1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

why no aiden

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by bertie pill, May 9, 2009.

Discuss why no aiden in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

That was the problem and most of us are agreeing on that. If you don't lose your marker then you'll create no space. He doesn't even drop deep at any time in the game never mind work the channels. He's not capable of this kind of work rate though:rolleyes:

2. Martin

Lumping it in the box is the best tactic ? Not for me.

Run at that them, turn them, beat a man and drag the next defender out of position as he covers his team mate. Win a pen by running at them if they are sat deep. Use the width and stretch them.

3. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I didnt say that, did I?

I said when a team sits back 11 behind the ball, direct football is an effective method. Thats what MON did to alot of SPL sides to win matches if you remember and Strachan doesnt have Larsson, Sutton & Hartson at his disposal and I dont blame him for the calibre of player at the club.

Your preferred method does play into a defensively minded team's hands too so you cant be calling Strachan's choice laughable

4. Martin

How does running at a deep lying defence and committing aging defenders play in to their hands ?

We never hit the byeline and use cutbacks, for me we cross from too deep positions. I've said before that I don't like Naka/McGeady on the 'wrong' side of the pitch, for me they go inside and we end up too narrow and clogged up.

5. gunt

That is not true. Its a red herring. Aidan had a run and shot but otherwise he really was invisible for a lot of the game and he never got a cross in or hit the by-line. He was more invisible than Maloney who at least linked well and put in a few dangerous crosses. These games are almost always bad ones for all wingers because there is no room and Rangers are so negative. Nobody knows how Aidan would have done but from his 30 minutes (when the FB must have been more tired), past Aidan games at Ibrox and the nature of the Rangers tactics I think all the indicators is that Aidan would not have done any better and it made no difference. Remember, Aidan can run and dribble but he is far worse than Maloney for giving the ball away so that could have cost us too. Bottom line is WGS has always hugely preferred Maloney above Aidan if he has to chose between the two.

6. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    How do you get past the midfield thats sitting on top of these defenders? You have to break that down first and the defenders are ready to mop up if you manage to get past them. Its easy for a team thats used to doing it against European Sides that tried the style your talking about and lost out.

The full back is suppose to overlap and get to the byline in this system. They are the ones that are suppose to stretch the backline and create space for the Naka/McGeady to cut inside or use the width. O'Dea gets a nose bleed when he eventually gets to the halfway line though.

7. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    They started against Aberdeen on the "right" sides much to no avail. In fact with Nakas lack of pace there was not a hope of him hitting the by-line.

A McGeady/Maloney combo would be the best of both worlds for me, because I agree, it would be nice to get them on their right sides regularly, but that would mean dropping Naka.

Also of all the things I would criticise the manager for on Saturday I wouldn't pick this Maloney/McGeady question. McGeady even appears to be getting worse at his end-product. I may be pushing the boat here but he seems to be up his own * and spending too much time out on the lash. What a glorious chance he had against Rangers, just to hit the target would have been nice.

8. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Very true.

9. timthebhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It is not a red herring. Maloney shyed away from the ball all game. He had one run that I can remember. Most of his passes were back to the LB and he didnt create space for the ball to come back to him.

McGeady came on and was instantly up with an attack. He also had the only shot of any note on goal from us. I remember more about McGeady's game than Maloneys. So for that reason I think McGeady played better.

I think though that Aiden would have done much better. He is our best player. He is the best player in the country. He also tracks back more than Maloney. Maybe evenb have saved the Davis from scoring.

At the end of the day its my opinion over yours but I still feel that if you dont play your best player then you dont deserve to win.

10. gunt

This season Aidan has been far from the best player in the country. He has overall had a pretty disappointing season. The rewards dont lie. Our best players this year have been Brown and Caldwell and in polls Hinkel was also in contention too. Naka IMO has been very good as well in the 2nd half of the season and I think Skippy too has shown a lot of form. The rest have had patchy seasons.

11. timthebhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Just because you have not had an outstanding season doesnt mean you are not still the best player.

Does it mean that Ryan Giggs is the best player in England.No. He just performed in a more consistent manner. Ronaldo is still the best player. Just because you dont win awards doesnt mean you are not the best!

12. timthebhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This season was blighted by injury at the start, then Maloney came in to his place. Then when he got back in the team he had the WGS argument. Hard to win poty awards when these things happen.

13. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

How would you rate him in these categories out of say....5

Dribbling - ?
    Shooting - ?
    Ball Conrol - ?
    Passing - ?
    Crossing - ?
    Strengh - ?
    Work Rate - ?

Be fair now:50:

14. Martin

Teams being defensive against us is hardly a new thing. We have to play through them, using our squad's advantages (our best players) to turn them back to facing their own goal. When a team sit with two banks of 4 (or 4 and 5) they WANT the opposition to resort to balls in to the box as it's easier to deal with.

As he is a CB I agree that O'Dea is never going to be hitting the byeline and firing across dangerous balls but even with our first pick FBs available it does not seem to be a feature of our game. For me we are crossing from too deep and it's easier to defend.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  15. JC147

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Lubo, Lambert,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing,
    Dribbling - 4
    Shooting - 3
    Ball Conrol - 5
    Passing - 4
    Crossing - 3
    Strengh - 4
    Work Rate - 5

(i think) Still kinda unsure of some.

16. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

I'd go along with these ones since WGS had a word about his Work Rate.

17. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No it isnt but Rangers got to a European Final using the tactic so you cant say its easy to breakdown at Ibrox

McGeady was on the field for a good while and against tired players and he also had Naylor supporting him and when he got the ball out wide, he did * all with it. It wasnt working.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  18. Martin

Who says it's easy ? It's not, that's why teams do it. But it's not new and it's up to the good teams to break it down. You're happy enough to cite the UEFA Cup now when you have dismissed it as Mickey Mouse in the past.

McGeady did better than Maloney for me.

19. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It is a mickey mouse tournament, why is it being revamped then?

I use it as an example to show how they beat better footballing sides home and away using this tactic. You call Strachans tactics laughable when other European Managers like Paulo Bento and Prandelli, who are good managers, couldnt beat them with better players.

Your tactical preference could easily been just as ineffective given the surface was holding water. It wasnt ideal conditions for a dribbler.

McGeady did a better shade of useless but still useless

20. Martin

You say it's Micky Mouse and then use it as a measure of Rangers being good. That's a contradiction.

When are things ever ideal ? It rains a lot in Scotland you know ?

Too harsh imo.