1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Should rebel songs be sung at games?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 2, 2009.

Discuss Should rebel songs be sung at games? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've seen a few people saying that rebel songs should be sung more at Celtic Park and that they help improve the atmosphere. So in your opinion, should rebel songs be sung more at games?

2. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    No

I think there's a time and place and it's not at celtic park

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    For me it's a no. I don't think that Celtic Park is the place for republican music.

4. HunSkelper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Of course not. Whatever your feelings on the subject, the I.R.A ARE a terrorist group in Britain.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  5. Pearse Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley and Let The People Sing
  6. RAllen67

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    tiocfaidh ar la
    i think yes its only songs after all at its part of the clubs history whether you like it or not

7. rootesmon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fave of the moment Boruc in the near past Moravcik, furhter back TB
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Anything by CATB
    Republican songs are part of our history, and although i'm not an expert The IRA was a legitimate army, it is PIRA , CIRA and RIRA who are classed as illegal organisations?.

8. Tictical_Genius

Is the 'Famine song' only a song?
    I'm no expert either, however I dont think that you're that far off the mark. Pro-IRA songs in todays day and age evoke far too many memory's of the latter-day IRA and it's subsequent splinter groups (even if the songs have nothing to do with them).

IMO, this is why so many people among our support do not want politics or other outside influences brought into the stadium.

9. woodlandsbhoy86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    a person who does not know where they came from is lost as far as i'm concerned.

how does it go again??

"let the people sing................"

and hunskelper, by the way, the IRA may be thought of as a terrorist group in Britain nowadays, but they had a lot to do defending irish folk from an oppressive british rule. you might want to think back in time more than 25 minutes. cheers

10. woodlandsbhoy86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough

i would say a lot of people who want to keep sport and politics separate just because they don't give a flying * about politics in the first place, and low and behold those who do, don't really have a problem with it.

if i'm speaking for people wrongly here, then please let me know.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I have quite an enthusiastic interest in politics and although I still have a lot to learn, I'm certain that football is a place where politics should not be.

12. woodlandsbhoy86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    we need more * democracy and politics in football, how do you think we've ended up with the closeds shops that are FIFA and the SFA? those organisations have no accountability to anyone but themselves and it shows.

13. format

I study politics and I think the two should have nothing to do with each other.

More democracy in football is fine, but democracy is not the same thing as politics.

14. HunSkelper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Don't patronise me, whether you like it or not the IRA are a terrorist group in Scotland, regardless of their history. This is not 1916 in Dublin or the troubles in Derry, this is Scotland and rebel songs bring thoughts of the car-bombing IRA, not the old IRA.

15. woodlandsbhoy86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    I think they probably mean different things to different people.

If you are right, and the IRA are a thought of terrorist group in scotland, (according to whom exactly?) Then why do you think that is? Our British culture finds it easier to only remember 'the troubles' or the bombs going off in London, think of ourselves as victims and forget the origins of the conflict. Not for one minute will i condone the bombing off civilians. It is heinous, disgusting and evil. There can no justification of these crimes.
    But these songs are about real things that happened, more appaling crimes, murders etc, but on a larger scale. Whether you like it or not these things happened to real people and a lot of us are descended from people who went through this, and still hold a strong sense of identity, whether or not you don't.

16. Markybhoy

Yes of course rebel songs should be sung at Celtic matches. These songs are a recognition of our Irish roots and heritage and our Irish roots are something we should be immensely proud of. For me personally, singing these songs is a way of showing solidarity with our Irish cousins and showing that we support them in their want to have a united country and be free from British government/oppression.

If I'm being honest I would probably admit that the IRA stuff is taking it a bridge too far but singing any Republican song that doesn't contain an IRA reference is totally fair game in my opinion. It's a controversial subject for sure but I'll be straight and say now....I do sing Republican songs at Celtic matches and I love it. It adds greatly to the atmosphere, particularly at away games, and the bottom line for me is I love a good atmosphere. Singing Republican songs satisfies me 3 fold..

1. It expresses my personal solidarity with our Irish cousins
    2. It always helps to generate a good atmosphere at matches
    3. It completely * the huns off

All 3 are worthy causes in my book. Keep the rebel songs, that's what I say. :celt_2:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  17. Markybhoy

Probably the BIGGEST farce at Celtic Park these days is that before the match they play 'Let the People Sing' over the tannoy and then when the match starts and people stand up and try to sing they get told to 'sit the * down' and 'shut up'. Obviously Celtic, the stewards and the cops do not do irony. :87:

18. Tictical_Genius

Rightly or wrongly, the modern world does not look kindly upon any organisation that has at any time taken up 'terrorist' tactics. The upshot being that these organisations become labeled as 'terrorist' regardless of their original intent and roots.

No amount of historical analysis to back up your point is going to change the wider world's perception, mud sticks, for want of a better phrase.

Pro-IRA chants and paraphernalia belongs away from the cameras as far as Celtic Football Club is concerned, and to be honest I can' say I disagree.

19. The Celtbot

I voted yes although I would prefer rebel songs without mention of the IRA specifically. There is nothing wrong with singing old traditional songs that have a history in Irish independence. So what if people interpret the lyrics differently nowdays? That's their problem. Might as well take down the Irish tri-color because it offends half the city of Glasgow. Should the Irish stop singing their national anthem because it is deemed to be "too rebel" in the UK?

20. williewallace

in my opinion singing rebel songs or attaching ourselves to whatever political platform that wants to use our fan base as a way to promote their agenda is wrong. we are Celtic a very succesful Scottish team that has Irish roots.
    Whilst we should not forget our roots should we also not look at our current support and the demographics that supply that support? By singing songs that alienate people are we telling current supporters that are part of the armed services they are not welcome? Where does it stop are we telling any of our supporters that if they are Jewish or Israeli then they are also not welcome? Really glad that the s.t.u.c. protest failed tonight and that's from a trade unionist member for the last 30 years ! Let the other mob be hijacked for political agendas , they're good at that, Celtic is a club wher all are welcome to come and watch good ( hopefully ) football with their friends and family.
    I apologise if my support of my club is wrong in some peoples eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.