1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is John Edwards really psychic?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Jupiter 8, May 10, 2009.

Discuss Is John Edwards really psychic? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CrosasRightFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Loovens, Crosas
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    To go to Dawkin's point, the brain is the hardware that runs simulation software. We take in all the information around us, and form a picture of the world. Because of this, the wind and a moving curtain can appear as a ghost to a young child, but to an * it will appear as a curtain being blown because their brain has a greater amount of past experiences and knowledge to draw upon. So we can be easily tricked by all sorts of things.

Some people are simply hardwired to form one simulation, different from the next guy's.

2. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm going to have to give that book a read....sounds interesting although it might destroy my faith

3. Jupiter 8

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    I don't think I ever moved past that stage. I still see faces and monsters in all sorts of things. Curtains, clouds, carrots, pets, trees - you name it. Even if two or more objects are close to each other, they can form shapes and merge into something else. It takes me half an hour just to make it from the bedroom down the hall to the toilet, trying to negotiate the constantly new envrionments I encounter. :54:

On a lighter note, it helps me draw pictures with the crayons I've got.

4. CrosasRightFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Loovens, Crosas
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    It was The * Delusion that destoyed mine - what can I say, the guy's opinionated and articulate.

5. CrosasRightFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Loovens, Crosas
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    :56::56::56:That's got to be the funniest thing I've heard all day :icon_mrgreen:

6. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That is a lot like me.....I see faces in wet plaster, in clouds,trees, flowers, in pictures....in paintings, in almost anything that has a texture....stuff no one else sees and some can see when I point them out....it's weird...or I'm weird...one of the other :56:

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'm glad. I thought I might come across as being rude
    I have also never seen a ghost. I live near an old estate that has an old mansion. There's a story called 'The White Lady' locally about a ghost there. It's a lot of nonsense in my opinion.

In regards to you sensing your papa's smell. Maybe you associate tragedy with that smell and that's why you remember it?
    Do you mean you actually conversed with spirits?
    Like I've already said, I don't believe that we have the ability to be psychic. But if I were proven wrong, I'd accept it.

Absolutely terrible book that forces it's opinion down your throat without regard to the opposing side of the debate. In that book, Dawkin's talks about atheism as if he is desperate for it to be correct, not because it actually is correct. Many renowned atheists have been quoted as saying that book 'makes me embarrassed to be an atheist'. You should read 'The Dawkins Delusion'.

I always look at the front of cars as faces. I pick out faces in los of things.

Marie, from what I've seen posted, you appear to have a lot of faith. I don't think that book would destroy it. If you do read 'The * Delusion', make sure you also get a copy of 'The Dawkins Delusion'.

8. green_t

Fav Celtic Player:
    Present - Boruc, Brown, McGeady : All Time - Larsson, McStay, Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    it's a well known phenomenon, seeing faces in clouds and objects and the like, I cant remember the scientific name for it though..

As for John Edwards, in my opinion the guy is a shyster, praying on the weak and vulnerable, as does every other so called "psychic"

Load of mumbo jumbo.

In all the years of "ghost hunting", is there a photograph or any conclusive evidence of the afterlife? No.

Seems pretty conclusive.

9. aidan_mcanespie

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady (my bhoy) Larssons Ghod !
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Currently - The Legend Mandela.
    I dont know much about this guy tbh...

People believe in *, when clearly theres no evidence to prove it but whos to say that hes not there? If people believe in this dude Edwards and that he is infact a psychic, keep believing that. The more you believe the more true it gets for you IMO. :50:

As for ghosts - When i was doing work experience a few years back in Renfrew Swimming Pool, a woman that i worked with was telling me that she was certain that a ghost was in her house and wasnt planning on moving. She told me alot of storys regarding this ghost, not the usual story you hear such as the light was flickering, the tv turned off , the tiolet flushed etc. One story which she told me was that this ghost actually had her son by the throat holding him off his feet against a wall (i think it was a wall) She said she woke up with her son screaming during the night, when she entered his room she said her son was "floating" Before i heard this story i always thought theres no such thing as ghosts, the only question i ask is why would this woman want to lie? I kept in touch with her after my work experience, a few month down the line she had told me that she had to move house because of this ghost. She had not long moved into the house and one of her neighbours had told her that someone passed away in that house about a year before they moved in.

