1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    :50:

2. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Nah I've never seen anyone get pulled up by the polis for that, personally I think the roads are for the most part safe but will depend on where you are cycling though, my journey is straight along the Glasgow road/PRW to the city centre. I've been cycling to work for about 5 year now 16 mile round journey, takes care of the cardio before I hit the gym in the morning

Jacob knows likes this.
  3. TimFloyd Gold Member

Not really been at the gym much lately.

Stupidly done my first leg session in * knows how long and done 4x20 calf raises with loaded bar.

Been walking around the house like a mutant velociraptor for days now.

FML

honda likes this.
  4. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    That'll pretty much be my route mate. Paisley to Helen street in govan. Not that far. Couple of guys telling me it's no worth it. You end up getting really bad rashes etc. Now I'm in two minds

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Day 1 of the 2022 diet/abbs mission.

After 2021 I started 19.7 ended 16 stone. I'll probably be high 16s after the last 2 weeks tbh :56: but I'm starting from a better place this time.

Picking up a squat rack from gumtree this week to finally do legs properly. My legs have consisted of plyometric training. Since my upper body now has a nice "oh he might have a hint of touching some weights once in his life" look about it, I better get my legs built aswel and not be twigs :56: plus it'll help my jump.

Last year I started 60kg bench, ended 110kg at 6-8 reps. I'll struggle squating 50... but off to argos tonight to pick up more 20kgs while they're on offer. Next year I'll be moaning how my jeans are tight across my manly thighs. Take a look ladies, rugby legs incoming.

6. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Never had any rashes mate, first I've heard of it. Just googled it though and it does seem to happen, I wouldn't imagine a short journey it wouldn't happen but I've cycled to Greenock, Loch Lomond and never had any issues. I definitely recommend cycling to work, it's agood way to get some cardio without even thinking about it once it becomes your routine and along the prw is as safe a cycle as you can get on a road. Good luck if you go for it

Jacob knows likes this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    First run since covid..

7.5k and was dying on a hill. Stopped for 5 then ran the other 2.5. Was gonna run in to the park and use the apparatus but lodged that off...was burst..

neilly1987 likes this.
  8. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

I'm fat as * these days but been going to the gym 3/4 times a week since November ish. Got one of the trainers there to do me a programme and I'm excited to see where that takes me. She's set me 3 a rep max of 120kg for deadlift,70kg bench and 75kg squats by 24th Jan which I think should be well doable.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    17k two runs within about 4 day's this week. 10 and 7, the second my back was killing for about the first 4 :90::giggle1:

Got two other bods on it so giving me more motivation again..

Back on the workouts indoors as well. Instantly see a difference..

10. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Over the last couple of years have ballooned, being over 60 and having a PD beer machine and a love for malt whisky, doesn't help.

So started my dry Jan on the 3rd, cut out the usual bread, pasta, rice and take aways. Been on the exercise bike nearly every morning for 60/90mins.

Weighed in this morning, lost 7.5lbs........gives me the wee lift to keep going and stepping it up next week to 5ml walks too and then hopefully start a wee bit jogging again. Knees dependant :84::84:

neilly1987 and tarboltontim like this.
  11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Was on the pints last night at the football and still dragged myself out of bed at 5.15am to get up for a leg session in the gym this morning. Changed days.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  12. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I've to loose some weight before I get my knee surgery so I have been watching my diet and re-joined the gym however, I am not sure about lifting weights as muscle weighs heavier than fat. So, anybody any ideas on what's the best type of exercise for someone (bearing in mind I can't really do serious cardio due to my knee) to help loose weight and I'd like to hear people's opinions on fat burners and if they are worth the money?

13. ddub11

Done my knee in a while back,couldnt bend the leg and was looking at maybe keyhole surgery.

Doc said rest but i believe motion is lotion so off to the gym i went.Started of walking on the tread mill and eventually got my self on the bike(took a week or two before i could turn the peddles fully )any way after a few weeks i was walking at pace on the treadmill and the bike work improved.

You have to build up the muscle around the knee at some stage,plenty of machines to do that safely in the gym just talk to the staff and take your time(you know your own body)and good luck with it.

Jeannie960 and Wee Baldy like this.
  14. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I'm just waiting on a full knee replacement as my knee is really gubbed. I can walk on the treadmill and go on the bikes if I don't add any resistance however, I'd really like to give swimming a go but it's a nightmare trying to get in now due to the Covid restrictions. The surgeon said exactly what you said re trying to build some muscle around my knee as it will help my recovery.

ddub11 likes this.
  15. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I'm back to watching the diet. I have 20Ibs to lose to get down to 9st for my holidays. Can't believe how much I put on in the last 5 years! I'm good at walking for miles so that and actually getting up for work 4 days a week should help. Need to start using my wee hand weights too but I feel like I'm cheating as they're not all that heavy.

honda likes this.
  16. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I've been advised to loose a stone and a half Jeanie as I'm due to get a complete knee replacement and, according to the BMI Chart, they reckoned I was obese. I've managed to stick to a diet which helped me loose about 12lbs but I've now hit a plateau. I decided to up my exercise regime and went to the swimming yesterday for the first time in 2yrs and was blowing out my * after doing just one length however, it needs to be done. That's why I was also asking people their opinions about the fat burners re whether they work or not. Stick at it

Jeannie960 likes this.
  17. stew37

Had been back into the habit of going decent hikes at the weekend, along with a couple of games of 7s. Along with the constant walking about I do on site I'd lost about half a stone since start of year. Took a really innocuous wee stumble going up stairs in work last Thursday, but the following few days felt above my ankle/below shin getting sore and tight. Went to hosp after work yest and she felt my leg and instantly said yeah I can feel that, that's tendonitis. Never had this before but it's horrible, need to try and stay off it. Gaffer says if I can come in he'll put me on light duties but it's * sore just now, doesn't feel like I should be leaving the gaff. :55:

18. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I have chronic tendinitis in my shoulder. It’s a * brutal injury, very frustrating as I lose a lot of strength when playing football because of it.

19. stew37

I don't want it to turn into a chronic/more serious thing like that, so I'm taking a few days off at least, have barely left the couch last couple days and have had ice on it a lot. Sometimes it seems alright but then it comes back again. Hopefully it clears up enough soon, might go back to work for a half day on Friday.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Done 10k a couple of day's ago and another 10 today inside the hour both of them...just..

That's 40k this month..

Had a blowout the other week and after that gave myself a bit of motivation to start doing more, been working out every day and active since. No gym, just outdoor apparatus and indoor workouts. Can 100% see the difference..

Feel in a good place. Mood is mad positive..

stew37, Saul Goodman and bagforlife like this.