1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lfc

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Chrissy LFC, Dec 9, 2004.

Discuss Lfc in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Chrissy LFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thompson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!!
    Hi Im new, im a liverpool fan and im 14. Yorkshire tim persuaded me to join this site as long as I didn't cause bother, so I wont!!!!!!

I live in West Yorkshire too. I dont know too much about celtic so maybe some of you can help me out???

Cheers

2. Dubsbhoy Banned!

welcome to site, good win for yis last night :50:

3. Chrissy LFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thompson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye very good win I just hope that steven gerrard stays with us!!!

4. jaradthescot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beattie again. Give the wee bhoy a run, WGS
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jinky
    Welcome to the site Chrissy

5. timsforever

Fav Celtic Player:
    all them get behind the team at all times
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk on
    WELCOME TO THE SITE CHRISSY, could you try get gerrard and xavi alonso to join celtic lol

6. Mark

What a belter of a goal Gerrard scored by the way.

Welcome mate :50:

7. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

Welcome to TC. Nice to see non-Celtic fans joining and taking part in the Celtic discussions!

8. Chrissy LFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thompson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Cheers for the Welcome lads! I enjoy talkin about footie and Celtic are the best scottish team I know!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2004
  9. Dubsbhoy Banned!

stay here for 3 months and you'll be going to anfield with your celtic scarf

BRAINWASHING in progress :celt_2:

10. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

I'll second that! :shamrock: :celt_2: :yeah:

11. i've tried and tried at school, but his family are scouse so i can't win!! lol

12. charliebhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    heres a brief history for ya m8, welcome to the site

YNWA

November 6, 1887
    Celtic Football Club is formally constituted in St Mary's Church Hall in East Rose Street (now Forbes Street), Calton. The purpose is stated as being to alleviate poverty in Glasgow's East End parishes.

May 28, 1888
    Celtic beat Rangers 5-2 in a "friendly". It is the new club's first match and is played on the first Celtic Park.

Celtic reach the final of the Scottish Cup in their first full season of competition, but they lose 2-1 to the well-established Third Lanark. However, the club wins its first trophy, the North-Eastern Cup (a local competition), beating Cowlairs 6-1 in the final.

Celtic win the Scottish Cup for the first time in their history by defeating Queen's Park 5-2 in the final at Ibrox Park. A few months later, the club moves to its present ground.

Celtic win their first Scottish League Championship.

The club becomes a private limited liability company, and Willie Maley is appointed secretary-manager.

1905-1910
    Celtic win the League Championship for six successive seasons.

Celtic achieve the "double" by winning the Scottish Cup and the League Championship in the same season, the first time the feat has been achieved in the history of the national sport. The team repeats the achievement the following season.

1914-1917
    Celtic win the championship four times in a row.

Celtic beat Aberdeen in a Scottish Cup final, watched by a record crowd of 146,433 at Hampden Park. The attendance (sometimes reported as 147,365) remains a record for a club match in Europe.

Celtic win the Empire Exhibition Trophy by defeating Everton 1-0 at Ibrox after extra time in the final.

Former player and ex-captain Jimmy McGrory replaces Jimmy McStay as manager.

Celtic defeat Hibernian 2-0 in the final of the Coronation Cup, held to celebrate the crowning of Queen Elizabeth II. The invited teams included the best in Scotland and England, and the final attracted a crowd of 117,000 at Hampden Park.

Celtic win the League Cup for the first time - after a decade of striving - by beating Partick Thistle 3-0 in a replay.

Celtic retain the League Cup in memorable style by thrashing Rangers 7-1 in the final.

Celtic reach the semi-final of the European Cup-Winners' Cup in only their second campaign in European competition, but lose 4-3 on aggregate to MTK Budapest.

Jock Stein succeeds Jimmy McGrory as manager in March 1965, and guides the team to the first victory in a Scottish Cup final in 11 years. Billy McNeill's dramatic header seals a 3-2 win over Dunfermline Athletic.

Celtic win the championship for the first time in 12 seasons, and reach the semi-final of the Cup-Winners' Cup again before losing 2-1 on aggregate to Liverpool.

Celtic complete their most glorious season by winning every competition entered: Scottish League, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Glasgow Cup and the European Cup. The climax of the season is the 2-1 victory over Inter Milan in the European Cup final played at the Estadio Nacional in Lisbon on May 25, 1967. Celtic thus become the first British (and non-Latin) club to win Europe's most coveted trophy.

Celtic reach the final of the European Cup again, but lose 2-1 to Feyenoord after extra time in Milan. In the semi-final Celtic defeated Leeds United in both legs. The second leg at Hampden Park was watched by 133,961, the largest crowd ever to watch a match in European club competition.

Celtic reach the European Cup semi-final for the third time, but lose in heart-breaking fashion at Parkhead to Inter Milan when Dixie Deans misses the first spot kick during the penalty shoot-out.

Celtic win the league championship for the ninth season in a row - at the time, a joint world record for success in domestic titles. The team reaches the semi-final of the European Cup for the fourth time, but loses 2-0 on aggregate to Atletico Madrid.

Billy McNeill, captain of the 1967 team, succeeds Jock Stein as manager. During Stein's 12-year tenure (excluding 1975/76, when he was recuperating from injuries received in a car accident), the club enjoyed 25 successes in major competitions: the European Cup, 10 Championships, 8 Scottish Cups and 6 League Cups.

Billy McNeill guides Celtic to the championship in his first season as manager. The title is gained in truly dramatic fashion at Celtic Park with a 4-2 win over Rangers in the club's final match.

