1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is WGS being judged fairly

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by gunt, May 18, 2009.

Discuss Is WGS being judged fairly in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. gunt

Between 5 and 7 years ago we lost the league twice in three years to poor Rangers sides on the last day. So what is the difference now when we MIGHT lose one in four on the last day to a poor Rangers side? Really, there is no difference. Why the contrast between fan attitude now and then?

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

A lot of things said the past couple of days have been fuelled by anger, which is understandable. I do agree with you though there's folk waiting to jump on him as soon as there's a bump in the road.

Hopefully by the weekend it'll have simmered to a riot and we can set about winning this thing.

3. Benedicto

What are you judging him on?

Trophies won?
    Level of performance?
    Success in the transfer market?
    Rapport with the fans?
    Attitude?
    Europe?
    Catastrophic results? (Artmedia, Clyde, St. Mirren)

I think you know that Strachan is not being judged purely on the amount of times we have won the leauge.

4. Dirk_Diggler

The difference is the football we are producing is a total mess!!! Its his signings so he should be judged we all pay money towards our club so we have a right to judge and if the teams not performing they get critised!!!

Although he has won trophies it has been against the poorest of rangers teams and i would love us to get some 1 else in to bring back FAST ATTACKING FOOTBALL!!!!

AND GET RID OF THE BORING,SLOW BUILD UP PISH WE HAVE WITNESSED FOR THE LAST FEW SEASONS!!! NO PACE WHAT SO EVER IN THE TEAM!!! every 1,s starting to get fed right up with it!!!

Zonal marking is * garbage as well !!!!!!!!!!

5. hoops88

the difference for me is football on display 5 and 7 years ago we were playing good exciting football last 2 years we have been playing dire boring football cant remember the last time i came away from the game and the conversations on our bus was about how well so and so played or what a good team performance today. were all up for it before the game by the time we get back on bus after game its depressing even after we win,their is just no excitment no high tempo very few good passing moves in the displays to get the crowd right up for the games

6. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Totally agree with you Gunt:50: WGS has been a fine Celtic manager and that will always be my thoughts win or lose the title on Sunday. The money men have everything to answer for.

By the way, liking the SOS Hammer:50:

7. gunt

well the 2 that matter most are trophies one and Europe and WGS has until now excelled all since Stein.

MON also had similar shock cup results. It seems to be the price that is paid for winning the league and having a lot of games in Europe.

Compare WGS with MON AFTER his big first year spend. MON did far worse on the small money than WGS. He didnt unearth is any Naka or Arturs for peanuts.

Level of performance. The most suicide provoking football bar none I have seen since before Tommy Burns day was the tail end MON team. When WGS took over the remanants of his team and added some new first picks like Naka, Artur and Maloney we were far easier to watch and we slaughtered the poor Rangers team we had failed to the year before.

Attitude? By all accounts WGS is a blood sweat and tears guy for the club whereas MON was rarely at training and is well known for not scouting etc.

Rapport? I dont know. I think this issue says more about some of our fans than WGS. I think MON was just a slick presentation sort of guy. He went to a selective grammer school, university and is a trained lawyer so he has a silver tongue. Fans wanted to believe he is some sort of die in the wool Celt but the true is he was not a Celtic fan growing up. WGS is for me more a what you see is what you get guy, brought up on one of the roughest estates in Scotland. A bit mad but he is widely loved everywhere but Celtic Park. I can remember clearly that before a ball was kicked many were willing him to fail and continued to do so for years which, considering he is the most successful Celtic manager since BJ, I think is a huge black stain on us.

8. Dirk_Diggler

Our last great display was probly against benfica:50:

9. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

I think there are a lot of black or white opinions. to some he is godlike, can't do anything wrong, no mistakes or errors, everything is perfect. to others he is to blame for everything, not worth the job, not celtic minded, ginger haired etc.

I think he has done a good job (obviously with 3 titles). although I haven't been able to enjoy our football most of the times recently, because it's just dire (but also effective). I don't really know his opinions on us celtic fans, because I don't understand most of his interviews anyway, but I couldn't say he comes across as a *.
    He is far from perfect, like everyone else, and there are some major howlers, but as I said, at the end of the say he brought us titles.

