1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    My post above is the logic TalkCeltic deserves, but not the one it needs right now. :54:

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SB: “We know Dingwall’s a hard place to go. The pitch should be good and it’ll be a battle. Here’s hoping we have a good performance, work hard and press them high up the park.”

SB: “No matter who you’re playing against, it’s hard playing in front of no fans. For us, it’s about getting the fans back in as safely as possible and here’s hoping we do that very soon

SB: “The fans are our 12th man at Celtic Park. Everyone knows how good they are. They kick us on and that’s who we want to play for. We want to play in front of 60 Thousand we’ve missed that.”

SB: “I had a few days off to relax, recover and worked hard when we’ve been back in. I’m looking forward to the next month before the international break. Hopefully we have good results and performances.”

SB: “I’ve seen a lot of
    @10DavidTurnbull
    . He’s a fantastic footballer. Young and keen.
    @shaneduffy
    ’s an international. He’s a leader, great in the air, good with his feet and a strong defender. Great signings we’ve brought in and that’ll definitely help strengthen the squad.”

SB: “We can always do better. We’ve had one bad result but when you look back at all the games, we’ve dominated but not scored as much as we’d have liked to. There’s a few improvements we can make but we’re looking good and in a good place now.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AS the only two members of the Celtic squad to have played a part in every season of the current nine-in-a-row run, Scott Brown and James Forrest have counted them into the dressing room and counted a fair number of them out.

Brown, as Celtic captain, is especially well positioned to offer his appraisal of the current squad, and how capable this squad of players are of rising to the challenges ahead. And in his view, Neil Lennon and head of recruitment Nicky Hammond have Celtic in a stronger position now than they were going into this prolonged transfer window.

Shane Duffy is the latest arrival on a season-long loan from Brighton, joining goalkeeper Vasilis Barkas, midfielder David Turnbull and striker Albian Ajeti as the new Bhoys on the block. Moi Elyounoussi, meanwhile, rejoined the squad from Southampton.

For Brown, the skillset and competition that they bring to the party means that Celtic will very likely be celebrating once more come the end of this hugely significant campaign.

“It’s been a great transfer window for us,” Brown said. “We have signed four or five now. They have all come in and strengthened the squad.

“They just need some game time to get themselves going. We’re looking forward to seeing everyone fully fit. It will be a great squad with great competition.

“That’s what the manager wants. He wants competition from the lads, whether it’s a goalie, a striker, a centre midfielder, a centre half. He wants everyone to have competition. So, the standard of training is tip-top as well.

Given his own no-nonsense demeanour, it is perhaps unsurprising that Brown has immediately been impressed by the cut of Duffy’s gib since checking in at the club earlier this week.

And he reckons that the centre-half’s lifelong allegiance to Celtic can be no bad thing either.

“He’s a great lad,” said Brown. “He spoke really well the last couple of days to all the lads.

“He’s a big strong lad who has played English Premier League and Republic of Ireland.

It’s great for us because it’s another leader at the back. He’s strong, he’s aggressive in the air.

“The manager felt we needed to bring in another centre half and that’s what he’s done. We’ve found a fantastic centre half.

“He wants to be here. He loves Celtic. It’s always been his dream to play for Celtic. It’s amazing to have that opportunity.

“He has played in the English Premier League and wants to come to us, which shows you what a big club Celtic is. For him to be a boyhood fan and play for the club he loves, it must mean a lot to him. “For him to come along here and play for the lads, it means a lot to us too.”

While the experience of Duffy is a welcome addition to the Celtic ranks, Brown is also enthused by the arrival of a man at the other end of his career arc, as Turnbull has adjusted to the step up from Motherwell with ease.

“He’s been great since coming in,” he said. “He’s not trained too much but I’ve seen some great glimpses, he works hard and is an honest boy.

“As a Scottish lad coming to Celtic, he knows what it’s all about. Having been on the other side as well he knows what it means to everyone else to try to beat Celtic.

“I like that he always looks forward, he’s got great touch and awareness. I’m looking forward to playing alongside him.

“I saw he said he wanted to emulate me, is that a compliment of a sign of my age? Maybe a bit of both!

I was an attacking midfielder when I came in as well so maybe I’ll pull him back a bit.

“He’s a great lad who is willing to learn and he has that ability to change a game. At Motherwell he scored and created a lot of chances so here’s hoping he can do even more with us.”

Turnbull will also have to handle the change in expectancy that comes with playing for one side of the Old Firm, but after fighting back from the knee problem that derailed his move to Celtic last summer to prove his worth once more, Brown has no doubts over his ability to shoulder that responsibility.

“I came in and drew at Kilmarnock in my first game, so I found out right away from Gordon Strachan that you must win every week here,” he said.

“A point is not good enough. You would accept that at Hibs at the time but not here, as the fans expect us to win every single game, week in, week out.

“There’s always going to be bumps along the way but it’s about how you bounce back. We’ve been unbelievable at it over the years.

“We have maybe been poor in a game but then won 10 or 11 on the trot.

“We need to make sure we get back to doing that but from what I’ve seen, Turnbull has that winning mentality. We’re looking forward to seeing him.

“He’s a very strong person. You’re going to need that here. You need to take the stick as well as the pats on the back, but you need to believe in your own ability.

