1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Have We Messed Up

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by BrotherW, Nov 2, 2009.

Discuss Have We Messed Up in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BrotherW

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk Alone
    I have just been watching our preformances from the start of the season. We are a bad side and we are not gelling as a team and Tony is a part of this not fully to blame. He is hoping to get a few million to spend in january.

I think as per usual celtic will not spend in january and just keep their account under control as they see this in control of the club. I am giving Tony a chance but I do not think we will get any money in january.

I just think we have messed up totally anyone think the same?

2. die_hard_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields
    we're top of the league..... so, no, I do not think that at all. New managers have consistently struggled in europe in their first season, so I'm not terribly worried about that. I think you cannot judge until the league is over and if mowbray wins it, well then he's done his job hasn't he

3. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A competent Celtic manager should be able to get the best out of what he's got until he can get better. Mowbray hasnt done that. He's 4-4-1-1 is ineffective in the final 3rd of the field. He should be playing formations & tactics that get the best out of what he's got but he rather try to force square pegs into round holes which has been his folly.

January isnt the window for wholesale changes, the people that think that we'll ship out 10 players and get a rejuvenated squad are completely deluded. Mowbray was completely deluded in that interview where he said he'd try and his interview to clarify his transfer aims shows that either he came to his senses or the board told him to think before speaking to the press again.

Mowbray will only be able to tweak his squad in January, nothing else. This is driven by the fact that alot of clubs are happy with their squads and dont want to sell mid season.

Thats the reality.

4. jigraptor

Mowbray should play the formations and tactics, he believes in. Not try to grind out results , but go and build a team that can play good football and win trophies. " try to force square pegs into round holes" He is trying to get the players to play a different system. A system he believes in, and one that can be much better than just play a formation to grind out a result. The team will never improove if its not given time to do so. He deserves kudos for sticking to his principals of how he wants the team to play. He needs to be given the time and resources to build his team. Strachan played a totally different system so there is no way everyone is going to fit in to Mowbrays system and the current squad cant change the way they play overnight.
    Mowbray needs to be backed by the board and by the fans.....

He is going in the right direction....

Lets play the Celtic way for a change !!!!

If you want to grind out results follow Stoke City in the EPL....

5. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You've taken what I've said and gotten it arseways my friend.

I do want Mowbray to play his system, I do want free flow attacking football, dont get me wrong but he's only bought 3 first team players into a squad of 30. Early indications is that he'll want to change most of the existing first team for players for his style.

He should get a formation that works effectively with the current squad and as he changes the players within the squad, he should tweak the tactics accordingly and over a course of 3-5 windows he should have transitioned to his style of play.

e.g. He tried to play 4-4-1-1 against Hearts which kept breaking down in the final 3rd for the first 60 minutes and when he changed to 4-4-2, a known formation that works with many of the current squad, we got far more penetration. He currently doesnt have the players to play 4-4-1-1 effectively and therefore shouldnt use it.

Saturday, he used 4-4-2 and won 3-0, again using players in formations that enhance their strengths is more effective than using your preferred formation but without the key players to make it work effectively.

Less of your stoke nonsence and read my points more carefully.

6. DanniGhirl

No I don't think we've messed up.

We're top of the league despite going through a very bad run of results and performances.

Mowbray has made mistakes in his formations and the players have made schoolboy errors but you can't say we've messed up when we're not even halfway through the season.

There will not be wholesale changes in January, anyone expecting a lot of changes will be sorely disappointed.

If we don't win anything come the end of the season then you can say we messed up.

7. magicpole

Tony will get it right, the football when we get it rightr is much better. We are not getting wholesale changes in january, but we dont need them we need three players imo.

We will win the league and we will have a great team sooner rather than later, i believe in and trust Tony. He will deliver and so far for me the football and system is better, it is just clicking now and will only improve...and that is coming from a greetin faced *!:icon_mrgreen::50:

8. Shen

We didn't mess up. It's hard times for scottish football atm ...

9. BrotherW

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk Alone
    No
    I do like Tony and I have been going off and on him,but he has got the potential. I just do not think we will have any money to spend i agrr with dempsey he should be able to provide even with the team he has.

10. Lewento7

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King, KT in the future I suspect.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    For anyone that saw the game, we played well! 4-4-2 is the formation Celtic as a team, just now need to use. 3-0 flattered killie tbh!
    Mowbray will show us what he's worth soon.
    We WILL win the league this season! Hail Hail :shamrock:

11. hoops daft

Fav Celtic Player:
    one artur boruc MCGEADY
    Fav Celtic Song:
    soldier song feilds of athenry hail hail
    I do think we have a decent squad of players and should be good enough to win the league and should have been good enough to get through our europa league group .

I think mogga is to blame for our poor start to the season due to his tactics, selections, and the approach to the game the team have had since the start of the season .

But i also think he his still learning his trade as a manager and give time could mature into a really good manager for us . :50:

12. jigraptor

If he keeps reverting over and back between formations and tactics we will never get free flowing football. The team will never settle into a pattern of play, it'll go back to grinding out results. I guess its the style of play I'd be more worried about than the formation. If we are changing formation to change the tactics or style of play I would be more worried , than if he changed the formation to accomodate the players currently available....

If we dont play the right style from the start then even when Mowbray gets the squad he wants they will all be used to a different style and it may be too late to try and change some of them.

The point about stoke is, they play to grind out results, but they will never improve as a team or win anything...

13. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The team didnt play badly on saturday, did it? Did they have to grind out a result? No

14. magicpole

Ive done more grinding than Walter Smiths teeth lately...lets try and play fitba:50: you know it makes sense...even if i dont:icon_mrgreen::bbpd:

15. jigraptor

fair point....

I just think Moybray should stick to his guns and we will get the results as the team adapts.

we could get instant results by playing differently but will the team improve...will we challenge for trophies outside of the SPL.... will it be good enough to advance in Europe?

16. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He tried his tactics in the SPL and Europe without much consideration for the players he got and it backfired already. We are practically out of the Europa League because of it

17. magicpole

We are out of europe because we simply do not have good enough players. You could coach that lot till the cows come home, they need the help of four players.

We were dire last year and the form is improving with every game. we cannot fix the ills over night.

The group we are in is a tough one, and lets not throw the towel in too soon. there is still three rounds to go, lets keep the gloves on!

18. jigraptor

I agree the team is improving... a few bad results shouldnt mean a total change in our tactics. It should mean keep trying to improve the team...

19. magicpole

What you said with bells on!:icon_mrgreen::50:

20. Cville1989

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough!
    I don't think we've * up or anything, I think we're a team in transition. Mowbray is trying to gather his own team, some of the players don't seem to either fit into the new system, or don't like the manager!

Give TM the time and backing, I have no doubt he'll out do WGS, but only time will tell!