1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Passion from the Touchline

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by craigcfc7, Sep 17, 2009.

Discuss Passion from the Touchline in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. craigcfc7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broonyy...Broonyy....!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Is anyone else missing the passion shown from the touchline which we were used to from our previous two managers. Both MON and WGS always showed the passion and encouragement to our players. Theres doesn't seem to be that figure in the current management team....

Perhaps it would more evident if we had Neil Lennon in the dugout again.....!

If things are going bad, I personally like to see the manager out showing encouragement and passion....that passes onto the players I feel.....

??

2. Benedict XVI

Fav Celtic Player:
    Present : Hinkel Past : Thompson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing. Partial To A Rebel
    Agree 100%
    If Mowbary isn't going to show any passion for the club then get Lennon back into the 1st team set -up

3. doctor venglos

Good point buddy and one I made in a new thread about Owen Coyle.
    Watching Mowbray/Grant and Venus is like watching three suits in the dug out totally detached from the mood, tempo and passion for the game.
    At least with Mon and WGS you got passion and drama all the way which transmitted itself to the players and fans.
    Mowbray's dispassionate nature acts in reverse, and he seems resigned to his fate

4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Good observation, it seems like he doesn't care. WGS at least actively participated in the match.

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Don't give a toss if he doesn't even sit in the dugout tbh, results are all that matters.

6. Taylor

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    agreed. i actually mentioned the lack of passion in another thread, everytime it goes to mowbray hes either on the touchline with arms folded or in the dugout leaning on the shed, its dire man!, hes provided far too many empty promises now.

feel sorry for our traveling fans that had to sit out there and watch that mess tonight :54:

7. gunt

I think there is no doubt that BTM is a bit of a let down in the dugout and in interviews after the real characters that were WGS and MON. I know he wasnt everyones cup of tea but I tried to never miss an interview with WGS because he was always entertaining or controversial or something. I know it doesnt really matter but I have been taken aback at just how block of wood like BTM is on the touchline. I know its not important but a little bit of the entertainments/circus left with WGS and I actually am less interested in the footy as a result.

8. squeeldoggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    So what if Mowbray starts to show passion and we still get pumped by * teams in Europe. What if he shows passion and we still play * , we will deffo loose games in the league this season. I couldnt care about his passion, I want good results as a supporter.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I know that Peter Grant sitting on the touchlin no passion for Celtic at all and Mowbray oh he's just notg Celtic minded

i may be * pished as a fart but get a * grip

passion on the touchline * is that going to do? passion on the * pitch is what you want

10. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I remember a shot of Stuart Pearce roaring abuse, hand flailing everywhere and generally driving himself towards a heart attack and in the next dugout, Rafa Benitez was, whats seemed like, standing there. He was by comparison but on a close up, he was whistling and signaling his instructions to players in a calm and composed manner.

It doesnt matter what way a manager acts on the sideline or how he interacts with his players, the same way it doesnt matter how a manager talks to the media or what they are like personally. It doesnt * matter.

What matters is the result and only the result. This is a results based business now, deal with that fact.

11. DanniGhirl

sums it up exactly, what difference is jumping up and down the touchline going to make?

12. ryan1984

O you'd people seriously think peter grant has no passion for Celtic??

I am assuming the op is one of these 'new crop' of supporters. Some plukey faced high school wean who never seen him win us the cup final in 95 on 1 * leg.

Honestly some of the utter gash on this forum is incredible

13. The Celtbot

I agree :50:. I thought this thread was going to be the lack of passion shown by the players, not the manager.:56:

14. craigcfc7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broonyy...Broonyy....!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Did anyone say that Tony Mowbray OR Peter Grant didn't have passion for Celtic? I think thats a prime example of a comment which has been totally turned on its head for the benefit of having a go at peoples threads! What my initial post was getting at is that I enjoyed watching WGS and MON when tv clips went ot him, and when Celtic scored goals. I think overall that had an efect on the team, and certainly the crowd! If your a player and you constantly have your manager telling you how you can improve your performance in a match, and constantly have him moaning at you throughout, theres a good chance that as a player, you will be kept on your toes, and your performance will be effected positivly.

15. kennydal

He cant do much once the game starts ,all the talking is done during the week at training and before a game ,and topped up at half-time ,his hands are tied when the whistle blows ,there pro footballers and if they dont know there day to day job [training ]taking instructions etc they shouldnt be on the park.

16. OC

From what I saw, Walter Smith rarely goes to the touchline, he spends most of the match watching from the stands. Results for Huns are good, so I don't think shouting and jumping by the touchline would make any difference. Players aren't showing any desire whatsoever.

17. DannybhoyCFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown, Roberts, Dembele, Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe Mcdonnell, Grace
    agree 100%, if your playing football and your manager is sat on the sidelines looking like a miserable git then its not the best feeling in the world

miss the days of MON going mental on the sideline, showing passion for the job

When Mobray loses its just another bad day at the office, when MON lost a game, it was a big deal and a blow to celtic not just his job

18. DanniGhirl

Just because someone doesn't show their emotions, or wear their heart on their sleeve doesn't mean they don't feel it as much, how do you know it's just a bad day at the office for Tony Mowbray.

MON was very sophisticated when it came to knowing what the fans wanted to hear, I'm not saying he didn't mean what he was saying, but he certainly knew how to play the media game.

19. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Call me cynical but I was surprised by the amount of people that bought every word he said without question.

He talked to Celtic fans the very same as he did Leicester supporters and as he does Villa supporters.

He knows how to deal with "rich, opinionated modern footballers" and he know exactly how to use the media to keep highly opinionated modern fans onside, win loose or draw.

Once again, people are judging our manager on his media handling ability which is bullshit tbh.

Are people trying to make out that Mowbray etc dont care enough about Celtic?? Oh dear *...

20. DanniGhirl

Cynical :icon_mrgreen:

I know what you are saying, that's what I was trying to get at, MON knew what the fans wanted to hear, and was extremely good at using the media to tell us what we wanted to hear, a lot of people will believe what they want to without asking any questions.

I'm not saying anything against MON here as I think he was exactly what we needed at that time and I'll always remember some of the great games I witnessed while he was in charge but to compare his jumping about to TM appearing more passive is ridiculous.

After what Mowbray experienced when he was here as a player, no-one can accuse him of not caring but at the end of the day it doesn't impact on how good he is at his job.