“It’s a great story. He almost signed, goes away and gets two operations and comes back in great shape and gets the move to us.

“It’s a dream come true for him.”

SCOTT BROWN says that he feels as though he is 21 again, as theCeltic captain vowed to prove his doubters wrong all over again.

The midfielder has started all six of Celtic’s competitive fixtures so far this season, and he says he still has plenty left in the tank as the champions gear up for five fixtures before the next international break.

And he has no doubts that at 35, he is still able to go the distance in the Premiership as he looks to lead Celtic to a tenth consecutive title

“I’m feeling like 21 again, don’t you worry!” Brown said when asked how he was coping physically.

“I had four days off there, so I’m alright.

“The international break is great for me, I get to recharge my batteries and I get to go again.

“It’s always hard here, you’ve got a game every three days, but that’s why I came here in the first place.

“You don’t want to train as much, you want to play those games, and that’s where that winning mentality comes in.

“You win the game, you go onto the next game, you win that one and you make sure you continue doing that.

“If you asked every single lad in the squad, they would rather play the game than have a two or three day recovery.

“For us, it’s all about playing games and winning games.”

Brown is pleased that Celtic will be able to play in front of a small crowd for the first time on Saturday as they travel to Dingwall on Saturday, even if First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said the experiment may not be repeated for several weeks at least.

The only downside he can see is that fans won’t be able to give him the customary abuse that fires him up, with restrictions on shouting and singing in place.

“I’m a bit devastated by that!” Brown said. “It’s going to be weird for the fans as well as they have to wear masks and won’t be able to shout. So, they’re just sitting on their hands.

“It’s going to be something different, but we are just going to have to deal with it. It’s not going to change the way we play or the way we’re going to set up.

We obviously want the fans back in as soon as we can but we’ve got to do what’s best for the country.

‘If she (Sturgeon) says it’s another month off then so be it.”

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Looks like we might finally be seeing the start of him being used more sparingly.

5. Big C

Started really shabbily but got better as the game went on. Thought he had a decent game although I think our midfield was rather open at times.

6. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I thought he was absolutely fine today. When he can just sweep behind the midfield and has plenty of passing options around him he looks comfortable. It;s when he has to cover more distance to get to players, or when he has to pass the ball further that he looks shaky.

Taking him off when we're comfortable in games is just sensible. Brown will come in very handy at points this season, but we don't need someone sitting in front of a back 3 to break up play when games are effectively finished.

Metrobhoy and Fontaine like this.
  7. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    I thought broonie played well today, looking at what was on the bench today he can be rested without worrying, it'll also keep him hungry.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was much better second half..

Thought he was slack first half although swept up a couple of time's..

Crilly and Rydo1888* like this.
  9. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Reads the fame so well, a few vital interceptions. Certainly not finished but at the same time goodto see him subbed though, needs rested in his final season in the hoops

10. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I feel that the midfield has become so lapse since the start of the season, never seen us getting cut open through missed interceptions, weak passes or poor play in a very long time. Sadly Brown has started to cause the majority of these himself, still a decent player but we’ve got much better on the bench.

11. Foley1888

I agree Brown is a part of it, in that his legs don’t get him where they used to but our other three most prominent midfielders from last season have all also had indifferent starts to the season.

CalMac bar the Motherwell game has been below his usual high standards and often been anonymous or guilty of always playing the easy square pass.

Christie is giving the ball away too cheaply and frequently compared to his best, thus meaning turning over possession when we are on the attack leaving our full backA/ wing backs up the pitch and space to exploit.

Ntcham floats in and out of games and has near zero defensive awareness and never follows runners.

12. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I think it’s a case of phasing him out and allowing three other midfielders to gel. Scott’s done a huge amount for us, massive, massive player but I think we as a team have relied on him too much, to the point no one is capable of filling his place, due to his presence on the park. When he gets the players going it’s like having another player on the park, but that was when he was mobile enough, now presence alone is a liability at times.

Sad to say as much respect as I have for Broonie, it’s time for someone to pick up the team and put their authority into the team.

After the last few games against them Browns not been at the races or unable to get the boys going.

13. green-yin

Love the guy to bits, he is a cult hero to us all but we have another 2 games within the next week and there's no way broony should be starting them all when we have the options in midfield that we have. Imo broony doesnt start v the huns next month in our 3-5-2 system. So drop him to the bench the odd game between now and then so as not to embarress him come the zombie game. Calmac ntcham christie is my preferred 3 from now on, with broony turnbull rogic soro as backup. Its a long season and would be confident in any of them starting games in rotation during the season. We are definitely watching broonys last season in the hoops IMO amd we should all cherish every minute of it. CAPTAIN LEADER LEGEND:ynwacelti

14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ideal game coming up midweek to let someone else take his place in midfield.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    If we are coasting midweek, he needs to be subbed as soon as possible. Even if it's the last half an hour. Playing less minutes like that will certainly help him as season goes on.

Dan Breen likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    This is at a critical stage now..

He's so slow and immobile around the pitch. He loses loads of 50/50's or ball's well in his favour now..

He was useless tonight and no for the first time..

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    An anchor weighing the team down, on the pitch. A passenger.

20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

There is absolutely zero need for him to be playing in a game like that.

Playing the full 90 is * ridiculous when Soro and Turnbull are itching for game time.