1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Greatest Ever Team

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by DanniGhirl, Mar 30, 2009.

Discuss The Greatest Ever Team in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BringItHome!CE

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields

7 :50: 7 goals aswell.

2. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    100% record still, how could a man like that only get 7 * caps:31:

3. Sonny7

tommy johnston for dalglish:56: on a serious note...big mjallby was world class on his day, dont hink he'd make the team but he would'nt be far away:50: i agree with mcgrory for dalglish, his goalscoring record is 2nd to none. dalgish was awsome to though:50:

4. Pacific Ocean Blue

5. Ryan47

Fav Celtic Player:
    Caldwell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I love Lubo, but you cannot be serious. The fact Paul McStay shone in the dark days shows just how good the guy was. A true Celtic legend.

Lubo was more talented aye, but he was arguably more talented than anybody on that list.

I'd probably take Dalglish out, but he was outstanding too. * sake, it's so hard.

6. RafaelScheidt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc,Scott Brown and Jan V O H
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I voted for McGrory, Tully also voted for John Thompson in goals.

Sadly they're being forgotten

7. Brendan Hughes

I think that McGrory should defo have been in the team, he has one of the best goalscoring records about, what a frontline that would have been Henrik and Mcgrory

8. Markybhoy

I think there are 2 things that always count against McGrory.

1 - There is so little footage of him compared to modern players.

2 - Teams in McGrory's time played with 5 forwards. These days there are teams playing with 5 defenders! McGrory's goalscoring numbers will clearly have been swelled, compared to more modern players, by this.

I suppose it depends how much credence you give to these two factors. I'm pretty sure these things count against him though when 'Greatest ever' teams are being picked.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
  9. Markybhoy

10. gary b

Its a tough choice,because I did see Dalglish play for Celtic and he was top class,won lots of honours,scored lots of goals.But if I'm honest,he became world class when he joined Liverpool.

I just find it unbelievable that a man who is the record scorer in British football(in any era)Served the club as a player and manager for over 40 years,cant find his way into the club's best XI.Dalglish was a great player,but is his contribution to Celtic greater than McGrory's?

Of course it isnt.

11. P R D

But the days of McGrory were so long ago, most of McGrory's legend is passed down by word rather than video. What the likes of Dalglish did has been recorded and will still be watchable 100 years from now. It'll never be forgotton.

McGrory never had that, and, sadly, a lot of it has been forgotten. It's not right but what can you do?

12. gary b

So,if you cant watch it,someone's achievments have less relevance?

As long as there is a Celtic,James McGrory will be remembered.I dont need to see video clips of him playing to appreciate what a legendary Celt he was and still is.He should have been in the XI,no question.

13. P R D

I said it wasn't right, didn't I? Doesn't change the fact that people's perceptions of these players will change over the years as the collective memories fog.

14. Biffy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik, Brown, Aiden, Artur and Big Jan
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Willie Maley
    McGrory is the leading scorer in British football. First pick for me.

15. Ricardinho

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    You could argue Joe McBride deserves a mention for the greatest ever team, over 91% strike rate, 86 goals for Celtic in 93 games for Celtic. Too bad injury cut his Celtic career short or I think he'd be a ceratin starter in the greatest ever 11.

Except from that can't argue too much with it although I think it's a crazy a formation. My team is:

R. Simpson
    D. McGrain
    B. McNeill
    T. Gemmell
    B. Murdoch
    B. Auld
    P. McStay
    J. Johnstone
    B. Lennox
    H. Larsson
    J, McGrory

Subs:
    Bonner
    Hay
    Aitken
    Lambert
    Tully
    McBride
    Dalglish

16. gary b

I think the fact that we are discussing,and singing songs about a player who played for us almost 70 years ago would challenge your point.Part of following a great club such as ours,is the fact that we are aware of great players we have never seen play,and respect the contribution they have made to our history.If we lose that,it will be a sad day.

Incidentally,I think the rest of the team picks itself.The omission of McGrory is surprising to say the least.

17. Pacific Ocean Blue

All these things about Jesus Christ is by word and what is in the bible.. not video footage... think about that one..

McGrory should be on that list without a doubt

18. shop

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur
    At first I wouldn't have changed anything in our greatest ever XI. However on reflection I would have to say Jimmy McGrory has to be in there, an average of over a goal a game (over 500 odd matches) is nothing short of * astounding.

If Kenny Dalglish had spent longer at the club he would have been in there for me as Scotland's greatest ever player, however he spent his best days at Liverpool winning European Cups and League titles for them rather than us. It was big Jock that engineered his move to Liverpool, Kenny had a desire to try himself down there. Who knows, if he'd stayed at Celtic maybe we could have had another European Cup in the cabnet!

19. jcwelsh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobo Balde
    Fav Celtic Song:
    WILLIE MALEY
    Di Canio would be in my team, not sure who I would leave out for him but he has to be the most gifted midfielder we have had at Parkhead, some of the goals he scored where amazing

20. DanniGhirl

One thing is for certain, no matter what age anyone is on here we have all seen some truely gifted footballers dawn the famous hoops - and long may that continue :50: