1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Its Not Strachan Fault

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by aaastiff, May 17, 2009.

Discuss Its Not Strachan Fault in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Everyone keeps going on about whose fault it is but we're forgetting Hibs made it as hard as they could to stop us from winning. Yes some people didn't perform but it didn't help that they were going up against an 11 man defence for most of the game. We can't win them all and no I'm not pleased that they didn't play as well as they could have but hey we still have a chance.

2. T.D.

Fav Celtic Player:
    JOHN REID OUT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LET THE PEOPLE SING!!!
    A good manager would change tactics

Everyone and their mother knows strachan plays 4-4-2. pass it to mcgeady run down the wings or longballs.

3. Benedicto

I don't think people are looking for scapegoats based on one game alone - this isn't just about today, it's about the whole season.

As for Hibs making it as hard as they could for us - we're talking about Hibs FFS. You talk as if they are Liverpool or Chelsea.

There was no difference in approach today, we had no guile, no invention - just the same old, same old *. We would've struggled to beat ICT, St. Mirren or Falkirk today because we simply don't have it anymore. Nothing to do with how difficult Hibs made it for us.

4. skyetim

Look at our results since the turn of the year -diasterous. WGS is NOT a motivator - no need for speeches". HA * HA! His time is up -there'll been huge empty spaces at CP if he continues -* forbid. This team is * and has been for a LONG time - full of over paid, over rated garbage.

5. WEEMAN7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul mcstay, Henrik larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf clover, Willie Maley
    Our squad has 4 good players TOPS! Yes the gaffer has to shoulder some of the blame for our shortcomings this season, as well as the players. Surely to * your not surprised at the position we're in? Because i'm not! Every so often we get a team that out plays the spl & has the drive to win every game, right now we're an average team! The sooner supporters realise this the better. Until we get better players we will stay at this level & just compete with the huns to scrape the league!

6. Craigie Bhoy

also the way he just stands leaning against the dugout for the best part of the 90 minutes as if its a pre season friendly :47: no urgency shown whatsoever!

also read this! SPL: Strachan on Brown injury | Setanta

"but we put Nakamura [Shunsuke] into the centre of midfield and he was just absolutely outstanding."

"I got some great performances today [Sunday] and you can’t go into a dressing room afterwards to shout at them." *!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  7. Benedicto

Every statement Strachan makes, is like twisting a knife right into my heart more and more. I am convinced he takes perverse pleasure out of it.

No-one could be so relaxed about throwing a league away. No-one. I think he's flipped to be honest.

8. skyetim

He's always been an arrogant litle * - from his playing days until now. Maybe he knows we'll win the league? Got to go, Elvis had just come in for a cup of tea.

9. Benedicto

That's no even funny considering the wee * signed him a few years ago.

10. gunt

i agree with most of thar but magic had lost ir. I hate the way everything is bad when things go wrong. WGS assembled a good squad but with a few weaknesses - LB, LCB and striker. We and WGS have known that for maybe 2 years, The LCB may be solved now. LB and striker are the hardest to sort. Good attacking LBs are very rare and expensive and you wont get near a quality one with English clubs sniffing for less than 4 million and/or paying 40,000 a game. The board wont sanction that. Take Brown out of the equation and you will see the average WGS player costs about 1 or maybe 1.5 million (many were bosmans too), sweetie money to English clubs.

You dont rumage around at that end of the market if you are not being forced to be being drip-fed small money every year. Board policy means we cannot do a lot better than our present first 11 without great luck and we are lucky to havethe gifted players we have now on out books because we sure as * couldnt afford an Artur, Naka, Aidan, Gary or Maloney (or Brown now his stock has raised) on the open market in normal circumstance because their will be an English club willing to pay a handful of millions. Even Skippy for all his flaws would now cost more than we would pay for him.

Some fans need to get their thick skulls sorted.

1. Only in MON first year in charge has a Celtic manager EVER been given the sort of money in one lump where he could go out and buy a handful of good EPL players or players EPL teams would also like. Since that team peaked about 3 years into MONs reign we have been in decline in terms of spending. It effected MON after the first 3 years and it has been a spectre all of WGS's years.

