1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney v Andy Robertson

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Jun 8, 2019.

Discuss Kieran Tierney v Andy Robertson in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TimFloyd Gold Member

Awfully nice of you to answer the question at hand....

Im glad all that's cleared up :50:

2. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This.

3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don't care who anyone thinks is the best between two brilliant players, it's just you come across as very condescending about being a fan of Celtic. I know you're a fan but it's just strange to hear someone talk about us as if we're diddies.

Have no idea why you mentioned Sterling and Aguero, they play in the same team and Kun is obviously a better player, he's been at the top level for many years.

4. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Robertson's better than KT just now but Tierney absolutely has the potential to be the better player overall by the time their career's are finished, think he'll have to leave us though as he won't reach that potential playing the number of games we do every season and the spfl just doesn't have the quality to test him consistently.

An elite coach like Klopp working with Tierney the way he has with Robertson would make him an absolute top level player.

Random Review and Lilac Wine like this.
  5. TimFloyd Gold Member

I know the last part of your first post is tounge and cheek but there is people with genuine delusions of grandeur out there when it comes to us.

While no I wouldn't say we were diddies but we do play diddy teams near enough week in week out.

And I mentioned them because you said it's very unfair to use level of opposition to judge them. :39:

I would say its unfair to use that as the one way to judge them but it does make a huge factor.

6. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Robertson has just won the CL ffs

He is by far the better player.

Tierney has potential to go very far though.

7. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Robertson is unbelievable , crossing , shooting , running power, intelligence. World class.

8. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Say we did play diddy teams, how come that didn't cloud our judgement of Virgil or Victor or lots of other players to grace our turf? Judging KT shouldn't be relative to the teams we play every week.

I still don't get why you put two players in the same team to make it a level playing field. That's not making the opposition the same that's making the team the same?

Even if some fans had delusions of grandeur does that mean we should go extreme in the other direction and say we're *? :(

9. Pearse67*

Kt before we ran him into the ground.

Asking today then robertson by a nose.

10. Damnati

As much as I want Tierney to stay at Celtic for his whole career, I would feel bad if he never had the chance to prove to the rest of the world how good he is. I definitely think he could play at the same level as Robertson then we'd get a proper chance to judge who is better.

11. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Roberston has pushed on so much the last 18 months. One of few world class LBs. His 1 on 1 defending is exceptional now.

KT has the potential to be where Roberston is now with more to his all round game in a few years.

12. HolyBlurt

It's Tierney for me but no by much cos lets be honest he would look just as good with Liverpool with van dijk next to him as robertson does. . He's younger/stronger and more inclined to fling himself into a hard challenge if he needs to than robertson will. For me he's the better defender of the 2. He also gets made to play out of position at times for the national team for Robertson, showing he's more versatile of the 2. Also a heard he hates the queen and spat on jimmy bell at a charity do once anaw so aye, there's that. Also a wid rather have tierney in my celtic startin 11 than robertson because a think it means mare to him playing for us than it would robertson.

Disclaimer am wrecked and full a prop so this has took me a good 20 minutes to write out, so if it doesny make sense * it haha

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Due to injuries it’s obviously Robertson at the moment, but there isn’t much in it when both are fully fit.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Robertson at the moment is obviously playing to a very high level and with a team that suits his strengths. He's nowhere near as good as Tierney in defence though.

Tierney for me is the more-rounded of the 2, he can do the offensive stuff with his pace and power but is also tenacious in the tackle, tactically astute at the back and rarely gets beaten by his man.

If Tierney can recover from his recurring injuries and improve his crossing then he'll be the better LB in the long-run for me. I can't remember a youth player being so consistent for us as he has been. Unbelievable.

15. TimFloyd Gold Member

Did you even read what I posted?

Where have I said in any of my posts that we are *?

I also added that no, judging a player shouldn't be solely on the opposition he is playing but it is a factor and one that cannot be denied.

I said that KT is a fantastic player, it's clear he is an extra ordinary talent, same as VVD same as Wanyama.

If VVD was still at Celtic playing the way he is would he be getting touted to win the Ballon D'or?

Lilac Wine likes this.
  16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Edson Braafheid played in a world cup final.

Plenty of ordinary players win top honours, it's not a barometer on individual ability.

17. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Robertson is a better attacking full-back, Tierney is a better defensive full-back. Not many get past KT even in Europe (apart from Mbappe),Robertsons defensive weaknesses are not really exposed due to players covering for him.

18. murphy88

Djimi Traore won a Champions League as well.

Robertson is a better attacking full back, but I would say Tierney is a better defender. The league we play in and the level of opposition doesn't determine how good Tierney is. Van Dijk was one of the best centre halfs in the world when he played with us and the only reason he didn't go straight to a top team was down to ignorance in my opinion. It's the same with Tierney.

Sean Daleer and Seán Mac D like this.
  19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    KT is better defensively, Robertson offensively at the moment. Well before KTs injury at least.

I don't watch a lot of Liverpool but when I have seen him he doesn't look great defensively. Gets caught out of position a lot, which to be fair may be down to how he's been told to play, but then often goes through the back of players trying to recover the ball. I've seen him commit loads of fouls in he box, that he somehow manages to get away with, which could easily have been penalties. If I were an opposition manager I would definitely be targetting his area, in the same way teams targetted us when Izzy was playing. I was really surprised that barca and Spurs didn't do that, especially Spurs who should know more about him.

20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Who is Andy Robertson ?