1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

last season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by WeeBhoy7, Dec 3, 2009.

Discuss last season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. WeeBhoy7

i heard someone mention this last night and was just wondering what use thought ...
    personally i am unsure on the issue and doubt it but anyway ...

the point was...
    did celtic blow the league last year to keep the huns in the game?
    -afterall after all their financial trouble, who could they have turned to?
    -why did we not spent in january when we had the chance to bury them and be on top for years?
    -why did strachan walk?
    -were they not rumoured to be going into administration if they didn't win the league?
    -did the 2 clubs not used to come together in some sorts in the old days?

whats your thoughts? :rolleyes:

2. D. Dziekanowski

3. DanniGhirl

load of rubbish - Celtic losing the league had a huge financial impact on us, no way would we have done it deliberately - that would be cheating and match fixing, honestly I don't know why people start these ridiculous rumours and why some people fall for them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

4. WeeBhoy7

5. DanniGhirl

I didn't say you did, that's why I said "some people"

6. Capriano

Not a chance mate, just conspiracy theorists at it again, theres no way players and managers would put there careers and reputations at stake just so there hated rivals would stay afloat, No way!

7. Capriano

I know the board would not risk it because if the fans ever found out, it would cause the biggest backlash/boycott ever seen in world football and the fine we would get would be astronomical, it would generally put celtic fc out the game, all to save rangers!

8. WeeBhoy7

sorry danni :)

9. Airdrie Onion

Wondering about my hole getting mustarded
    Here you go. Register yourself for these places.

Here

And here

Then here

Good luck.

10. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    But how would that compare to the financial impact of our biggest rivals going under?

11. DanniGhirl

Do you believe this story?

How would rangers going bust have a severe financial impact on us - the loss of 2 full houses a season, nothing compared to not being in the CL.

12. Comatose

Think about it. How do you persuade an entire Celtic team to throw games, so that Rangers can win the league AND then keep quiet about it?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  13. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    I saw santa last night!

14. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

No chance,we had this very discussion on our bus,most people thought it was rumours anyway
    now would you help rangers? not a hope in *

15. cmilkbhoy

absolute no way in * would we do that. even if the players were told to do you think players like mcgeady mcdonald etc that are bhoyhood celtic fans would take any notice of this?

16. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Rangers FC is 50% of what we call The Old Firm. This term is used to describe two great rivals in Scottish football, Scotland's only superpowers in the game. The Old Firm is arguably the SPL's greatest asset when negotiating TV contracts. Say when we were after a TV contract before this season, the league had no Rangers in it? How many subscriptions would be lost? You might argue that if Rangers had gone under, the fans would have 'migrated' to another SPL side, thus subscription figures remain undamaged. I believe they would have migrated to the EPL, where a better quality product is on display. So to summerise, the loss of Rangers FC would result in a significant fall in TV revenue not only for us, but for the whole of Scotland, thus bringing the product down. A kick in the teeth of Scottish football, so to speak. This would have long-term financial implications for Celtic. Also, let's face it, some fans live for the rivalry. The rivalry, the blood * is, by my reckoning, at least 40% of Celtic's identity. We loose our rivals, then we loose a part of ourselves. The season becomes more empty in a way. We loose fans. So it's not just the loss of the two full houses a season, its a decline in attendance across the board.

By what I've said here, I believe I have proved to you that missing out on the CL for ONE season is less financially damaging than loosing Rangers FC.

Your rebuttal, old sport?

Edit: I believe the story. Celtic as a business is soundly run by people who know what they are doing. I think they know what the consequences would have been had Rangers gone under. I also believe this is why Strachan quit, because he was told to give away the title. He couldn't say no to the boss, but at the end of it he could refuse to be part of it. I also firmly believe that the lack of spirit in the squad that first appeared at the tail end of last season and still lingers now, is because of what the management chose to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  17. Airdrie Onion

Wondering about my hole getting mustarded
    I think you'll be needing these links too. Seriously.

Step one

Step 2

Step N woof

18. Ghod7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Just Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I think I saw him to. Out on the ran dan with Big Foot

19. ElPaso

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady , McStay , Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SAM Song
    Rubbish. Can see were this view comes from but it is pure horse manure.

20. DanniGhirl

The SPL already get next to nothing in TV revenue, the loss of rangers wouldn't make that big an impact.

Rangers are 40% of Celtic's identity - are you serious? Most Celtic fans I know can't stand the term old firm and couldn't care less if they went out of business.

Rangers are still in business and attendances are falling.

I honestly can't believe that some fans believe that Celtic would be a part of match fixing - that's basically what you are saying.

No-one at Celtic wanted to lose the league last season, mistakes were made but we didn't deliberately throw games.