1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this when the pendulum of power swings back?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Jun 9, 2009.

Discuss Is this when the pendulum of power swings back? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Does anyone else think that our position as the dominant force in Scottish football is under threat now that we failed to win 4 in a row? The scum now have their £10million lifeline from guaranteed CL participation and although they're still going to be in debt, they have had the best possible outcome from last season. They're under less pressure to sell their best players and could possibly strengthen now. If they build on this and we fail to invest in our own team, then I fear that the power may shift back to the other side of Glasgow.

Would it be too far to say that making the correct managerial appointment and winning the league is crucial now? I know they can't outspend us any more and that it's going to result in a tighter two horse race for the next few seasons, but since MON took over, we've been the more dominant force. Does anyone share my fears that they are going to become dominant once again or am I just over panicking?

2. Shifty917

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Scott Brown, Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I thin the board are taking there time in picking a manager due to this fact!

3. HunSkelper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    No, the huns are still in £27million debt and have to sell in the summer, we will have a new manager who likes to play football and will sign some quality in the summer and win the SPL next year. IF the huns win 4IAR then they will be debt free.

4. jacqui67

Fav Celtic Player:
    neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    NO!!! It will be tight but the only reason they had been the dominent force before is because they had the money to out spend us, a fact that is not likley to happen again. They spent a tenner for every fiver we spent now "their up to their knees" IN DEBT :50:

5. hoopsforever

6. Lazycame

Fav Celtic Player:
    McManus
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    It's so finely balanced your fears are justified. This crucial appointment and the next few months will make it clearer.

7. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    No the only thing I worry about the huns is that they continue their anti-football tactics against us in every old firm game, they have no class and are happy to win by sneaking a goal and defending for the rest of the game.

We are miles ahead of them in terms of individual quality and Watty knows this that is why his teams always run down the clock and play for draws. We need a couple of quality signings that can strengthen the weakest parts of the team, if we do that then we will be miles ahead of any other team in the SPL.

8. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    :50: :rolleyes: what he/she said :rolleyes: :50:

cant really add to what cat123 said

9. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    What worries me is, the financial pendulum was so far in our favour, yet they still won the league. The board must take a lot of responsibility for that.

Another worry is, going by some reports, Strachan was always going to leave and said so a while back, yet we are struggling to get a new man in. A sign of us once again going for the cheapest option? I fear we are.

Rangers may well be in debt up to their eyes for the forseeable future, but it's their fans walking about smiling this summer.

10. BeggsY

Fav Celtic Player:
    BORUC
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Holy Goalie
    The days of Rangers dominating is over for the foreseeable future, The futures bright the futures green and white.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Potentially there could be a swing just now, they are the champions and at this very second in time will be happy with their lot.

I still think it's an enjoyable time to be a Celtic fan though, the idea of a change in style of play and personnel is exciting to me personally.

12. celticmad117

Fav Celtic Player:
    The holy goalie, arthur boruc
    Only problem i see is the board not gonna take advantage of our superior financial position. Would be the way they could get back into a level playing field
    The fact we might not even spend a couple of million on the manager the board want kinda says their being cheap

13. wulliebad

It depends on how badly our board * up,or if our board acts wisely and gets the right man in place and spends some money to help the team out as imo it badly needs it this year.
    They dont have to spend huge amounts but we do need to freshen things up at celtic.
    It could really go both ways imo.

14. jaseybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mc Geady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.

It sure is mate.:50:

15. SlutHumper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Niall McGinn
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    no, altho i do feel we missed a golden opportunity to put them right in the grubber

16. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm not enjoying it mate.

We've just lost the league to a pish Rangers team, whilst playing pish football ourselves because of pish signings from a pish poor budget.

If that's enjoying it, * help us when things go bad.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Aye losing the league to them is the ball buster. It's the fact it now feels as if we've got a clean slate that is the most promising thing for me though. It appears on the face of it as if it'll be a summer of getting a new manager in and a few new faces whilst they sell their best players.

Can't enjoy the season just past but can hopefully look to what there is to come.

18. kennydal

It depends on how much ambition the money men have for the new manager ,theres no doubt that the present team needs changing ,if they release a few bob and the manager buys wisely i dont see any problems ,if theres not a lot to spend to freshen up and more or less go with the same team as last season ,i would worry .

19. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    boruc/mcgregor
    hinkel..caldwell/papac..bogherra
    brown..mcgeady/mendes..davis
    skippy/boyd

mybe ahead,but dont think its miles when you look at both teams core players at the minute.we should have won the league last season,and the mixture of them selling their core players and us strengthing ours,we should have blew them out of the water.

20. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    Yes but I would say that we have much more quality in our squad, it will be very interesting next season when one of their core players get injured.

Also our team is much younger than theirs, which means we'll only get better.

We are definately weaker up front, but that is about it.