1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Strachan - Come the summer, stick or twist ?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Martin, May 10, 2009.

Discuss Strachan - Come the summer, stick or twist ? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Nice

Fav Celtic Song:
    Always look on the brightside of life
    And they have delivered in the most part. The league isn't over yet and it may still be 4iar, then what do we say?

2. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    :56: This might help the manager out lol.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Why?

Who would you want to replace him?

Do you think his replacement would do better, worse or equal to what Strachan has achieved?

4. ladbroke8

It should heve been 4IAR a long time ago, we are behind because of our own mistakes, not 1 or 2 but several week in week out. The way we played against St. Mirren when we scored 7 was how it should be, players not afraid o make runs, shoot expess themselves. However that only lasted one game and it was back to normal.

The players have been dissapointing for most of the season and WGS didnt have any faith in his summer signings to give them a real go in the team.

5. Ryan 67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc, Broony, Skippy, Heid, Lennon, Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS, Celtic Symphony and Sean South
    Why ? Our playing style is horrible to watch and we've struggled for a long while now. His constant tinkering with the team is very frustrating. We've only won 2 away games this year and are behind a Rangers team in the league that have Christain Dailly and Davie Weir in defence. They are on their knees financially and the winning of 4IAR would have * them up big time. But thanks to our performances this season and our failure to hold a 7 point lead over them(twice), the initiative is back with them in regards to the winning of the title. We may still win 4IAR but even then I'd like him to go as I feel we need some fresh ideas.

Who would you want replace him ? Levein or Mowbray would be a good shout imo. Love to see Moyes but that's a long shot.

Do you think his replacement would do better, worse or equal to what Strachan has achieved? Impossible to tell but a set of fresh ideas may well take the club forward and we may start to play a bit better football rather than the dross we need to watch every week under Strachan.

I actually used to be a big Strachan fan but performances this season have made we lose patience him.

6. DanniGhirl

I'm pretty stuck on this one.

I don't think it's fair to sack a manager that has won 3 (possibly 4) titles on the trot, if we get a new manager in they won't get that much money either so will have to work with mainly the same squad as present. The new man might not fancy half those players, but due to lack of financial support will have to play players he does not rate.

On the other hand, we are playing worse after 4 seasons of Strachan building a team than we were in his first couple of seasons. There is no denying his success in reducing the average age of the squad, working within tight budgets and still bringing success to the club, but I just can't see us improving under him, I think he has taken us as far as he can. Some of his decisions and tactics are completely puzzling and that's what annoys me most.

I voted go whether we win or lose, but I think I should qualify that, as I want him to decide to go but if he thinks he can change things next season and wants to stay I don't think he should be sacked, it's previous success entitles him to another year.

I realise that that's sitting on the fence but I just can't call for a manager that has brought success to be sacked.

7. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    3 titles out of 4 is still better than MoN and of course everyone's favourite stat of last 16 of the CL x2 earn him the right for at least another season.

If he were given some cash last season then we would have scooshed the league this year and we would have made the UEFA Cup stages after our CL exit. In other words, we'd have made back the money that was spent.

8. Venu Al

Fav Celtic Player:
    all
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the fields of athenrye
    time to change, i have always backed wgs but if we lose the league it will be to the worst hun team in an age, its disgraceful we havent got it wrapped up already. i now think its time to go even if we manage to win it

9. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    well this manager bought those players, imo hes got to go win or loose the league

10. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    no he needs to stay its his projekt he has bought the young players he wants a few years to let this side grow and we should let it happen - win or lose the league we are in far better shape than the huns

look at wenger fergie they all get unluky seasons

11. paulmitchell

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown, Crosas, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Alot of people are saying keep Strachan and give him more money. What has he done with money he has been given that would warrant him getting more?

12. Martin

You make a fair point here mate.

13. Mr Nice

Fav Celtic Song:
    Always look on the brightside of life
    Why should it have been 4 in a row by now? The winners of the league is over a full season, and there is still 3 games to go. We have no divine right to win * all, its based upon the players performances and they have been found out to be over-paid, average players with the exception of a few.

Strachan has been solid since he came to us, even in the face of fans hating him he came through with the goods while doing the boards dirty work, bringing the wage bill down. He may not be everyones cup of tea but his record speaks for itself. I wouldn't gamble on another manager, WGS deserves to keep his job IMO

14. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Good post there:50:

15. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley, Four Leaf Clover

No.

No.

16. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If he wins this title, he should stay. If not...:bbpd:

17. Martin

You genuinely think that this season we are improving ?

You don't think beating a team 7-0 and then losing to them one week later signifies a problem with motivation ?

18. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

it reminds me of a long relationship in it's dying last weeks. sometimes fresh blood is required.

19. gary b

I dont expect us to win the league every year until the end of time.What is galling is the way we have consistently handed them a lifeline at every opportunity.Yesterday's game shouldnt have been a must win for us,we should have been going there with a comfortable cushion,and then the pressures all on them.

We might still win the league,but we shouldnt be depending on other teams to do us a favour.It will be humiliating to lose this league to them.

20. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley, Four Leaf Clover

I don't think we've improved significantly, but neither do I think we've slid back alarmingly as you seem to think.

I believe the entire club (manager included) are attempting to shift the transfer strategy away from expensive buys towards an Arsenal style buy 'em young and cheap, bring them on and sell them at a profit. This takes time and is another reason I want Strachan in charge for the long term because I believe he is an excellent coach.

I also recognise his short comings when it comes to dealing with big names and big egos, but we won't be seeing many of those in the next few years so that shouldn't be a problem.