I dont know what to think about ghosts ive never had the pleasure of meeting one and i hope to * i will never be "floating" !!

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I also think that psychics are a lot of rubbish. But if you asked me to thoroughly explain why it was rubbish, I might begin to struggle for an answer.

11. green_t

Fav Celtic Player:
    Present - Boruc, Brown, McGeady : All Time - Larsson, McStay, Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    of course, there might not be proof of ghosts to be found anywhere, but there is also no proof that they dont exist....i just think if there was such things as ghosts we would know by now, especially with the amount of TV programmes covering the subject. But then again, I believe there is life on other galaxies, but there is no proof of that either :97:

I'm stumped.

12. ARMALITE

Good open mind Minty. :50:

Some people are born with this ability but do not realise what it actualy is until older. Yes you can learn.
    The spiritulist scociety of Great Britain have schools where they teach people to develop their perceptiveness.

Marie would be a wonderfull candidate.
    I ,like you marie have had many strange experiences with people who have passed away. Some wonderfull and some very frightening. The last one which I spoke about on hear in another thread saved my grandsons life.

What about our own Gorden Smith ?.

13. ARMALITE

:50: Very good point

14. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It's not that I smell it after I have heard bad news.....it is before that, it doesn't happen often as you can imagine but it is always before I hear of a death or I'm passed by a hearse..... could be anything from a few minutes to an hour..... it is a unique smell....I was the only one who smelt it when he passed, I've been with my mum when it has happened and even she thinks it is weird. I honestly can't explain it Minty....I wish I could and I wish I did have some valid reasoning behind it but I don't.
    yes, I would say I have, definitely. The first couple of times it happened I was overcome with fear, hairs on the back of my neck standing up, frozen to the spot. One time when I was young I was in a chapel in Glasgow....St Teresa's in Possilpark, I was there with my mum and my uncle and his future wife, they were visiting the priest about their impending marriage.....anyway....mum and I walked around the chapel, we got to this part that was behind big gates, now as soon as we reached that I got this awful feeling....i was rooted to the spot, all the hairs on my body were on end and I was filled with fear.....I asked my mum what was in there....I was told that that was where the bodies of the dead lay overnight before their funeral.....I had no proir knowledge of this and for that reason I doubt I'd have any subconcious thoughts about it that made that happen.

It has happened a few times and everytime it has there has been no prior knowledge of the area or what has happened in or about that area.....that has been found out after the fact.

Another thing that happens with me is I sometimes have premonitions in dreams, nothing too weird in that you might say....it can happen to us all but it has believing that there is spirits around us who do and can influence our thoughts, dreams and actions.
    My dad is what he calls a " very true dreamer" there was been countless times where he has dreamt of stuff happening and it's came true....he has warned me and other members of my family to be careful, he even banned me from going to a celtic vs rangers reserve game when I was young because he dreamt that there was a lot of trouble,he dreamt of the Kerrydale Street riot the night before the game....he's dreamt that someone in his family has died and he's awoke the next day to get a phonecall about it......there is countless things that have happened with no reasonable explaination as to how or why.....i guess stuff like this just reinforces my belief that our loved ones can communicate with us in various ways.

Will do Minty, thanks

15. Mr Nice

Fav Celtic Song:
    Always look on the brightside of life
  16. Martin

I don't know who John Edwards is, so I can't comment on him. However although I am a bit of a cynic re fortune tellers and psychics generally I do believe that people have such abilities which we don't really understand.

I do believe that the humans are capable of remarkable things which are kinda 'regulated' out of us (if that makes sense). How do we explain the genius of Da Vinci ? Mozart ? Even the natural, and totally instinctive, talents of top sportsmen ?

I just believe that we have things within us that very few of us actually tap in to.

17. greenprint

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Its called pareidolia. Here is a great example. What can you see? Jesus or baby in hat?

[​IMG]

18. Mr Nice

Fav Celtic Song:
    You meaning the brain?

19. Mr Nice

Fav Celtic Song:
  20. Martin

I think physical and mental things mate.

Look at a virtuoso musician, something natural just takes over them when they are playing. It's almost inexplicable.