1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Sammy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by 30stm87, Oct 31, 2009.

Discuss Big Sammy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. 30stm87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing.
    Was just reading John Hartson's article in the Sun today & here is what he had to say about Sammy..

"Zlatan Ibrahimovic doesn't have anything in his game that Georgios Samaras doesn't. Tall Athletic, Quick & Strong, The Barcelona & Celtic strikers are from the same mould".

He then goes on to say that Sammy can be abit frustrating at times, & that he needs a good shake, cos he should score goals left, right & Centre, I think we can all agree with this, as proved today, Sammy was superb today, he was all over the field, & as the Sportsound commentator Liam McLeod said "Is there a blade of grass that the big Greek hasn't covered?"

I member reading an article not that long ago about Sammy, his strike partner at Heerenveen was Jan Klaas Huntelaar, & I member reading that the coach there said Samaras was just as good. I have made a few posts on Sammy, most in his defence, but its only because I truely believe that Samaras is class, & is good enough to play for Celtic, I agree with most posts about alot of our players not upto much but Samaras is real quality & with a run of games I think can prove that, he's never really had a run of 5-6 games & maybe with that his confidence would lift & with that more goals would come, you can't fault his work rate, nor his team work, he is very much a team player who is unselfish & maybe at times abit to unselfish when he is in good positions, but he is still young & learning, & I believe he will become the striker that we have seen glimpses of.

The other night against Hearts, you can argue he should have took his chances, I agree I can't argue there, but what I can say, Is he is good enough to get into those positions he was strong & clever the way he bent his runs & got himself into those positions, & never let his head drop either, if he fails the first time he never gives up he's there to try make amends the next time, & you can't fault the man for that. Im not saying he will go down in history as 1 of the Celtic greats, but he def doesn't fall into the category of the duds..

Here is hoping thats Sammy on a good run after today, As I said in another Thread, he wants to extend his stay & I would love him to stay longer, & esp. if he puts in performances like he did today, was so impressed with him, McGeady & Crosas today, they were a class above others..

2. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Sorry, he's a hard worker but I just think the guy is 2nd rate in every department.

Not strong enough, not quick enough, not clinical enough.

Would be one of the first out the door for me.

3. Craigyjac.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeid
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hampden In The Sun
    I think big John's been at the noise up recently.

4. ConnellyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ľubomír Moravčík
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    For the ammount of chances the guy misses, if he even scored half of them he'd be walking away with hat tricks left right and centre, he just doesn't finish them well enough.

5. Timmy10

Samaras is up there with the top ten worst finishers ive ever seen in my life. Unbelievably frustrating

6. OC

First saying McGeady can fill Arshavin's boots, now this... Honestly, he's been talking lots of pish lately.

7. morganbartlett

not quick enough :97:

hes probably the fastest player at the club when he's fully fit

8. The The Hand

Aye, after a thirty-yard run-up maybe.

He's fast enough when he gets rolling, but he's not quick, as in acceleration.

Having said that, we don't have a quick, mobile striker at CP - and anyway, I like Samaras.
    I'd like to see him and Fortuné tried out as a starting pairing. :50:

9. hoops daft

Fav Celtic Player:
    one artur boruc MCGEADY
    Fav Celtic Song:
    soldier song feilds of athenry hail hail

You don't watch him much do you . :56:that's his two best attributes and he's very good at them . He also has decent control and his finishing isn't bad .

everyone looks at one game where he didn't finish a few chances (only one of witch he can be blamed for ) and all of a sudden he cant finish he's not strong or quick . :rolleyes:

Sammy has the club at heart and deserves respect for that . He has real potential and can be our best striker when he hits form and gets the fans of his back .

and BTW didn't he score the first goal today what else dose he have to do . :87:

10. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Oops :52:

11. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Nah I dont watch him :rolleyes:

Strong?

Mate, if a defender drops a decent fart on him he'll fall over.

Its not one game, its several games.

He has the club at heart?

WOW! :87:

In that case, can I get a game up front?

12. hoops daft

Fav Celtic Player:
    one artur boruc MCGEADY
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Nope don't agree i saw him run countless times today holding players off and I didn't say he should get a game because he has the club at heart I said it should grant him more respect from the fans because alot are on his back at the moment .

13. die_hard_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields
    I like sammy, but his shot is not as strong as a striker's usually is. He likes to place the ball in the net more often than not. All it needs sometimes, like when on breakaways, is a * low rifling into the net. I figure he can do it, cuz he has done it, for instance, like when we played spurs

14. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Not doubting he had a good game today, but its about consistency mate and as I've said, the guy for me is generally, at best, second rate in every department.

Every game I have been at this season he has been rank rotten.

Players get respect when they play well, its that simple.

15. DanniGhirl

Samaras can be very frustrating to watch but when he's good, he can be really good he's just very inconsistent.

He puts in a lot more effort that McDonald yet gets a lot more criticism - even when he plays well which is what I find unfair. I have no problem him being criticised when he plays badly however when he plays well some people still refuse to acknowledge it, yet other players can be exempt from criticism it seems.

16. pelethebhoy

I think if the big man stopped being so nice, held his position, and started making direct runs with the ball he'd get more goals. he needs to be more ruthless and use his size to his advantage he should be bullying defenders left right and centre. All he needs to do is look at dvds of big sutton...

17. Blantyre Bhoy

Sorry but he really isn't up the challenge, he ain't consistent enough for starters, and he lacks the fighting qualities required to get us between fifteen and twenty goals a season, even in the rubbish SPL.

Come January he should be moved on, we need a poacher like Dixie Deans, Andy Walker or Charlie Nic. Mac Donald's gone in the huff with Mowbray and is really not trying a leg, perhaps Strachan might be interested in him come January. Good start today for WGS, wonder what he said to the press after losing to Luggy Sturrocks Plymouth Argyle, maybe he just smiled !!!

18. Larsson777

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson,Boruc,McGeady,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry,Raised on celtic
    He told that Rhyl have a good chances against partizan...
    It was 12-0 on aggregate!
    :31::31::31:

19. DanniGhirl

Did he not get between that last season?

20. hoops daft

Fav Celtic Player:
    one artur boruc MCGEADY
    Fav Celtic Song:
    :56:AWW you beat me to it lol.