1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tam Rogic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Heisenberg, Jan 17, 2013.

Discuss Tam Rogic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Different market, different ages, different situations.

We only just made £19m for Dembele. If we were an EPL team we would have got a lot more for him. Same as VVD, same as Wanyama.
    Your example isnt a general valuation measure that can be followed.

For £10m we can add two quality players who can give us more than what Rogic alone would.

celticfan01 likes this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    We can't keep going to the well time after time, there comes a point when players have to move on and the team has to move forward with new faces, to keep up the hunger and zest for success.

This is a massive summer ahead for us, managerial appointment and player recruitment will be so crucial in our quest for the 10.

charlietully and rickyroma25 like this.
  3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Solanke was just an example.

If Snodgrass is a better one then go with that. Went for £10.2million with more years on the clock than Rogic, having never played in the Champions League or World Cup and having never won a trophy. That's not a slight on Snodgrass, he's a decent player but he's nowhere near the level of Rogic.

Another is Martyn * Waghorn going for £6 million in the summer.

No chance should we punting on the cheap. If someone down there wants him then they can pay the going rate for a full international with World Cup and European experience.

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Not from a Scottish team though. The same with waghorn. Snodgrass was putting in 30 games a season and scoring regularly in the championship.

Im no saying we should punt him on the cheap, but all things considered he isnt worth more than £10m.

Every player has a price and as good as Rogic can be, i dont think we would miss Rogic over the course of a season with the emergence of Christie and the money from his transfer fee.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Irrelevant. If English teams think they can trot out that line to get our players on the cheap because they haven't playing in the English Championship then tell them to jog on. Rogic has played at the top level of European and International Football

I love Christie, his enthusiasm and effort is infectious but let's be honest, at this point he isn't capable of the levels that Rogic is. Also I think Christie was far more effective playing in the deeper role, getting in and about the opposition.

If we punt Rogic then we need a quality replacement. We can't squirrel more money away and not replace our quality players.

6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No question this is a massive transfer window for us coming up. We simply cannot afford to muck it up as we have done 3 windows in a row now. The only caveat I will say is that I don't include Rogic in that equation. For me as long as Rogic wants to stay long term at Celtic he should be treated and kept as a core player. Regardless of where we are financially to have long term success there always has to be a core group that is kept and for me Rogic would be part of that core as long as that is what he really wants. In Rogic's case for me it all comes down to what does the player really want and think from a long term perspective.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I think you hit the key there when saying where Christie is more effective. Rogic is an out and out 10 and while Christie like McGregor can play that role certainly in Christie's case he is much more effective as an 8.

8. StevieBhoooy!

While I love having Rogic as a player and value what he can do...

I get the shakes every time he is called up for Australia..

Maybe just my perception but he seems to be sent back injured every time ... and not just niggles ... nagging injuries requiring surgery and/or long spells out.

The Asian Cup was January ... he's only just (mYbe not even yet?!?) getting back to speed.

Australia have summer friendlies coming up in summer - S Korea in June for starters..

Will they insist on him playing when we have CL qualifiers imminent ?

I’d not be surprised if he was sent back injured as usual!

Westlondonscot likes this.
  9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Its highly relevant. You are making your case purely based on an over inflated market. Business and economics does not operate on such a simplified model as the one you believe should apply to us.

Regardless of who is paying the money, and from where, I would bite the hand off anyone willing to pay circa £10m because id be confident we would be able to buy someone who could offer us more than what Rogic is currently providing with that sort of money and also add in another area too.

On the contrary i prefer Christie in an advanced role because he is a goal threat and takes up good positions and I want a goal threat in positions where they can score goals. The goal vs aberdeen in the cup final was made by boyatas pass finding him making the run high up the pitch. If he is deeper he cant offer that.

You play christie further back in a deeper role and you have Mcgregor and Christie who do not possess a lot of physicality.

Aye exactly, and we use the money to add quality to the team for players who will hopefully be availible more than Rogic who is too often injured or recovering.

10. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I like rogic and he really is a quality player. His shooting and passing ability is unreal. Despite not being the quickest in a sprint he can turn quick too.

There are definitely flaws to his game though. Not being able to see most games out, being out for long parts of the season too. Then in terms of energy spent, he is barely a work horse is he?

If we make the comparison to Christie, he drives at teams, he can hit them, he can find a pass and he can last the match too. And he really is a work horse. Two very different types granted, but Christie would be in the team before rogic for me.

11. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Bingo, as much as we would like to get the most market value out of a player, playing in Scotland will bring that cost down compared to the championship. Also just because a player has played at Champions League level doesn't automatically mean their price rises, especially for a player that very rarely performs at the level required in Europe.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  12. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    10m for rogic? Some ppl on here need to lay off zombiemedia ffs

Anything less than 18-20m shouldnt even enertain answering the * phone.

One injury plagued bad season and * want him out the door at half price.

paulmcq1888, Lewis Kerr and Tommy25 like this.
  13. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    If he scores on sunday watch the attitude shift.

Joke

Tommy25 and StPauli1916 like this.
  14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

What metric are you using to value Rogic at £10 million? Of course the English overvaluing average players in their bubble and undervaluing players in Scotland is relevant, it's an issue we need to address.

We have 2 players that are about to play in a Champions League Final that we sold for a combined £25 million; one of which is playing in it for the 2nd successive season.

We could all see they were quality. We all knew they would reach the top of the game and yet we accepted those fees. They then perform at the same levels down there and their value multiplies by 6!

Rogic is a quality player on his day we've all seen it. Anyone suggesting that Snodgrass is better than him needs to go lie down in a dark room for a while.

It's time to send a message to these English clubs that the days of paying under market value because fuds like Robbie Savage talk down our game are over.

The bids start at £15 million. Any below that don't even provide them with a response. We got offered £9 million for Dedryck * Boyata with 10 months left on his deal. £10 million for big Tam who is contracted til 2023 would be absolutely criminal.

Your League Cup Final example of Christie not being able to get into advanced positions is nonsense. He was playing as an 8 that day. Rogic was in the 10. That's the benefit of having Christie deeper he has the engine to do the box-to-box role and break defensive lines that Rogic doesn't.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  15. smiddybar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Very difficult to disagree with anything on this post but I would prefer it if Rogic decided to stay put. in my opinion he is one class act and he would be hard to replace even if the board decided to splash the cash.

Tommy25 and Seán Mac D like this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, i'd rather we kept him too. He's a matchwinner for us and by the sound of his agent yesterday he's content where he is. There's no rush to sell him, we don't need the money. If other clubs want him they will have to pay top dollar.

Liam Scales, Tommy25 and StPauli1916 like this.
  17. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This. All of this.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  18. celtic warrior

He's worth what we say he's worth.

Ki, Hooper, Forster, Wanyama, VVD, Armstrong and Dembele have all gone for fees in and around £6million+, Hooper I think went for less?.

Either way, if someone like Armstrong can go for £7mill and Dembele for £19mill, then someone who can change games and score goals like Rogic is worth minimum £12mill.

He is technically one of, if not, the best player we have, he's strength and ball control allow him to create chances out of nothing, something a lot of our players lack, it's a skill only a few top quality players have and it comes at a premium.

19. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Snodgrass had scored important goals for Hull in the Premiership so proved he could do it. That is where is value went up. He scored 7 in the first half of the season, scored in international matches for Scotland.
    Yeah Rogic played in a world cup but Australia wouldn't qualify through the UEFA qualifying.

20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    They would if they were in a group with Scotland :fear:

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.