1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hostage situation in French supermarket

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Mar 23, 2018.

Discuss Hostage situation in French supermarket in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't purport to be fluent in their whole gripes and aims but I just can't understand why they believe it furthers their cause to hold a few french grannies hostage when they're going for their morning baguettes.

Something needs to be done about the rise in militant Islam. Whether that's more surveillance and a more aggressive response or some sort of mediation, I don't know but it can't go on.

3. Jeremie Frimpong

Daesh is trying to sow discord among us: after attacks like this one, we start to view each other with fear and suspicion, our societies become fractured, and extremist ideologies find fertile ground.

It is a strategy that is doomed to failure as long as we allow our ideals and not our fears to inform our interactions with each other.

Hopefully, this situation is resolved without any further loss of innocent life.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye but what is their ultimate goal?

5. Jeremie Frimpong

A caliphate governed in accordance with its ideology, I guess - and the legitimacy, power, and wealth that comes with that. Saudi Arabia is little different ideologically, from what I understand.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I suppose all rational people struggle to understand the reasoning. As you say there are countries in the world in which they can practice their customs & beliefs and live under Sharia Law til their heart is content.

Why they require the whole world to submit to their beliefs is beyond me and how holding hostages in French bakeries or blowing up children at concerts, strengthens the case for the caliphate I don't know. It's completely irrational.

I don't know what the answer is but we need to be doing our utmost to find it.

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  8. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

* Russians.

9. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    * world. It's full off tilers.

Nah on a serious note and I don't claim to know much about it and I'm drunk. But the countries practicing shria law so contendly don't seem to be the ones that the west want to drop bombs on. Maybe that's why the rest want to take it out on the west.

Edit. The second part was for Sean Mac Diarmada