1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Many Foreigners

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by scottbrown8, Feb 1, 2010.

Discuss Too Many Foreigners in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scottbrown8

After January our team could line up like
    Boruc
    Hinkel Ramis Hooiveld Braafheid
    Mcgeady N'guemo KI Maloney
    Fortune Rasmussen

That leaves us with only one scottish player in the team. Besides mcgeady and boruc and hinkel, everyone else has not spent a season in scotland yet, does everyone think this may loose us the league this season as we have spent the 1st half trying to gel a team together then completely revamping the squad, so will have to gel them players together, also most of them having to deal with a new style of football in scotland and having to get used too living in scotland.

2. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    i'd rather that than have

mark brown

caddis considine webster naysmith

maloney brown kerr mulgrew

l. miller crawford

thats 11 scots but if we had those players we'd struggle for 3rd.

"Its not creed nor nationality that counts but the man himself" - Jock Stein

3. scottbrown8

I wasnt saying its a bad thing in the long run just for now i think this season with almost the whole team coming from different backgrounds and different styles of football that it will take them time to gel and get used too each other and by the time this happens it may be too late this season.

4. D. Dziekanowski

Not too fussed where our players come from if they can perform ata decent standard.

Besides, we have had a fair few scots playing for us in the first half of this season and can't think of one of them who i'd be giving pass marks too.

5. gerry_bhoy

Why are you not counting McGeady as Scottish?

And as you said Boruc and Hinkel know the league and language by now.

N'geumo is adapting well, and Fortune has British football experience.

Ki, was the one that I thought would struggle to adapt, but so far so good.

6. greg2467

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Time: Lubo Present: Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Willy Maley
    I dont care where they come from as long as they deliver for the club!

7. gerry_bhoy

I think many are missing the point the OP is trying to make here...

Rather than from a patriot stand-point, he is concerned that too much of our first team will be finding their feet in a new league all at once.

However, on top of the players I've mention I would also say that having a bit of size to you certainly helps when easing yourself into to Scottish football so I would think that Rasmussen and Hoovield wouldn't find the transition too shocking.

Also given their nationalities, they are likely to have a good grasp of the English language, especially Rasmussen.

Ki's size has helped him also.

The players that struggle initially seem to be those coming from Latin leagues due to the difference in pace.

I think our new additions will find their feet fairly quickly.

8. Viper_MMA

I think British based players is a good thing (even if they are foreign)

like takign a Scandinavian guy who has been in England for a few years is no bad thing!

i do think that most successful teams have a backbone through the middle of their sides, like a British/Irish backbone for us!

I would have likes to have seen Celtic sign St Ledger, Short or long term captian material if he hit the ground running!

Im not a big fan of teams full of foreigners

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Lack of Scottish players isn't a huge issue to be honest. McGeady is still Scottish and he's in the starting 11 most weeks.

10. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

if we have scottish players that are more than capable of the task at hand, then by all means, im happy fielding them, and supporting / watching them, but we just dont have any decent scottish players at all right now. Maybe some youngsters can break through in a few years time.

11. Capriano

Im concerned that there may be 2 many forgeiners, we should have a backbone of scottish celtic fans. My concern is they dont know celtics tradition and need to win every single game we play. Only time will tell :)

12. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    IN general I am concerned by the lack of Scots. Saying that I think McGeady, Maloney and Scott Brown are first picks and guys like Caddis and Wilson(?) on the fringes, so thing's aren't THAT bad.

However I don't want to see a day without any Scots in the squad. I actually believe Scott Brown will replace N'Guemo in the team long-term, with the centre-mid being Brown/Ki.

13. mcneill67

im sure peter grant wont be too slow in tellin them.:shamrock:

14. NeilLennon

Of course there are exceptions, but the concern with average foreigners - which let's face it is all we're in the market for these days - is will they bust a gut for the club when the chips are down?

They're getting their wages, the club is just another club for them, do they know what it means to play for Celtic?

I'll always judge a player on their merits but i'd be lying if i said i was concerned by Celtic becoming a team of largely foreign players :rolleyes:

15. mcneill67

16. format

Anyone else think it's hilarious that we're having this discussion on a Celtic forum?

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :50::56: