1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

If this season is null and void then there’s no reason to shorten next season as long as we can start the season on time.

But if we want to finish this season, depending on when things can go back to normal we can easily shorten next season to accommodate and ensure that players get a rest and preseason.

2. Pat McCluskey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat McCluskey
    I can’t see the remaining fixtures being played this season for a variety of reasons.

Null and void opens up a bigger can of worms than awarding things based on current standings.

Anyway, we’ll see what happens.

3. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

4. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

d
    we are all free

seanm likes this.
  5. Cobbs67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy and Danny
    If the games cannot be completed by the end of June, teams points should just be divided by the amount of games played to give an average points total per game, that then gives the final league table. If a team is tied then use goal difference to decide it and that is the final standings. Think only Hibs and St Johnstone would swap places from what they are on now. Season completed and prize money handed out. Biggest problem would be the play offs, not sure what could be done about them.

My preference would be to get all outstanding fixtures completed, even if it meant that they had to be played behind closed doors. I don’t think the games will be played but this could be a solution if they are not.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Peej, seanm and Sydneysider like this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Having debates on Reddit about this, actual supposed Celtic fans claiming to play all 38 games, as and when that could be - even if we are playing them in October this year to finish 19-20 season - and then to just void off season 20-21 (the potential ten) and start again 21-22...

A suggestion that will in some ways effect potentially 3 seasons...why are some folk not able to listen to what uefa are saying and in turn just accepting the most logical and sensible option, call a deadline of June for this season, whatever happens to be the final result is the final result. Then start the new season as soon as we can. Which is likely August/September anyway.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

7. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I really can't see any football being played ( in Scotland ). The authorities wont take risks and the Huns , Diets and others in danger of relegation will not agree to anything less than a void season. They wont agree to closed doors games and that means the league wont finish.

What is needed is agreement NOW, Ideal is play all games with crowds, next best without crowds and if that can't be done then the league should be suspend until football can be played.

The fixtures can be played during next winter break.. people wont get a break but they are getting an enforced one now.

And it wont be up to the football authorities when to resume games it will be the government that makes decision / recommendation.

8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Any situation opens a can of worms. It’s *.

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

They really should do behind close door games before england. The viewing figures would probably break all modern records. * all else on may's well take advantage try get some new fans. Although a celtic vs sevco with no crowd :56: I kind of want to see it.. :56:

Graeme1888 likes this.
  10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I’ve said from the beginning that I still find the lack of behind closed doors a bit bizarre. It seems like the obvious solution.

UEFA, the SPFL or anyone else saying they want to finish the season in front of supporters is nothing but lip service. They may as well be saying ‘we don’t want the Coronavirus to be here anymore’. With the situation at hand, we won’t be playing in front of a crowd anytime soon.

Based on what we know about Coronavirus I still think there are sufficient safety precautions that could be put into place to make it a valid choice.

It isn’t ideal, it isn’t even close to it, but we’re simply not going to get an ideal outcome here.

MacEwan likes this.
  11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I agree. It’s very strange.

Some work places are still open and people are operating, what’s the difference between that and a game of football being played behind closed doors with only the essential staff involved.

King of Kings likes this.
  12. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    But this thing has not reached its peak yet.

13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Most offices are shutting down, some only working as part of vital infrastructure and people need to be at work. Football is not vital infrastructure, you would still have 36 players plus 4 refs plus coaching staff plus medical staff.

14. Maestro 08

Sounds like the best solution but it only takes one player from the whole league to get this during that period of games & it will all be thrown in turmoil again.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You could keep it to 36 players, 2/3 coaching staff, and an essential medical team which I imagine involves few paramedics and physio.

You then add in camera crew for some games, a few members of the media if needed. I still think you could do that with around 60 people quite easily. Those 60 don’t need to be in close proximity with each other either and are effectively outdoors.

There’s risk involved, it can’t be eliminated entirely. There will likely still be a level of risk involved if we restart play in July/August, particularly if we’re doing so in front of a full house.

16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I’ve heard that, but at the same time I’m unsure why it needs to be the case. Footballers have had illnesses before and will continue to do so in the future, including highly contagious ones.

I understand if footballers start getting it en masse. Arteta getting it being the trigger to postponing the premiership games always seemed a bit odd to me though.

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly the government want us all to get it slowly anyway. Cant stop football forever in fear a young healthy fit player gets a flu.

18. Maestro 08

I agree to a point but if one player gets it they will quarantine that club for weeks which will throw the fixtures in to chaos. Not saying I agree but that is what will happen. For that reason I don't think they will play this season out.

We now have to insure through every resource that the SFA dont pull a fly one and pander to the moon howlers by denying us this title. I'm seeing the rhetoric in the media slowly change from us obviously being declared winners to now null & void being as likely. Every hun and bitter sporting commentator up here seems to be getting the platform to peddle this nonsense to try and change the outcome & nothing would surprise me with this SFA.

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I know, so we should have been playing behind closed doors games with minimal staff while we still can. Players could have been self isolating apart from training, which could have been cut down and games.

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    No one will ever know when the peak has been had until it starts to show signs of slowing down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk