1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile phone, any better deals?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Spring Time, Nov 25, 2018.

Discuss Mobile phone, any better deals? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Smithy

What are the best sites for picking up handsets? Really need an upgrade on my current iPhone 7.

I got a belter of a sim only plan from Virgin a couple years ago, 12GB data, unlimited calls and texts for £12 a month. Now I refuse to go back to paying £50+ a month to have the latest handset.

Been looking at either the iPhone SE, iPhone XR, iPhone X or iPhone mini. Any suggestions?

2. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    WAS THAT MEANT TO BE A PUN ??

3. TimFloyd Gold Member

Yeah so seemingly I took my current contract out with that affordable mobiles (which I don't remember doing) but they want to buy me out the end of my contract... Fair enough

Was wanting the Huawei p40 but seen because of the Google china trade ban you can't get google play store or any Google apps Gmail youtube etc so that * that.

Said just give me an iPhone 12 ok.... So she said £57 a month for 100gb data unlimited the calls texts

I replied to her, on your website you have a deal unlimited everything for £50 a month?

Yeah that's new customers only and not upgrades she says.

Ok so.ill just wait till my current contract ends and take out a new contract then?

Her.... Eh ummm yeah you can do that but but

Me: ok bye

Peej, _DannyBhoy_ and Callum McGregor like this.
  4. stew37

What do folk who buy the most up to date iPhones, Samsungs generally use them for? I'm not criticising folk for buying the most expensive ones, each to their own, I waste my money on a lot of stuff at the weekend especially, but just wondering. I see the newest iphone will be close to a grand if you want it outright. I usually buy budget smartphones outright for like 150 odd, like my current Motorola Power and a 10er a month Giffgaff sim, and so long as it has the ability to search Google fairly quickly, and apps like Spotify, Mixcloud, Youtube, WhatsApp etc, along with being able to make calls and a half decent camera, I'm sorted.

Peej likes this.
  5. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Camera really for me is the most important thing followed by speed of the device and overall quality.

Sticking with my s10+ when my contract is up though. Can't see newer phones getting that much better to justify the money anymore. £10 a month sim only deal hopefully, as long as decent data deals are available when it's up.

stew37 likes this.
  6. Onefootwonder

I've given up replacing my phone with the latest and greatest new model. I stick with my phone until they are done now. The improvements aren't as big as they used to be.

Most people don't get any benefit of having the top of the range phone. Just like a lot of things image plays a big part in purchases.

stew37 likes this.
  7. TimFloyd Gold Member

Tbh id be keeping my s10 if it wasn't for the smashed screen and it no longer charges from a wire have to wireless charge it.

Screen replacement is a fortune which I refuse to pay.

8. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Take insurance out then claim on it a week later :67:

TimFloyd likes this.
  9. TimFloyd Gold Member

My s10 gave up the ghost after getting my charger port replaced, screen just became unresponsive.

Picked up a Huawei P30 pro in perfect condition box etc for £260 I think the exchange rate works out on Facebook marketplace and the lad even threw in a Huawei smart watch for free.

Upgrade is due end of this month going to take my contract down to a sim only from £60 a month which I'm paying now to about £25.

Tbh phones have hit s ceiling over recent years, nothing is really ground breaking anymore so the need for the latest and greatest phone isn't there, this Huawei seems pretty handy enough.

Twisty likes this.
  10. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Bit of a bargain that.

TimFloyd likes this.
  11. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    I got my wife a new iphone for xmas, so I'll be upgrading to her old (pink with glitter) samsung, which is a few year younger than my older samsung phone.
    Truth be told, nobody phones or texts me anyhow, so I basically use my phone as a torch

cfcturbo and cas79 like this.
  12. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    :56::56::56:

:56:

13. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Is it a bright beam, I’m looking to upgrade?

cfcturbo and bagforlife like this.
  14. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Managed to get this for £30pm and 50gb data on EE before Christmas. Opted for the 4k OLED screen rather than the high refresh rate. I watch more videos than play games on my phone so that was a no brainer.

15. TimFloyd Gold Member

Upgraded well downgraded my phone contract today seeing as I went and bought a p30 pro and no need for a phone.

Contract was £50 pm with 50gb

Downgraded to £20 pm with 120gb of data.

Could have got 200gb for £23 but really no need.

16. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Anybody bought a refurb phone? Are they worth it, any good? I'm looking to get a new phone sim free, prefer a Samsung. Any suggestions/ pointers would be appreciated.