1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mowbray Threads Merged: All Mowbray posts in here please

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by 30stm87, Oct 28, 2009.

Discuss Mowbray Threads Merged: All Mowbray posts in here please in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ScottishGhirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    McDonald Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone

I actually enjoyed that post :50:

Agree with you.

2. DanniGhirl

So the time for supporting Mogga was the 25th of October, the time for calling for him to be sacked is a mere 3 days later, glad you cleared that up for me.

I have no agenda, you made the posts I just quoted them. The posts I quoted highlight how fickle fans can be, like I said, your opinions seem to change with the wind.

I want a manager that will do his best to get the best for Celtic, Mowbray needs to improve, I've stated that on numerous occasions now, however, sacking him is not conductive to getting the best imo.

Money is definitely not everything but when you want at least half the team changed then it sort of comes in handy to enable the club to get the quality "we deserve". As well as selling those that aren't good enough we need to sell those with a higher sell on value meaning even more players need replacing which takes us back to this vicious circle of where do we get the money from.

3. craigcfc7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broonyy...Broonyy....!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Exactly....

When thing weren't going right on the park, you always seen Strachan out shouting and moaning at the players...Mowbray doesn't do that, and theres absoltley no passion or Enthusiasm. Its soul destroying to watch celtic right now... And the buck for me, stops with our "Manager". :38:

4. Taylor

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Top Post :50:

i said it in the match thread.

mowbray sits at the back leaning on the shed and does * all the whole game, its always peter grant thats out shouting and giving intstructions and mowbray makes an appearence every now and then.

there is absolutely no passion what so ever.

5. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Why cant we back him and be done with it ? I for one hated the fact that wgs didnt have the backing of all the support as whether you liked him as a man is neither here nor there because he brought success to our club and thats all that should matter . Tm i feel will get it right given time and money and lets not forget we are top of the league and while i cannot speak for everyone i say if we win one trophy this year i want the league as although its never nice to lose id rather lose now than the league so i ask all supporters to back the manager and try to support the team and ffs lets cut out the booing because who does that help ??? Hail Hail

6. gunt

That does my head in. I loved Strachans incredible passion and MON had it too. Mowbray is playing the Ice King and it leaves me cold (fck thats cheesey but you know what I mean). Any normal person would be tearing them a new one. Put it this way, sitting back like a JImmy Nail statue someone has built against the dugout for a laugh sure isnt working:rolleyes:

7. gunt

I think its all a lot more simple than that. We have with some skill assembled players of good enough quality to can fill about 8 or 9 positions that realistically I do not think we will better. All this hysteria that all the players are useless is mince. The problem is we are only as strong as our weakest links: the CF and CH positions. Although I am giving Mowbray a hard time, this is an issue that goes back to the last year or 2 of WGS's reign: the lack of the board being willing to fund a one-off signing spree on a great CF and CH.

There is strong evidence that this problem was identified 2 years ago we have been looking for these players and failing for about 4 or 5 windows. These are expensive to get real quality in and the board have not been willing to shell out say 5 million a player and 30 grand a week wages each needed to bring them here. Football is a simple game and its pretty well as simple as that. The sad thing is by skimping and forcing us to go for cheap 1 or 2 million pound option we have wasted a fair bit of money. No manager choses to dabble about signing the Killen and Samaras bargain basement players.

This is a board issue going back 2 years and I think not funding solving the issue in a window some time back has been a false economy and cost us the league, the CL money and a manager IMO. So, Board, if you do not want to sink another manager then shell out the going rate for an international class CH and CF. Its big money but if you did it even last January we would have had the CL money for a start.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
  8. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    If we don't beat Killie at home on Saturday then he simply has to go for me.

That'll be:

Skint Rangers top of the league (Probably)
    Out of Europe
    Out a cup competition
    2 wins out of 10 at home.
    Beaten 3 times at home in Europe, when we only lost twice in 8 years previous (To Barcelona!).

I'm not liking how he's putting all the blame on the quality of the players either, WGS managed to get results with the same squad.

Simply NOT good enough.

9. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    i find this crazy that people want him punted already! * he has been here 4 months or so guys! give him a chance for crying out loud! we should be slaughtering this team of underachieving players this season as to me some of these players look as if they dont want to be here anymore?

mowbray needs time! give him time? and im pretty sure he will deliver us a better product on the field! ANYWAY THERE IS A SAYING! ROME WASNT BUILT IN A DAY! and neither will moggas team!

10. DanniGhirl

That's my point Gunt, it's not just Mowbray's man management to blame, although it can be improved.

I was talking earlier to a friend and I said I'd be satisfied if we could get a decent CB in and even a 6 month loan signing for a striker just to see us through this season as I think that would be enough. I'd like a creative midfielder as well but it's not as much of a necessity as the other two positions.

So all those calling for Mowbray to be sacked are failing to look at the bigger picture - although Mowbray needs to improve, he's not the sole reason for our poor form.

11. gunt

I think you are maybe being a bit OTT but I agree about Levein. I have a feeling in my guts he will one day be a great OF manager and I really hope it is with us. He is a proper old style manager. I think he did great with Dundee United and Hearts and was unlucky to join a self destructing club at Leicester. I think if he gets his hands on a big team with some more money he could do wonders. I would happily live with the disruption of sacking Mowbray at Xmas to get him in. People will say Leveins CV aint great but sometimes you just get the vibe about someone and Levein just has it.

