1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Slane , pre contract ,

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by holy pope, Jan 22, 2010.

Discuss Paul Slane , pre contract , in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Celtic are set to snap up Motherwell’s hot prospect Paul Slane, STV Sport can reveal. The 18-year old is out of contract at the end of this season and has had talks with Celtic over a move to Parkhead.
    Tony Mowbray has been busy trying to reshape his squad during the transfer window and Slane would be seen as a player for the future, rather than an addition to the first team. However, the youngster is highly rated and impressed when he burst on to the scene at Motherwell before injury curtailed his progress.
    Motherwell interim manager Craig Brown has not been able to call upon Slane’s services since taking over at the club. The veteran boss had no knowledge of Celtic’s interest when rumours of a bid surfaced earlier this month but confirmed on Friday that talks had taken place.
    “I believe a deal is almost done,” Brown said.
    “We’ve not seen much of the boy play because he’s been injured and then ill recently. But we offered him a fresh deal at Motherwell which he has turned down.”
    Slane first caught the eye when then Motherwell manager Jim Gannon gave him first team games in the Europa League qualifying games last summer. The winger came on as a substitute in the first leg against Llanelli and impressed enough to start in the second leg, when Motherwell won 3-0.
    The hot prospect then netted his first senior goal against Albanians Flumartari in the next round with a well placed shot from outside the box. Since then, the player has only made two brief substitute appearances as injury and illness have restricted his playing time.
    The player will be the latest to go through the revolving door at Celtic Park in a busy month for Tony Mowbray. Gary Caldwell, Chris Killen, Barry Robson and Willo Flood have all left the club to move to England. Jos Hooiveld and Thomas Rogne have arrived to shore up the defence and Morten “Duncan” Rasmussen is expected to be confirmed as the club’s new centre-forward early next week.
    :50:

2. Sebelon

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    great

3. ChristianH

Fav Celtic Player:
    Everyone who's wearing the Celtic shirt
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    A good prospect for nothing.

Fine deal for me.

4. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    a good wee player this bhoy,good.

5. brightoncsc

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    field of Athenry
    celtic fan exciting prospect good business

6. sdickson

well tm said 3 more signings,that leaves 1 more any idea who it will be:50:

7. The Celtbot

Waiting for the typical...

:31: we need players for the first team!!!!!!!

8. Brendan Hughes

Fair enough, never seen him play right enough but if hes good and free then no bad, time to get another couple in just now right enough !

9. Karma

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    He won't be free. We will have to pay compensation for him because of his age. But I doubt it will be much.

10. hairytoes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ceasar, Maestro, Lubo, Henrik, Naka, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He's a good wee player, I like the boy Forbes too - good goal scoring CM'er.

A lot of good Scottish boys coming through at Motherwell, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen & even Rangers.

Celtic are suposed to have the best youth setup, but will any of them ever actually see the 1st team - guys like Caddis are wanting away & we'll never know if they would've been any good.

11. gerry_bhoy

I heard about this a while ago, apparently hes been delaying signing a new deal with them since last summer.

I hope they still give him some playing time before then.

12. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeh I agree celtic are supposed to have one of the best youth setups but we don't give the youth players a chance to show if they are good enough.

13. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

having the best youth setup doesnt automatically mean that we have the best youth players..

if this lad is such a hot prospect, then i hope he gets game time and doesnt rot away in the stands. would like these young boys to get put out on loan to get some game time, because i dont think their going to get it for a while in our current team. average age of the 1st team must be around 24/25, so thats still quite a young team

14. gerry_bhoy

With the depth we have on the wing at the moment and added to the Jamie Forrest being a big talent coming though, I can't really see the lad breaking into the first team.

Stevie Frail is an admirer of him and was probably his signing. Just hope the lad gets a chance and doesnt just kick about for 3 years before fading into obscurity. We need to get away from signing all the best prospects in Scottish football for the sake of it, when realistically they can't cut it yet.

Would really hope we'd see sense and send him on loan.

15. Doc07

not 4 me dont think we should b lookn at players who cant improve first team

16. brightoncsc

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    field of Athenry
    sorrry disagree you can never invest too much in the future only needs one or two to come good the more we have the more chances of that:50:

17. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Agree with that also theres a chance the youth player could be good enough for the first team if given the chance.

18. GM_CFC

If Misun is fit I can easily see him getting a game, particularly is Fox goes. Likewise, if we dont get another CB in an have a few injuries Thomson and Rogne could end up playing together.

McGinn, Ki and Crosas will be regulars in the team I reckon, and if Skippy goes I we might end up playing McGowan on occasions depending on how Rassmussen does if he comes.

All in all thats 7 players 22 or under that I woudn't really have a problem playing, with all of them (except Crosas) coming through the youth system or being bought as "projects".

I fail to see why people complain about buying young players and think if we can get Slane in for a resonable amount of cash we should go for it.

19. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    he'll be getting signed by chris mccart n co to work with not mowbry and that so doesent really count as a mogga signing,he wont feature for about 2years except freindlys

20. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    We have been after him since Chris Mc Cart came here to take over after Tommy , cracking player and hopefully he can push on and be around the first team ,