1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do We Approach Our Summer Business?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jun 1, 2019.

Discuss How Do We Approach Our Summer Business? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Particularly, because we currently have no head of recruitment and the last one we has was dangerously inept t his job.

At a time we have a rebuilding job on our hands, how do we approach this situation?

I have a feeling we’ll fall back on Lawwell’s contacts and that makes me uncomfortable.

Worst thing The Snake ever done was rip up all the work Lenny and Park did and replace it with an incompetent tool. I don’t even know if the structure is still in place that they used.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Lenny his self and no doubt other's will have been scouting whilst he's been here for month's and before..

I don't know exactly how it works but I'm sure we'll have identified pre contracts and list's from the start of this season alone..

Pre contracts. Loan's. Key target's will all have been identified..

Then you get some that jump out or are brought to attention like Shved..

I think we'll do good business this summer..

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Will we be identifying them from Congerton’s work is the big question though...

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Possibly some but I've no doubt Lenny and co will be doing their own due diligence also..

Just cause he was a failure doesn't mean he didn't have some good name's on the 'list'..

Liam Scales likes this.
  5. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Congerton was a total failure. Yes this summer is very important. I think it is interesting that first Lawwell states that NO rebuild is necessary and then contradicts his original statement by agreeing that a refresh and strengthening is NEEDED. This must have been part of getting the Lennon Deal agreed. Acknowledging Reality.

We are at the end of a Footballing cycle. Hopefully Lenny, is given a reasonable sum of money to replace the players in areas we need. He did a great job spending the Mcgeady transfer money and rebuilding the team after Strachan.

Yes the team was flagging towards the end of this season, and there are some deadwood members of the squad that need urgently to be moved on.

Lenny needs to rebuild the first team and squad to achieve 10 in a row, whilst securing CL GROUPS and bringing through promising youth players.

Lilac Wine and mungog like this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don’t even know if the * had a ‘list’ honestly just seemed * clueless. If we’re falling back on Lenny’s knowledge and Congerton’s scouting, I think you’ll see us focus soley on England.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Some good pre contracts to be fair with that cross border loophole as well so I don't mind those..

He's been abroad in France as well so that gives me hope we're looking in the right countries and league's for gems still..

Liam Scales likes this.
  8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    We need a part rebuild especially at the back, if we can get Benkovic again for the season that would help. But I can’t help think Rodgers has set us back a few years with his recruiting.

9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Getting rid of Park was an unbelievable dereliction of duty.

There are so many managers and clubs trying to find Moneyball alchemy, mind reading an interview with Moyes when he joined Utd, describing the massive computing power he uses to gather statistics from every company providing them to create a world map of potential players and then following their every ups and downs every week. Didn't really do a lot for him.

There must be plenty of scouts who would love to work with a club with our drawing power, especially in the saturated market of promising talent with an eye on an big move to the moneyed leagues. I'd be surprised if Lenny hasn't already addressed this before signing and even more surprised if he's going to leave it down to fate.

Our philosophy on loan deals is good and we need to sell that idea to money clubs as much as possible even though it can lead to us developing other team's players the benefit it has to us over rides that.

Giving our youth more of a chance, in the SPFL it's not a huge risk and we need more attacking displays which you'll always get with young players wanting to make an impression.

We need to rebuild the players minds as well as the squad. This one size fits all attitude to the SPFL and Europe was a disaster and I don't think it does a lot for the confidence of players. Lenny has shown he knows how to change tactics and if we put faith in players abilities to adapt to different systems it's more challenging for them mentally and will make their overall game better.

I like the idea of a man up front as Lenny has prioritised as it shows his intent of trying to make us more effective against the 10 man defence. Our defence is a bigger priority when it comes to Europe. If we even get 3 Europa level defenders, RB, CB, LB, that would make such a difference to our chances.

Would also prefer Callum in a more forward role but that's probably for next season when we've signed a DM with passing ability.

10. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    We have an army of scouts both in and out of Celtic Park.

Yes we have no head of recruitment currently but like most work places if the boss isn’t available there’s always someone within that department that can step up until a replacement is made.

We spend so much of the scouting and recruitment department that it doesn’t just shut down because one individual at the top of that chain, who wasn’t doing a great job anyway ups and leaves

11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Is Tosh McKinlay still doing his scouting for us aswell?

12. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Good points but we shouldn't misunderstand Lawwell, rebuilding is totally different from refreshing and strengthening. We need strengthening because we have a mostly excellent team with regards the level we want to be at.

Just realised I used the word rebuild in my previous post :31:

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Dudu Dahan will be on the phone without a shadow of a doubt.

Just hope Lenny has a few tricks up his sleeve. The last time he gave us the ‘we need a bums off seats X Factor player’ we ended up with Derk Boerrigter and Frank DeBoer laughing at us.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    And also Virgil Van Dijk tbf. Can’t imagine DeBoer’s laughing bout that.

15. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    DeBoerrigter :eek1: * set us up with his unwanted triplet.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

VVD wasn’t a * off seats purchase, Derk ‘was’ and that’s what Lennys told us he’s after in the Celtic TV interview.

17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I just hope we don't see the recruitment of cheap options, money has to be spent this window, really hope Lenny can secure some 1st team players, fed up with squad fillers and prospects, we've got enough of them.

18. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Stop making it sound like that's what happens every time he says that. It's complex the psychology of language, maybe he's making sure the fans know he's letting the board know that's his intentions after a season when a lot of bums were too often glued to seats.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s said it once and we signed Boerrigter, so aye that is what happens every time he says that.

I’m not slighting Lenny regardless, I’m saying I hope he has some aces up his sleeve.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Van Dijk absolutely turned out to be a bums off seats purchase but, didn’t he?