1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Team for next season ...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Rossenspeil, May 24, 2009.

Discuss Team for next season ... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Too much talk of the manger for me here guys and not enough of the players gettin their * kicked.Its over now so lets look ahead and lets say you have control of the team for the future?

My thoughts:

For me we have two great goalkeepers for next year with Boruc and now Zaluska coming in.

Big Mick hasnt had a good year and maybe Loovens deserves a run in defence with Caldwell as the captain. Its almost gone unnoticed but I thnk that partnership has been the bright spot in the last few games.

Naylor is pish and must be replaced, O'Dea has done not too bad and Misun looks good in the reserves, but somebody has to be brought in, its been a problem for over a year.

Hinkel has won me right over this year, I think he's been * brilliant and shoulda got a mention when player of the year time came around. Bombs forward and crunches into tackles. Wilson is a decent back up if he can stay fit.

Middle of the pitch is where I might get controversial, I think Brown is getting ridiculously over-hyped and has one good game then 2 pish ones. He charges up and down the pitch like a loony but very rarely has an end product and usually hits it too far ahead of him or fouls someone. Id sell him in a heartbeat with a decent offer.

Hartley is a donkey and can * off, end of story.

Crosas is a star in the making. He's had a couple of ropey games but remember Petrovs first season? He is the guy we should be building our team around.

Robson is a good guy to have around for back up and may even be worth a run at left back? He links up well with Aiden.

McCourt and Mizuno should get more of a chance this year with Naka going. These are the kinda guys people like to watch and its frustrated me this year they havent been given more of a chance.

Aiden has had a stop start season but he carries the entire creative burden of our team on his shoulders. He'll be back better and stronger next year and hopefully wee Shaun will stay fit, he's a smashing player.

JVOH? cheery-*-o :bbpd: Honestly, he's a nice big guy but what is he contributing? What use is a target man that cant * jump?

Samaras frustrates me because he looked good when he came in and started the season brilliant. The head went down after Aalborg and he's been pish ever since. Should be moved on.

Both of these guys should have been dropped ages ago and Hutchinson shoulda got a chance. He must get a run next season. He would score a shitload of goals and mark my words, if we let him go, he'll score goals somewhere else.

Skippy has been feeding off scraps from the afore mentioned clowns and deserves credit for his contribution in those circumstances. He's a great wee player.

We need to buy a creative / goalscoring midfielder, a left back and a quick striker.

We dont have anyone who can play a lone striking role in Europe and havent had one for years.

All thoughts and opinions welcome :50:

2. paulmitchell

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown, Crosas, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I agree with most of what youve said mate.

My starting 11 with gaps where i think we need replacements would be...

Boruc
    Hinkel Caldwell Loovens ???
    ??? Brown ???/Crosas McGeady
    McDonald ???

Subs: Zaluska, O'Dea, Robson, Maloney, ???, ???, ???

We have a few good players ready to come through that should be given alot more 1st team opportunities like Mizuno, McCourt and Hutchinson.
    I'd like to see the back of players like Mick, Hartley, Jan and Sammy. Others like Wilson would be good back up like you said Ross.

For me the main objective for the summer is getting in a LB, a capable replacement for Naka and at least 2 strikers that are better than what we have.
    Id also take a CB if we could find a better partner for Heid.

The team needs rebuilt with or without wgs.

3. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I agree with alot of what you are saying but I would get Skippy to * aswell. Brown I would only sell if the offer was over 8 million, yes he has rough edges but he will only get better and he has a good attitude for the game.

4. Connolly08

I agree with everything you said.

Samaras - Looked good but has a touch like an elephant - cheerio
    VOH - Too slow barely touches the ball
    Aiden - i dunno he had a pish season i have to say but a good wee player
    Crosas - He's alright nothing brilliant lets be honest
    Macdonald - He's big time * off, he done as best as he could but lets be honest he played with 2 numptys all season.
    Boruc - He should concentrate more on his game and not on wether he's getting his hole or not.
    zaluska - what a load of pish he was today
    Mcourt - give him a chance not seing much of him, Heard he was amazing against rangers in the reserves title clincher
    Mizuno - Looked decent needs a few 1st team games

As for that arrogant wee ginger munter he can take a hike. He cant even explain himself to those who have stuck by him.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2009
  5. MusselburghBhoy Gimme danger, little stranger

Fav Celtic Player:
    Momo Sylla

hear hear, great post

6. tic for life

i think we,re 5 good players short honestly 2 centre halfs,left back,centremid and a striker what do all of you think:rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I would say a CB, LB, 2 Creative Midfielders and three different types of strikers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
  8. celticfc482

i think we need an overhaul now, it wont happen we dont have tons of money but what we can do we have to,

hartley
    naylor
    M.brown
    JVOH
    donati
    bunch of reserves

all out

Experianced CB and LB
    Good fast forward think goalscoring Midfielder
    Creative Midfielder
    Winger
    Few Strikers

That is what we need

PS. Is there a reserve leauge next season or is it scrapped now?

9. T.D.

Fav Celtic Player:
    JOHN REID OUT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LET THE PEOPLE SING!!!
    the reserve league is still on next season

10. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

We need changes in the team, but the main thing is a change in style. We need to play differently, we have the best squad - so why haven't we won the league?

A different manager could do things with this club, we need to act this summer though.

OUT
    M. Brown, Balde, Naylor, Doumbe, Hartley, Donati, Nakamura, Samaras, Hesselink, Killen.

They can all leave, no bother. We might not get a lot of money for them, but think of the wages they will free up.

The players left are decent enough, some will be first-teamers and some will be back-ups.

The investment in the summer needs to be on first-team players. A left-back is a must. A centre-midfielder and two strikers are needed as well.

