik Larsson is the King of Kings
    i've been a big critic of O'Dea but to be fair he was excellent on Sunday, that challenge on Boyd was sensational! and he cant be that bad if he played well in the San Siro, theres definately talent there but he needs to get back to that kind of form because at the moment Thomson and Rogne look pretty good

p.s anyone know how long Rogne is out for?

13. _Jamie88_

i started a thread about darren o'dea last week saying he should be in the team yet nearly all responses where he should get sold not celtic class but after 1 game the majority is saying keep him. typical celtic fans wait until he has another bad game the cry will be get him sold. annoys me how quickly so called fans change their minds.

14. TimMalloyBhoy

I completely disagree. I think if we did the 'no nonsense' defending more we would concede a lot less goals. Our defenders don't have the talent to play neat little balls forward to midfielders.

15. bigsteve1967

If he maintains the form he showed on Sunday then yes for certain. I've been a big critic of him but i ate humble pie on Sunday. If he plays like that each time then he should be an automatic start.

16. BigWilly.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Mcgrain, Boruc, Jinky, Lubo, Di Canio, Ki, Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Bhoys of the Old Brigade
    I know he has the talent to carry this form but he need to show that if he wants to keep a place on the team

17. albashamrock

He was lacking match fitness when he came back. It is similar when WGS finally gave Balde a game and he made a mistake as he hadn't played in the first team for a while. Some players are just not managers favourites. Everyone is willing to give Josh Thompson a chance as we can see his potential but he too has made mistakes such as getting caught out of position early in the game at Ibrox. When everyone is fit, I can't see him starting most games as I think Jos will be first choice.

18. Snedden7

Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone,The Celtic Song , Celtic Your Favourites In Green,Let The People Sing
    i like o'dea always have. got faith in him. back four for me would have to be

RB
    Hinkel
    RCB
    Hooiveld Or Loovens
    LCB
    O'Dea
    LB
    Wilson Or Braafheid

19. jiko

But it wasn't "No nonsense" defending which is my gripe.. Here's a clip of it.. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b688r7Fm2jk[/youtube] I think that is shocking and totally uneccessary when you consider any ball into our box , especially corners is major panic time.. We shouldn't need to concede goals to have an inquest , and things like this really ought to be debated by the manager and players so they get it right the next time...

I've also gotten used to seeing defensive errors where our players just hoof the ball out the park in whatever direction they are facing as soon as they are under any kind of pressure anywhere near our 18 yard box and it's actually "nonsense" defending because we create the danger that wasn't even there in the first place..

I can't remember seeing our defenders turn with the ball when facing our own goal , to play it upfield very often , it's usually a punt out sideways , but Im already seeing in Josh Thompson that he likes to turn and take the ball out of our box , which is good to see (and not just because the alternative is his sliced clearance).. I think we'll also get more of that assured defending from Rogne and I believe that type of composure from the huns through Cuellar when he was there , and now Boughera is partly what has made them a good defensive unit , because they have often been last man defenders and don't panic , and will either clear their lines or take the ball out of defense , and the fact we never even pressured them enough into conceding 1 corner at the weekend backs this up I reckon..

20. emmetf

Aye I think this is the answer,

the more time he gets to play, the better he'll get I think, maybe a spell on the reserves?