1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile phone, any better deals?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Spring Time, Nov 25, 2018.

Discuss Mobile phone, any better deals? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I just hate paying over the odds or interest for anything except the mortgage!! If you can somehow try and scrape the cash and buy the phone outright and then look for a decent sim only deal you'll be better off and not tied to a contract for as long. It's not for everyone though I get that. Another way of spreading the initial cost would be a 0% credit card and clearing before interest kicks in.

Guess who's used Martin Lewis, HotUKDeals etc over the years!! Saved me a lot of cash folks!!:84:

Ps- ID mobile and Virgin (sometimes have flash sales) do some decent sim only deals. Daughters being on unlimited everything for a couple of years for £20 a month. Out of contract now I think so can leave when she wants but that's probably still decent. Think I have seen 3 doing a similar deal to that now and again come to think of it.

Artorias likes this.
  2. Onefootwonder

More phones are moving away from the 3.5mm jack. You can get a little adapter for USB-C to 3.5mm. You can get them with a a charge point to allow charging and listening at the same time.

Artorias likes this.
  3. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Thanks for that mate. Realising I am kinda running out of options for a 3.5mm jack. My contract is up soon.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's the way forward for me.
    Don't need the fancy new £1k phones any more.
    Budget/low mid range will do fine, they're of decent quality lately compared to the * you used to get ten years ago.

I went with Plusnet mobile, originally £9.50 with 4gb and unlimited mins+text. But very simple to switch it to their newer deal, £10 but with 10gb.

Rather spend £200 as and when I want to on a new device, than get tied in to a £50 a month contract for 2 years.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

jocksteinupper likes this.
  5. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I like the Xiaomi phones the pocophone f2 is a beast at under £400 the mi 10 is also a great buy and are on par or beter than the Samsung or iPhone equivalents,

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

richardm likes this.
  6. wulliebad

Its nuts * running round paying £50 a month to get the lates phone....i got dizzy just buying the s7 last year.:56:

jocksteinupper, Artorias and Peej like this.
  7. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Told my daughter that last iPhone (XS Max) i think it was called was the last one we were buying her. That will get her through school, she's 6th year the now, and then she's on her own. She's away from home in school and her residence has no wifi would you believe so we pick up the £20 for the sim.

As above, i have a Chinese Xiaomi which can do more than my needs even though it was only £150 ish. Kids are different though....peer pressure is horrendous. Personally hate Apple even though i'll accept their phones are arguably top of the tree.

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Anyone got the Huawei P30 pro on here?

Found a decent 'Black Friday' deal to get it for £26 a month and my current contract ends in 6 weeks.

Got the p20 pro just now and I like it but the battery is draining quickly these days and it's definitely a bit laggy at times.

9. TimFloyd Gold Member

Was looking at buying one myself as my current S10 is *

My mate has one and he swears buy it saying it's the best phone he has ever had.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If you're thinking about taking the plunge then the deal is on here:

https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk...ro-new-edition-silver-frost/o2-30gb-26-24mths

If you use 'VC30' in the promo code it takes £30 off the upfront cost so you're paying £109 upfront.

Other deals on there if you don't want to pay anything upfront but that will save money overall.

Edit: Works out £733 all in for a 2 year contract, it's currently £600 to buy the same phone sim-free on Amazon so you're talking just over £5 a month for unlimited texts, mins and 30GB of data.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    TimFloyd likes this.
  11. TimFloyd Gold Member

Thanks I'll have a look.

Unsure what do to as my current contract runs out on the 25th Jan., Says I can upgrade for £150 or something just now.

Was going to buy it 2nd hand price range from £250-£350 then get a sim only deal at under £30 a month which kinda works out the same as above tbh

Or just see what deals are available come January when my contract ends.

I really don't see any other phones that tickle my fancy tbh as iPhones can * off and I'm kinda done with Samsung as well.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm in the same boat as you kinda. Was going to hold off and see what the script was but after 2nd Jan I'd be paying £36 a month anyway once it went sim free, so this works £10 cheaper.

Albeit I'll be paying for 2 contracts for the cross-over.

It's the chance you take man..

TimFloyd likes this.
  13. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

I've got it. I had the Mate 20 Pro before so I didn't find it to be a huge upgrade on that, but it's a great phone and for £26 a month is well worth it.

I'm on £40 and I've had it almost a year. Still running perfectly and the camera is great.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Cheers man. I'm going to go for it.

Don't think I'll get a better phone for that price. I'd grudge paying anything over £40 a month on a contract.

15. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Uswitch is an excellent site for finding good deals on phones, sims, broadband.

Fontaine likes this.
  16. eddiemcd1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larson
    Plusnet sim only deal £7
    Unlimited texts
    Unlimited minutes
    6 GB data

brilliant deal...

17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Oh they've got a £7 option now?

I'm on the £10 option for unlimited and 10gb data.
    Not sure I when use 6.
    Gonna check that out.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

18. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Patiently waiting on the Sony Xperia 1 II coming down in price. Refuse to spend more than 35pm on a phone contract these days. Still sitting with the Samsung S8 which I got when they first came out!

19. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Unless there's some really crazy deals with 3 on Black Friday then I'm just going to get a sim only deal. I've got a Huawei P20 Pro that I'm happy with, it was away getting fixed last month under the warranty and had a new screen and other parts replaced, been working like a dream since then so don't see the point in getting an upgrade.

Last sim only deal I had was £18 per month for unlimited data,text and mins, hopefully pick something like that up again.

20. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sim only with one of these Xiomi phones can be the only way to go, I got one for £150 and it * on stuff from Samsung double the price, the thing is it’s hardly a secret anymore, I’m not all that tech savvy but I was literally astonished I could get something like this which quite frankly is way more than I need for that type of price 48mp Photos that just blow others out the water too, * knows what the dearer models are capable of