The big thing is a new manager though. I dont think he is the man for Celtic, the style of play shows that.

11. conorbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    more or less a whole new squad, seriously.

caldwell has been brilliant, but would you say he was better than mjallby, valgaeren, bobo, boyd, rieper, stubbs?????

brown to be honest was a better player when at hibs, i personally don't see how he was POTY.

mcgeady has a long long way to go.

maloney is just not good enough.

crosas is still very young, he's just not old enough yet to make much of an impact.

i could go on all night and the only great player we have is boruc, but if he doesn't get his personal life sorted then we're *.

12. Joe.1888

likes of ryan conroy, milan misun and luca santoncito coming through for left back - yes i would still buy a good experienced left back but i think our main focus has got to be a quick strong proven goalscorer....honeslty we must splash out on this as i feel we can get a good defender cheaper than a stiker - we cant put them in the same price tag !

13. BrianQuinn

Fav Celtic Player:
    None
    Got to disagree with you here , Caldwell is not far off any of the players you have mentioned there apart from mjallby who was a class act.

Brown has become a better player since he joined from hibs. Just needs to brush up on his passing .

McGeady has already shown what he has got last year. Obviously this year he hasn't performed the same for certain reasons.

Maloney is a great player IMO and given a run of games without injuries he will prove to be an important player next season.

Crosas is 21 , he's not exactly a youngster anymore and has already made a decent impact this season , albeit his performances have faded away in recent weeks.

The above players are the players we have to build the team around , maybe add hinkel and mcdonald to that list. I reckon we are 4 quality players off a good team.

14. pauly bhoy

I must be watching a different Mcdonald to everyone else.He cant control the ball,dosent know the offside rule,missed a couple of sitters last week and this week,cant say I have ever seen him set any one else up,has the same goals to games ratio as Samaras.I dont know why he escapes the flack.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Rossenspiel, I agree with your thoughts on the players. But if a decent enough offer came in for McManus, I would sell him.

16. gary mcguire

Fav Celtic Song:
    willy maley. YNWA, the celtic song and athenry
    probably cos hes a celtic fan, totally agree with everything mate. hasnt he played a lot more games than sammy?

17. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    Totally agree m8, he is *.

18. pauly bhoy

The stats were in the program today,cant remember the games but Mcdonald has 20 goals to samaras 16.to late at night to do the sums but they were both at 0.44 games per goal

19. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Goalkeepers-we have two very good ones in Boruc and Zaluška, they should compete for the first team spot. We're secure here.

Defense.
    Centre backs-all are good when fully fit. The benefit of a new manager coming would be shifting to man marking, which we're better suited to. Our captain should be Caldwell, as he is our best CB.

Left back... Naylor has to go. Mišun and O'Dea can help here, but one of them is a converted CB, and we need a natural LB here. Kim Dong-Jin, Escude, Mulgrew, Pogatetz come to mind.

Right back-we're secure here, with a very good Hinkel this season. Hopefully Wilson will be a good backup. One of our stronger positions.

Midfield...
    S. Brown-I know why the complaints, Rossenspeil. It all comes from thinking he has a lot of attacking capabilities. The sooner we stop believing this, we've got a very good DM that could be our new Lennon. Scott can't dish out wonder passes, can't shoot from distance that well, but he can destroy opposition gameplan well.

Hartley-he may be old and slow, yes, but he gives his heart out there, unlike some *... He was one of our better players in the last few games.

Crosas needs a steady flow of games to develop his passing game, and become a fearsome midfielder that will bang in some long-range missiles, as well. A promising hope.

Flood-a bad buy. Hasn't been able to push anyone out of the first team. What are his strengths, anyway?

Robson-shame about the injury. Has a lot of grit, and determination, but can pass relatively well. He should play LM, as we've got no other left-footed flank men.

McGeady is a talent ruined by personality. Football is a team game, and when a player constantly tries to dribble through the whole defense and finish on his own, it doesn't help. And Aiden is a poor finisher. He's poor at crossing, with his left foot anyway, but he almost always plays on that side. If a good offer comes in, bye, son.:bbpd:

Maloney has what Aiden hasn't got. Teamwork, decent pass and a shot. Simply, a much better solution on the flank. And he could be a tutor to the younger wingers at the club.

Mizuno-a better, much better Aiden right there. Is not slower than Aiden, can control the ball well, but, the main difference is that he is a team player. He can and will pass to a teammate in a good position. A terrific crosser with both feet, and an able set pieces taker, this young man might be the key to our success next season, now that the Sorcerer from Yokohama is gone.

McCourt-supposedly skins people for fun in the Reserves. I haven't seen much of him, and I want to see him in several consecutive games. Looks very promising...

Strikers, dear strikers...
    McDonald is our best currently, though, not without flaws. He hasn't mastered ball control, he still sometimes misses sitters, and his impulsive behavior causes a lot of cards. Still, he's a good striker and has excellent work rate, so, we must hang on to him.

Samaras-they guy was a defense destroyer prior to his injury, but after...:38: Greedy a lot of times, can't control the ball, and he isn't imposing in the air, either. Has to go.

Jan is a nice man, but the injuries killed his usefulness. Immobile, and doesn't dominate airspace either. I love the man, but...
    We need a quality target man like Janko or Pavljučenko, and someone faster and with good ball control to threaten Skippy. Team spirit is also a factor in the search. My ideas:park Chu Young, Forssell, Nelson Haedo Valdez...

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We need a left back, a creative midfielder and 2 strikers. We also need to bin Mick in my opinion, he isn't good enough. Through a season, fair enough, you don't want to rock the boat but now is the time for freshening up something that has became extremely stale and worst of all completely impotent.