1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Sammy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by 30stm87, Oct 31, 2009.

Discuss Big Sammy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. hoops daft

Fav Celtic Player:
    one artur boruc MCGEADY
    Fav Celtic Song:
    soldier song feilds of athenry hail hail
    fair enough pal I just think he's worth keeping around he's a good player and deserves a decent run in the team imo .

2. OC

:56:

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Credit where credit is due Samaras was very good today. Hopefully this is the kind of game that gets him on the run he had early last season before his injury. As others have said when he is good he can be very good but he hasn't shown that consistently. When he is on his game he offers more then McDonald does I feel.

4. marco1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean south

How many players at celtic can trap and control a ball like sammy, not many. and once he gets the confidence back he will be a great player for us, every striker live and thrives on confidence and the players can sense and feel we are not happy, i just think we shouldstart showing why we are THE best fans in the world and get behind the team like we should do, and before anyone says anything i am not saying we should put up with crap all i am saying is when the TEAM is on the park SUPPORT them, and voice our opinions after the game with the people who matter the board and manager.

5. Piraeus

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden Aiden Aiden Aiden Aiden
    If he can get the Skippy parade off his back, he could be very special for Celtic.
    One thing - he has not had a decent coach since he left Holland. No one to teach him the basics. No one to tell him the exact positions he needs to take up.

He should either be told to play upfront, wing, or free role behind the striker. Instead he aimlessly tries all 3 while the latest clueless coach watches on impotent. Same happened at Man City.

Another problem, he wants too many touches. He needs to be taught, when near the box, don't be afraid to shoot on site - even if Skippy does try and bully him if he misses or does not pass, Samaras needs to understand, Skippy does that simply to knock his confidence, and secure himself as the main starter at Celtic (his future paycheck/ value).

As stated on countless occasions, Samaras needs at least 5 consecutive starts to build confidence, knowledge of the players around him and understand the game better.

Today he was the best player on the pitch and did the most. He now needs to build on this.

6. 30stm87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing.

Exactly :50: I just think alot of people don't even look at that tho, they don't like him & thats all there is to it, they refuse to see how good he is & can be, which I don't get, he is our best striker, he is like Killen, McDonald & Fortune rolled into 1, cos he can run the flanks (Fortune), he can score plenty goals (McDonald) & is good in the air (Killen) & thats the reason he plays the lone role in Europe, but some fans dont see that for what ever reason..

7. Firefly

Fav Celtic Player:
    Was Lubo, Now Big Jan
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On or Let The People Sing
    I stand by what I have always said, that if Samaras gets a good run in the team and stays injury free then he will easily be the best striker at the club. He works harder than Skippy and also has more natural ability than the wee man even though Skippy is probably a more natural finisher because he is always sniffing about but i think alot of the work Sammi does with his runs and work rate is very good. I really hope he gets a good run now.

8. WEEMAN7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul mcstay, Henrik larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf clover, Willie Maley
    Well said bud!:50: Times as they are, we need players like samaras. I truely believe some fans just don't like his hairdo. Because the young fella can score goals.

9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

McGeady or Arshavin? ........ Arshavin
    Samaras or Ibrahimovic? ..... Ibrahimovic

seriously, what has that cancer done to you John?

10. Darren !

Fav Celtic Song:
    Its the I....
    WOW :56:

11. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

what do you mean 'wow' m8?

12. jordybhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Present -Kayal, Izzy, Mulgrew and Wilson. Past - Henrik and Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields and YNWA
    he justs need to find consistency and i would have him in starting line up anyday , when he plays good he is brilliant to watch , think back , those goals against totenham kilmarnock etc

13. Don Corleone

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamuraaaaaa
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    In order for Sammy to play well he needs a partner that supports him, he's got goals in him without a doubt it's just that he's been the one forced to play the support role beside McDonald who is solely a poacher.

I think we're going to see the best of Sammy's ability as long as he gets a run along side money man Marco.

14. Craigyjac.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeid
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hampden In The Sun
    Badly phrased, at best.
    regarding Sammy, I can't bring myself to dislike him, there is just something likeable there.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2009
  15. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    :56::56:

16. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    samy needs punted! simple.he is not good enough for celtic and id rather give one of our youth players a game before him! * id play feruz before him tbh.

the amount of times he moans,falls over at hee haw ,misses simple chances that even kenny misser would score? is to me not the mark of a good striker. and fair enough he did play well yesterday! no problem! but he doesnt do this often enough for me.id sell him no problem there we need a striker that scores us 25-30 goals a season? is sammy that player??:rolleyes:

17. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    The only game Samaras has been quiet or done poor was Arsenal, but then again when playing one up I don't foresee us ever having a striker who can mix it with the big 4 of England, Barca, and the like...

Last game he along with Hinkel was clear MOTM, against Hearts in the 45 minutes he played he created more and worked harder for the badge than most of the team that started, McCourt aside. His directness and instincts setup helped the ball on to McDonald for what turned out to be the winner against Hamilton. Against Hamburg he only got around 30 minutes but still showed passion and was forced to come deep for the ball thanks to the misfiring midfield. Although I didn't see the game the BBC said he picked out McGinn for a glaring miss against Motherwell which could of been a gamebreaker. People who think he has nothing to his game are blind.

Going further back along our results, he was predominantly a substitute but going by most recently it's clear that when he starts he is one of our best players and has been providing both goals and assists. Oh and of course there was that lucrative goal in Moscow :50:

He get's SUCH a hard time from Celtic fans, pretty disappointing tbh. One of the misses against Hearts for example you could see the fans behind the goal going straight for the jugular instead of applauding what was a fine run. Personally looking forward to his continued starting in the first team so he can get back to his form early last year that was getting more than 1 goal a game.

18. padee

Fav Celtic Player:
    N'Guemo (this season)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Streets of New York
    it will take samaras more than one decent shift for me to stop cringing and squeeming when he gets the ball, he does not tick any of the boxes that a decent striker should do in my eyes and would happily see him go in January. Infact i hope he plays a little better until jan so we can get some cash for him

19. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fair enough mmmikey! b ut you cannot say watching him at times is like watching paint dry? he seems un interested and doesnt look like he wants to be here at times! and this annoys the crap out of me. if he wants to succeed here? he needs to show more consistantsy(spelling lol:icon_mrgreen:). like i said some like him some dont and im one of those at this minute that cant take to him just now! i want him to be great of course but the jury is still out on him for me and like i said i wouldnt hesitate on selling him tbh.

20. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    Fair do's, and he can be pretty frustrating. I think people do sometimes read too much into his body language, because if you pay attention to his football, if pointed out in my last post some of his key contributions from starting matches this season. I think he's been our best forward so I do struggle to see why people are so harsh on him, usually reasoning as you say that they just can't take to him.