Yes we have healthy finances and Rangers finaces are dire but they still outspent us on players this year so it means nothing. DO you seriously think WGS was happy with that or chose that? What seems to have happened is we wouldnt pay the going rate for wages for the players that were targeted so failed in the last windows. Not WGS's fault.

2. Only one Celtic manager has ever won 4in a row. What is so special that WGS has to or be fired for not doing so even though he is working in very difficult times? He has been worse financed than Rangers this year. DOnt remember MON getting this when he failed at 3 in a row then lost again in his 5th season. Celtic fans should not be glory hunters who go into a strop when one in four MIGHT be lost.

3. The nonesense that this is the worst Rangers team you have seen. Rangers got through many tough ties (i.e. not a fluke) to get to the UEFA less than a year ago and got into the knockout stages of the CL for the only time in their history just before too. They may be the ugliest football Rangers team but they are far from the most ineffective. DO not forget The Eck sides that beat MON twice were every bit as poor.

A fairer comparison with the WGS era would be the pre-Souness Celtic managers of the 1978-86 period when neither of the OF spent much money, couldnt compete with English teams and our gap between the OF got narrow.

Blame the board not WGS

11. gunt

Do you really want a hot head hysterical manager who acts like a fan? Seriously, every thing he said was true.

12. gunt

and while you are at it * thon specky * O'Neill for only getting 2 in a row and losing the league twice to * Rangers teams,

Mind you do I remember a double standard? Did MON remain popular? Was there a lack of cries for MON out?

13. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Like always I agree with everything Grunt but what you said in the opening sentence says it all for me as far and the relationship between the board and manager are concerned. It was so obvious how much we needed a reliable striker. Kenny Miller is better than what we have.

14. conorbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    what really angered me was when he used the word patience. why in the * were the team told to be patient. get * at them. patient play has really killed us as a team to fear.

15. Tim{e}4ten

Fav Celtic Player:
    ever--john collins
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover
    we feilded a side with 9 full international players today,,not many teams apart from the best in europe can afford that luxury,,lack of cash is not the problem its a feeble excuse...poor tactics is our problem,,this is the reason we are playing bad football,,nothing more nothing less..

16. Benedicto

I am not sure why - but if there is an argument about out current manager, some people need to make reference to a previous one. I suppose it's a bit like answering a question with another question. It deflects away from the original question and actually answers nothing.

I am not sure what Martin O'Neill has to do with the current group of players - although I can safely say this - he would have them playing a whole lot better and I genuinely believe that.

17. gunt

Nail on head - its player quality this is all about and IMO within the bounds of realism the quality issue is only about a couple of positions - LB and both striker spots. The quality issue is down to money. We cant compete with English teams and we have most of the best SPL players already. We just will not spend the money to step into the bigger market. The difference between a 1 or 2 million quid player and a 300,000 one is not that great and except the odd fluke you need to be looking at spending 4 million minimum for a good player that agents will also try to get English teams interested in (which they always will do). Other than Broony, Celtic players are mainly in the 1-2 million bracet, well short of the required spending for quality. Blame the board.

18. conorbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    MON lost a league title with 97 points. if we're to win this it would be with 84. take from that whatever the * way you want.

19. gunt

You cant very well not mention the staggering difference in fan attitude to them which does not correspond to their relative success rates.

20. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    i tell you what the whole problem is we are too easy to blok out and play against - to easy to stifle - we got no speed up top so sides will play higher up the park and press us - as you see today this has meant the full baks are the ones that end up with it in the positions to swing balls in rather than the wingers - unfortunately our left ful bak got the ball in the best positions today and he happens to be the worst regular starter i seen in all my days - we got no speed no agility up top and there are a few seriously weak links ala naylor and jan or sammy that ruin the whole machine working - breaks down when it gets to these * poor players - add 3 new players to that side and we would walk the league ( a quik agile striker - a left bak - and a better holding player )