1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing career/education/retraining later in life.

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by TimFloyd, Oct 7, 2015.

Discuss Changing career/education/retraining later in life. in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TimFloyd Gold Member

See my edit above! :smiley-laughing002:

Aye but would it not be best to have a solid foundation of Maths and Physic etc before entering such a course, seeing as I don't even have any knowledge of higher level Maths? :smiley-laughing002:

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye, perhaps. But there are access modules that help you brush up on or develop those skills before you start the degree.

3. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Depends on age and where you live.
    In Scotland, you can get into Uni as a mature student.
    Just check out the different options for mature students..

4. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Would love to go back to college or do an open uni course.

I put off going to uni when i was younger because i didn't know what i wanted to do and felt like i'd just be there for the * of it or drop out.
    Now i think i'd really get stuck into it.

I really should look into it more.

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I'm going to do an OU degree, just need to decide between a couple of options.

Be interesting to compare it with actually going to Uni full time, given how much I actually turned up it will probably be similar :56:

6. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Don't forget the skinny jeans either ..

What ever you decide on I have a feeling you will achieve it as well mate :50: Just don't become to studenty please :86:

7. TimFloyd Gold Member

I shall look into that cheers.
    29 and in Scotland.
    :smiley-laughing002:

What you thinking of doing?
    Ah cheers man. :50:

8. seanolamisio

Fav Celtic Player:
    king henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    sounds obvious but go for a degree in something usefull.amount of uni grads I've met doing menial jobs is fukn depressing.2 girls had GEOGRAPHY degrees they thought would lead to become weather forecasters!

9. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Dont forget that lots of local colleges do access courses for universities, and even if you only do that to get a grounding and not take up the placement, you can use it to then help if youd prefer to do OU.

I did an access course about 20 years ago which entailed 2 nights a week and i loved it.Shock to the system and all that, but most of the class are in the same boat.

10. josep14

Fav Celtic Player:
    the maestro
    did an access course five years ago ,and qualified from Glasgow uni this year,currently doing teacher training post grad,best thing I ever did.

11. PaddyJamieson

I'm 24 now and currently doing the Credit for Entry program that is ran through Edinburgh Uni and designed for people who have been out of education for 4 or more years. No prior requirements needed, loads of classes to choose from, and they do both afternoon and night classes. You can do it over 1 or 2 years and then go on into first year of your desired course. Definitely worth a shot if you're thinking about it!

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/short-courses/access/credit

EDIT: Should say, I think Glasgow Uni do the same if that's easier!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2015
  12. Cadete

I'm in my 30s and Ill be going back to school here shortly. I've had three ortho sugeries and my body just can't handle my career anymore I think. :54:

13. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Learn to configure cisco equipment. Good networking men never have to sing for their supper. These skills are in big demand. Job ads never get filled because companies look after them. You can learn the basics handy enough using the packet tracer simulator. It would be a tight learning curve for a non technical person but very doable and you dont even need a degree.

14. Cadete

This can be a good idea in some areas, but not all. I have an uncle who does this for the hospital system. He belongs to a union and has no problem at all with his income. He was never technically inclined, either. Got into this business in the 90s, it was great for him.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    To OP..I'd go for it.

That's all I'd say. There are a good few 'mature' students on my course and loads more kicking about the Uni in general. Infact I'd hazard a guess and say it's getting more and more popular with people in their mid 20's onwards going into further education for the first time to gain extra qualifications and move up the ladder a bit.

16. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    .....or you could carry on as per!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9lmCpIzhFo[/ame]

17. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Thats for sure and to expand on my point earlier, I have to say that learning any IT skills on your own would be very difficult. I was buzzing after the result last night when i posted it and what i said kinda made it look easy. I dont think I would be fit to learn any of that stuff had I not had formal training but I know some people who can and did get a good career after initially being self taught. Industry experience will teach a person more than any school or self learning though.

With IT if someone is looking to change career then you can do the initial research yourself and learn what is for you. Packet tracer for networking, there is loads of youtube videos to teach the basics of java although i would strongly recommend people to stay away from programming if they can. Learning the basics though will teach you to read code so would be useful in a QA role. You could learn HTML and CSS in one day but it would take years to get good enough to be industry ready. I dont know a lot about Big Data Analytics but from what I hear, most people couldn't recommend it more.

18. TimFloyd Gold Member

Thanks will have a look.

Good stuff man. :50:

Cheers :50:

Now this is something I could be interested in, is this what you do?

Tbf I am probably more I.T inclined than anything else, looking at where to start though.

all a bit daunting if I'm honest.

First time I've seen that, pretty good! shame those blondes are few and far between in the job :smiley-laughing002:

19. Celtic Symphony

Am doing a diploma of Higher Education in computing and IT practice.

Looking to do 60 credits a year which is the recommended amount for part time.

First 60 credits is an compulsory module called My digital life which covers everything from the history of computing and the web to social media and how we interact with it.

Also got a thing sent out called a sense board which is used for programming.

Looking forward to getting stuck into it this year and I feel great about taking the step to learn again.

So if yout serious about it just go for it, even if it doesn't work out you will know you at least tried.

20. JasonMcG1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    kieran tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Wish i had the self belief i could change my career and life am a useless * that does nothing the now just anxiety and depression a feel holds me back