I also believe he's currently getting a lot of the stick he ain't responsible for (our board having so * long pockets and short arms) etc which is unfair

10. Tycho

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ľubomír Moravčík
    2 away wins in 2009. Aye, I'm judging him fairly.

11. Markybhoy

I have stated on another thread that if we don't win this League the board will have to take their share of the blame for our failure. That is undoubtedly the case. However, even though we haven't strengthened the team as much as we should we still have the best squad of players in Scotland. If we have the best squad of players and don't win the League then who is to blame for that? If we don't win this League Gordon Strachan is culpable too. It's not ALL the board's fault.

12. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Great Post:50: All very true, especially the bit where MoN couldn't beat the same "terrible" Rangers team that WGS wiped the floor with.

13. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

I'm for saying that the team/club who wins the League, have the best squad that was equipped for the season. Simple as that. There was nothing between the two last season and then Rangers bought 8 or 9 players to feature in their first team where we bought Crosas, Loovens and Maloney.

Our biggest weakness as I keep banging on was in the forward department. Now, WGS did try to strenghen here in Jan after realising how poor VoH and Samaras were only to be told NO. For me, Rangers have been stronger in this area all season with plenty of choices for all fixtures where we've only had 3 for the majority.

14. jcwelsh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobo Balde
    Fav Celtic Song:
    WILLIE MALEY
    I think there are a lot of people that are not getting the the reason this thread has been started. Why did we forgive MON for 2 f**k ups and we won't give WGS even 1.

I read it and smiled because I thought gunt had a fair point. I want to get rid of WGS after 1 f**k up( if it does happen) because even though we lost the league on both those last days I still felt as much as I was * off, we still had a better team then Rangers mad as it may seem. Just now though up until the game at Ibrox I was under the illusion that we still had the best team. My instincts tell me now that I think the pendulum is swinging in the opposite direction and only wining the league this year or a new manager will change it.

15. DanniGhirl

Some people don't judge him fairly, but others do consider all aspects of his tenure when judging him, I don't think it's as simple as a yes or no answer.

IMO the constant comparisons to MON's team is unfair due to the difference in wages (and thus quality) both could pursue.

GS has made some serious errors of judgement, and the football has on many occasions been dire to say the least but we have been successful.

Personally, I didn't want GS from the start and criticised him at every opportunity (many times harshly) and although his interviews continue to annoy me he did win me round in his first season.

I now find myself criticising him once more, although this time I think it's more reasoned - his tactics/choice of substitutions/ lines up have baffled most of us at times.

As long as he's manager then I'll continue to support him but I do think he has taken us as far as he can, and although I realise a new manager would be under the same financial constraints as GS I think someone else might be able to get more out of our squad.

16. Markybhoy

I agree that the board should have gone the extra mile to get the Fletcher deal done. Leaving it to the last minute(that's how it seemed) and then not pulling the trigger on that deal was negligent.

17. WEEMAN7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul mcstay, Henrik larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf clover, Willie Maley
    Once we iron out the creases in the team, start scoring goals & play with a little bit of flair everyone will be best buddies again. In no way shape or form does Gordon Strachan deserve to get dumped as celtic boss, he has got every right to walk away with fond memories of a success driven club. I just hope he gets the funds to add to the first team & let our youngsters develope & maybe just maybe he'll start to get bit of credit for some good title wins.

18. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    I am afraid I have to differ. Martin oneill unearthed Danbobo balde for zilch, and he was great under oneill. He also unearthed Didier Agathe, who was the best right back I have seen play for Celtic. That arguement doesnt stand up for me mate tbh

19. celticnumba1fan

it's a weird question, and a difficult one to answer imo, i cant be botherd going into loads of detail but all in all, i think he is

20. k3vbain

i may be wrong here but if memory serves me right then these two players were apparently on o'neils wish list before he left

success through fluke, and dire rangers teams, dire football, zonal marking that does not work, unept in tactics, bearing in mind this is also a manager that still has not won away in champions league yet, never gives other players a chance, team with limited skil no pace, 4 years of total cack