1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foley1888

He’s also available on a bosman and has scored regularly including against Ajax U21 and PSV U21.

Given we could do with some new options to replace what we have I think he would be a good option.

2. Goggzy60

Yeah we definitely should worst case scenario we sell him for like 500k.

3. KEANO1

Forget any names from Europe coming in next year, it’ll be players within the UK. We can’t complete a deal the best of times never mind with Brexit etc.

That being said looking close to home the likes of Ferguson, Nesbit potentially Campbell are all players that should be on our radar. How much would they cost, can we afford even that ?

4. CountyDownFaithful

Yeah I think the Belgian and Dutch markets are ones, amongst others, that we should be exploring more.

It seems we confine ourselves to the English market sometimes and that’s just laziness IMO. £5m for Ajeti, £40k a week on Duffy... that type of investment could have got you some gems from these smaller European leagues.

5. Foley1888

There is a lot of misinformation about the full Brexit thing. For one I am almost sure it was negotiated there would be no impact for the first window (January there) and it has been extended to the summer. In terms of Eredivisie I think it is a level 2 league so a player playing regularly there regardless of the level will all but be guaranteed a work permit regardless of their nationality, likewise I think Belgium is also decent in terms of its rating.

It will make markets like Norway and Sweden harder unless the SFA negotiate a different set of rules from the FA with the home office which they are meant to be pushing for but wouldn’t hold my breath.

It has also somewhat opened up the South American and to a lesser extent the MLS in terms of work permits.

6. northeast67

Still think with good service Shankland would score plenty in our team, one of the most natural goalscorers around bring him in and he will do more than Ajeti

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Think Nesbit is a better all round option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammy89 likes this.
  8. Sgt Neppers*

Ben Davies transfer working out well. In a poor Liverpool defence, leaking goals, make shift CB goes off injured and he still can't get a game. Yeah he may be set for life and training will be good. Not much to look back on when it's all said and done. Stupid of us to fucl about now Julien is out.

martin_d, The Dude and Wee Baldy like this.
  9. northeast67

I've not seen much of him but yeh more urgency to his game but Shankland reminds me of dare I say it Mcoist and we could do with a goalscorer like that.

10. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I really don't understand why we don't seem to have a scouting system anymore. Why is it we never sign bosman's from outside the UK and also every year someone lists a bunch of decent/good/worthwhile free transfers but we never ever sign free agents for some reason. Nowadays we seem to only target English Championship or League One players. Has our scouting really gone to *.

The_Bhoy, Wee Baldy and Hammy89 like this.
  11. Foley1888

I am not sure what’s behind it but I know Congerton changed the system when he came in and John Park left which took away a large network of scouts with Congerton focusing on France and England predominantly.

However, when Hammond came in he was meant to have hired Gary Penrice as head of recruitment for his network last spring. He claimed in May we were looking at as many as 240 players all over the world. To have landed with Turnbull on our own doorstep, Ajeti and Duffy from the EPL, Elyounoussi who had been here before and it was well publicised Hammond liked the look of Barkas. It doesn’t sound like we took up any of his suggestions or it is breaking down somewhere.

Given the wealth of data and information that can be found on players now and access to footage of games you would think we would have widened our net but we seem to have done the opposite. There is a lot to be said about utilising performance data to set parameters for players to look into further these days.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    The_Bhoy likes this.
  12. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    We'll sign him in the summer! :D

Fully expect us to be after the likes of Josh Doig, Declan Gallagher, Lewis Ferguson etc too. I think we'll look for a marquee signing or two, probably in the form of a winger and a striker. Beyond that, we'll go for the cheap option. And looking at how Turnbull is doing, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad option...

martin_d likes this.
  13. Smithy

Doig just signed a new 4 year contract at Hibs today.

14. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Ah right, that's that then. Was just using him as an example - but don't rule out us going in for him after next season. He'll have signed that contract to guarantee Hibs a decent fee (and rightly so).

The_Bhoy likes this.
  15. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If we’re gonna go within our own league we have to get porteous in. No brainer. Only others I’d be happy with us signing if we HAVE TO due to covid/finances etc. Would be Gallagher, Doig and maybe Lewis Ferguson (but reckon he’s destined for the huns)

16. Goggzy60

I would go for either Pione Sisto or Viktor Fischer this summer, also spend big on a striker atleast excite the fans. If we spend big in 2-3 positions I don’t care if the rest are free signings or unknowns (like wanyama)

17. Turnbulls right peg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    I agree spend decent money replacing edouard,christie and ajer and in attacking areas and look for a bit value at full back etc I like Yaremchuk at gent think he would be perfect up top on his own or in a 2

18. jambo_cfc

Albert Braut Tjåland -cousin of haaland . Should be all over him , phenomenal scoting record at a young age , only 17

The_Bhoy and littlekennie like this.
  19. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Adam Smith - Bournemouth’s starting right-back and a stalwart under Howe - is out of contract this summer.

Just about to turn 30, so no spring chicken, but not ancient either, with 5 years’ English Prem experience.

This is the sort of signing that’s a no-brainer, imo. Possibly John Lundstram at Sheff Utd as well/

20. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Shane Duffy eat your heart oot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.