Another ex-player, David Hay, replaces Billy McNeill as manager.

Celtic win the Scottish Cup by beating Dundee United 2-1 at Hampden Park in the 100th cup final.

Celtic * the championship by pipping Heart of Midlothian on the last day of the campaign. The margin was on goal difference, as Celtic beat St Mirren 5-0 at Love Street and Hearts fall to two late goals from Dundee at Dens Park.

Billy McNeill returns to Celtic Park as manager, replacing David Hay.

Celtic celebrate the centenary season (1987/88) by winning the first "double" in 11 years. The accomplishment marks the 35th league title, and the 28th Scottish Cup.

Celtic win the Scottish Cup for the 29th time as Joe Miller's goal sinks Rangers by 1-0.

Liam Brady becomes Celtic's manager when he takes over from Billy McNeill. His appointment marks a break from tradition, as he is the first Celtic manager never to have played for the club.

Liam Brady is replaced as manager by former-Celt Lou Macari.

In March, expatriate businessman and Celtic supporter Fergus McCann takes control of a financially-strained club, in the process ousting a board of directors which included members with long family connections with Celtic. Shortly afterwards, Lou Macari is replaced as team manager by another ex-Celt Tommy Burns. Later that same year, in accordance with Fergus McCann's Five-Year Plan, the club is reconstituted as a plc, a development quickly followed by the most successful share-issue in the history of British football with 10,000 taking up the offer of investing a minimum of £620, thus contributing £14 million towards the re-financing of the club.

Celtic play home fixtures at Hampden Park during season 1994/95, while Celtic Park is undergoing the first phase of a reconstruction, leading to the development of a stadium for the new Millennium, capable of holding 60,500 spectators in all-seated comfort.
    The 'exile' ends with a 1-0 victory over Airdrieonians in the Scottish Cup final, marking the club's 30th triumph in the competition and also the first major trophy since 1989.

Tommy Burns is replaced by the Dutch coach Wim Jansen, ironically a member of the Feyenoord side which defeated Celtic in the European Cup final in Milan in 1970. In 1997 he guides Celtic to the first League Cup final victory in 15 years in a 3-0 defeat of Dundee United at Ibrox Park, a competition sponsored by Coca-Cola.

Jansen continues the good work by steering Celtic to the first Scottish League championship since 1988, and preventing Rangers from surpassing Celtic's cherished Nine-in-a Row record. However, he departs almost immediately and is replaced for the start of the new campaign by Dr Jozef Venglos, a coach of vast international experience, most notably as manager of Czechoslovakia.

In April, Fergus McCann departs at the completion of his five-year stint. Allan MacDonald, a former British Aerospace managing director, succeeds him as chief executive. A few months later Dr Venglos retires and is replaced by John Barnes, the former England internationalist who was undertaking his first appointment as a head coach, although under the supervision of famous ex-Celt Kenny Dalglish, recently installed as director of football operations.

A shock 3-1 defeat at Celtic Park in the Scottish Cup by rank outsiders Inverness Caledonian Thistle in February leads to the departure of John Barnes, with Kenny Dalglish taking control of team matters until the end of the season. Celtic end up the 1999/2000 season as runners-up to Rangers in the championship, but a massive 21 points behind. The gloom is lifted slightly by a 2-0 victory over Aberdeen in the League Cup final, a competition now sponsored by the Co-operative Insurance Society.
    During the summer Martin O'Neill takes over as Celtic's manager - and will soon be in full control of the football operations following the departure of Kenny Dalglish. O'Neill, an Irishman, has established an excellent reputation as a manager with a chain of clubs in England, notably Leicester City. He endears himself to the Celtic support by masterminding an astonishing 6-2 league victory over Rangers at Celtic Park on August 27, a promising omen for his and Celtic's future.

Celtic record a back to back series of victories over Rangers in February (semi final of the League Cup at Hampden and a league encounter at Celtic Park). In March, Celtic lift the first silverware of the season, retaining the League Cup after a 3-0 victory over Kilmarnock which included a Henrik Larsson hat-trick.

By the end of April, Celtic have regained the League Championship with five games to go and beat Rangers away from home in the league for the first time in six years; whilst top scorer Henrik Larsson has recorded his 50th strike of the season. By the end of the season, Larsson goes on to record 53 strikes on the way to a domestic treble of League Championship, Scottish Cup (a 3-0 win against Hibernian in the final) and CIS Cup (a 3-0 win against Kilmarnock in the final.

13. HH

Welcome to the site. Chrissy LFC!

Good result in the CL though SG was lucky yp be on the pitch after he went a bit crazy with his studs.

I had a wee feeling today that Davie Moyes was goona get yous'!

Better luck next time. ;-)

14. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

Good game though. You could have scored a few today but just wasn't your day. Don't mean to rub it in, but Everton in 2nd place?! Who would have thought it?

15. Dubsbhoy Banned!

everton are having a class season should get team of the year, after losing rooney there better than ever.

16. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

Never thought about that. They actually have done amazing well since Rooney has left.

17. Stephen

i have a mate who is a scouser, all i say to him is....

UEFA CUP 02/03
    hartson with the ball, john hartson lines up the shot........ JOHN HARTSON WITH THE GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :62: :84: :party:

18. mckorn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    My older brother is a Liverpool fan and I'm also still joking about the these two games on the road to Seville ( with Henka strike by his knee between our Jerry Dudek legs...). And guess what I got for him for Xmas? A scarf from that games... :celtman2:

19. i p155ed chrissy off about that for ages! lol. everyone supports liverpool at our school!