Mowbray seems to me to be a space cadet babbling on about his football ideals like John Barnes. Far too big a mouth in front of the press. Again Celtic fans got what they wished for, someone who is straight and an open book with the press. Well there are reasons for managers being guarded and obtuse with the press and now you know why. You dont bust your balls for some guy who is saying 10 out of 11 of you are *. I suspect he doesnt have the respect of the players that WGS had. Even if he is thinking that, what sort of manager says it publically 3 months or more before the window. These players are all he has for the next 3 months FFS! Some damage could be done by the time the next window shuts. Also he probably knocked off part of the value of players we sell by saying that. You should always hide the fact you want rid of players so that the price stays decent. Now it sounds like a fire sale. He also is using the press to mess with Lawell about funds. That is very very foolish and I wouldnt be surprised if Lawell is angry and bitterly regretting the appointmrent now. Mowbray babbles too much, so like Barnes its unreal.

12. CelticUtd

Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    i made no quams in saying tony Mowbray is a great guy with great ideals, but so was John Barnes .

13. Richmal

I have made my feelings known about this appointment, however, i want to say a few things, i like him as a man and i have lots of respect for him, players are letting him down as well, * i wish it would come good for him, it hurts me to see him getting abuse on TV \ Radio, cos i think he is a sensitive man deep down, i hope he comes good, i feel sorry for him, so anyway, i was against his appointment, i think we will win nothing, but i like him as a person, i hope that players start playing for him, i really do,:54: believe me, i want to eat humble pie, and see him realise his ambitions, i really do!

14. gunt

The stats (and I have heard them quoted for MON years too) mean nothing. The style of other SPL teams slowly has become more and more defensive and organised over the WGS years and has nwo probably levelled out at maximum negativeness now. With hindsight wee SPL teams were crazy before that playing open football against far better players. Each year, tactics make it more and more likely that wee teams will sneak draws. I am sure because of this the numbers of goals scored has dropped off too.

15. gunt

Stachan had a lot more top level (EPL) experience. He kept wee teams in the EPL for several years. He got to a cup final. He got a team to mid table and into the UEFA cup. His CV was similar to MON's. Both MON and WGS were essentially lower half EPL managers. Mowbray is a championship level manager who did not even have the experience of keeping wee EPL teams up for several seasons which is a very impressive and valuable skill in itself. There is simply no comparison between WGS and MON on the one hand and BTM on the other.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
  16. gunt

Its a bit of both IMO. The underlying problem is not shelling out on 2 or 3 big players in the CH and CF positions. BTW I actually think in the SPL the striker problem is the bigger one. The CBs mattered more in Europe but that is done. These problems could have been sorted 18 months ago without losing a manager. I genuinely believe if this squad had one quality CB and one or two quality strikers this would be a very strong team.

However, Mowbray has dissapointed too and I believe he is less able to get this group of players to get results against the better sides than WGS. He is naive with the press, slagging players, constant tinkering, not playing to the players strengths etc etc. He may yet be a genius but jeez he really does need to be a bit more guarded and to adjust his tactics back until he really does have the players to play his systems. Another ancanny parallel with Barnes maybe. Remember Barnes with his 4-2-2-2 madness because he wanted us to play like Brazil. He embarrised himself by warbling about this in the press constantly. After a few months he had to switch back to a standard 3-5-2 because the players were not suited to his dream system (and bear in mind he had an incredoible array of talent including Henke, Viduka, Lambo, Lubo Berkovik, Burley, Stubbs, Mjallby, Stan etc).

17. adiadi

i say give him to mid february and if things still arent convincing then * him because i think this could be an eventful transfer window in january

18. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Tony Mowbrey must be given money to spend, the board owe him that much, the team he took over was very, very poor. 1 or 2 decent players and the rest average, they werent working as a unit, the celtic family of the strachan years became disfunctional.

19. jcwelsh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobo Balde
    Fav Celtic Song:
    WILLIE MALEY
    WGS or TM , niether are to blame.......

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CNicola%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I think it is time to focus our anger in the right direction, the people who call themselves Celtic supporters and continue to give each other big wage packets as the teams is falling apart.
    We keep going on about how we have a billion pound between the owners of Celtic and they continue to penny pinch whilst the likes of the true fans spend there hard earned cash every year even though we see what is going on in front of us
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I used to think a team like ours should be able to beat the likes of Hearts, UTD, Hibs and Aberdeen because we spent more than them until I realised we just bought the same type of players as them but for more money.
    There is not a lot that has changed from this team to WGS's team. No wonder it is still not working.
    I mentioned back in July that Willie Mcstay would be not a bad choice due to the fact he would have known what was needed to be done. Any manager coming in would need to find his feet and assess the team first before making any radical changes and I don't think patience is in the vocabulary of some of the supporters.

In saying that I do think some of the decisions, like using all your subs with half an hour to go with possible extra time pending. Could have back fired.
    When hearts got the goal I felt we where playing ok at that point and I would have left it for another ten minutes. It looked to me that we didn't take them seriously with the way we brought Sammy and McDonald off the bench straight away.

I like TM's honesty when he is talking to the press but I do think he panics more than he should.
    His opinion of the players has changed since he arrived, I remember him saying the reason for leaving WBA was that fact he would be working with a better quality of player, now he has openly said words to the opposite.
    We can’t blame TM for the way the squad has been depleted over the last 3 years and we also can’t blame him if the board don’t give him proper money to improve it and if WGS is * with the fact his squad is not performing and is being slated then he should not try and deny it anymore , it is just a pity he didn't hold his hand up for the crap we have playing for us just now and blame it on the budget and wage structure we have.

20. kevgal1888

Any1 with half a brain

could see this downfall coming!!winning the league under WGS just papered over the cracks!now mowbray says he needs to strenghen big time in Jan,but the people who said he should of done it in the summer on this forum just got slated with 'no money,were debt free so thats good and remember were playin in scotland' jibes!!

i hope all u people who stood beeside strachan and the board now understand what all us 'negative' fans were talking about!!!:47: