1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

City Centre bike rental scheme

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by -LiAMo-, May 1, 2009.

Discuss City Centre bike rental scheme in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. -LiAMo-

Fav Celtic Player:
    Arthur Boruc, Aido McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song
    A bike rental scheme is due to start in Dublin city by july so the papers say

Bike rental scheme to be up and running in July

Friday May 01 2009

Hundreds of bicycles will reportedly be available to rent in Dublin in just two months' time.
    Reports this morning say work is already underway on 40 rental stations where 450 bicycles will be made available to the public from early July.
    The stations will serve as drop-off and collection points for people who want to participate in the scheme.
    They will have to pay €10-a-year to join and will have to pay a large deposit when renting a bicycle.
    The first half-hour of use will then be free, with the rental rate rising the more time the bike is in use.
    The bikes are being provided by the advertising firm JC Decaux in exchange for an estimated €15m worth of outdoor advertising space.
    ..............................................................................................

They have something similar in Barcelona and they get used a lot, during the day you can see the trucks dropping off bikes at popular points to re-stock the rack..

When i was in barca i thought could this work in Dublin, only time will tell, i have a feeling that they will be fleeced to *..

2. Quiet Assassin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul McStay, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Great idea if implemented correctly. I was in Paris a few months ago and they have a similar scheme where there are bike racks dotted all over the city. You can pay by a few methods but the most popular is a charge card idea where you buy top up credit then when you want to use a bike, you enter your card in the machine, which unlocks one of the bikes and you're charged automatically when you return the bike to whichever bike rack you want.

The Parisians love it and I never heard one person criticise it.

3. -LiAMo-

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song

yea i think the beauty of it is that you dont have to bring the bike back to the spot were you got it, i did see people trying to bring bikes back to a full rack, they were *, had to stand there until someone rented one so the could nick there space

4. tim park

thats an idea and a half there m8ty,,glasgow hasent got one of these,,mmmm interesting

5. -LiAMo-

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song

that firm JC Decaux are behind it, if there getting 15mil ad space around the city this bike scheme wont be cheap, i'll weld you up some bike racks, you source the bikes:50:

6. tim park

if i had the money,i would seriously think about it,

7. Brendan Hughes

Its a good idea its just if you can trust the people to return them, genuine tourists would it would just be locals....