1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominic McKay

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jan 29, 2021.

Discuss Dominic McKay in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

There should be a link. You’re 100% right. Also not McKay’s fault. He’s not “inexperienced”. He’s been dealt a horrendous hand along with Ange by the ones above them.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don't think the inexperienced accusation is unfair. He is inexperienced in the role he's been asked to do. The hope is that the experience he has had will be transferable to a new environment, and that isn't exactly a rare thing when hiring senior level executives - you don't need to have experience as CEO of a tech company to become the CEO of a tech company. In plenty of cases you won't even have experience as a CEO. The idea is that you've got the transferable skills in place to get up to speed quickly, and then implement whatever vision you've been hired to implement.

I think as football fans it's often just far easier and more palatable to blame the guys in suits, but in this case I don't think it's warranted, any moreso than it is to be blaming Ange. Mackay is literally just in the door, trying to orchestrate a massive restructuring job in a very short space of time, and is very likely to be adhering to the same mandate and operating under the same constraints as before.

None of this means Mackay is the man for the job or indeed any good - we simply don't know yet much in the same way we can't make any sort of fair assessment on Ange as a manager. They're both picking up the slack for a sustained period of negligence and poor decision making by the men they've replaced.

paulie walnuts and Mr Shelby like this.
  3. JamesM09

Ange doesn’t do the deals mate. It’s not football manager..

I believe he is the CEO of Celtic and it’s his job to implement modernisation. If he can’t get funding for that then he’s absolutely useless.

If you want to assume he walked into his interview and spent 2-3 hours explaining we need a large scouting network, a large coaching team, Director of Football etc. and the board hired him but then decided they didn’t want to do that afterwards, that’s up to you. To me it’s more likely they hired someone with the same outlook for Celtic as them. Business first, trick the fans into season ticket money and continue the stupid bullshit.

It’s not board or McKay. It can be both.

Back to the original point, will you not even entertain the idea we could’ve hired someone that’s done this exact job before nah? Could McKay potentially not be the best person to modernise the club, or is this the one thing the board done right in your view, in spite of themselves?

oh bhoy likes this.
  4. JamesM09

My view (and Ange’s seemingly) is he’s moving far too slowly and my speculation is because he lacks experience. I don’t think that’s a stretch, it’s pretty much what you would expect. Indeed most people seem to agree with that but they differ from me when they are happy to give him time.

A number of people won’t even entertain the idea he could be at fault, even fairly. It’s 100% he’s perfect and it’s the nasty board (that hired him) that’s * it up.

I’m simply asserting that given the current situation we shouldn’t have hired someone that needs to learn anything. That notion seems ridiculous to me and I don’t understand why people defend it. It seems to be because he’s here now we can’t use that argument. If we had hired someone with experience there wouldn’t be any doubt who’s at fault.

I respect some people want to give him more time. I will have to do that to, of course, but we’re losing ground in a very fast moving sport while this guy learns to handle his board AND run a football department. It’s a legitimate criticism whether people like it or not.

5. fourleafclover

Nothing was ever going to change that much really .

The CEO role is dictated by DD and the board .

They will be expecting him to meet the exact same targets as Pedro was asked to.
    He will be given the same tight restrictions and as little cash to spend blah blah blah.
    They pay him so he will do what they ask.
    Not saying he cant do that better than Pedro but can't seem him being much different.

What we need more than anything is a proper set up
    - a manager with a certain idea of how he wants his team to play
    - a DOF that can help make that happen
    - a scouting system that can hightlight players that will fit the way the team plays
    - a short, medium and long term plan to ensure we are not left short when players move on or refuse to sign long term contracts
    - a DOF that ensures our youth academy is aligned to out first team - same way of playing as first team, loan moves for our highest regarded players, pathway into first team.

For a football club this really should not be hard to put together . More so for a club our size

Its the board and DD that are holding this club back

Sonic Reducer and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s still way too early to be judging him as a whole and some of the criticism he’s getting is miles wide of the mark.

However, if his priorities in the short term have been anything other than getting players in the door (and it doesn’t look like that) then he needs to alter the path he’s on as of today.

To go into that qualifier with those 5 guys we had at the back is shameful. Forget modernising fan media engagement or social media content or whatever else - those things can start taking shape down the line. Our squad is a threadbare shambles and it needs resolved much quicker than it is being - I personally can’t believe we’re not being linked with guys that are capable of coming right in and playing straight away.

alex_bhoy likes this.
  7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Your replies are too long winded, too all over the place and you’re just repeating points.

So let me put a pin in this.

You’re in here ranting about McKay and making claims that aren’t true 2 months since the guy arrived.

When someone calls you out you claim they are defending McKay and you change the subject.

You beg for evidence without a shred of evidence yourself.

You then cherry pick to deflect. Yes Ange doesn’t complete the deals. But he’s the football manager and they will be his player.

At the end of the day, McKay isn’t the one to blame here. You’re acting as if he’s got himself into this position to now act as the boards puppet and continue the same * we’ve had for over a decade.

Don’t be stupid.

8. JamesM09

That’s absolutely wild :56:

I mean, I’m repeating points but also changing the subject was a particular highlight. :50:

9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You must be Dermot Desmonds lad.

Changes the subject when someone brings up the board and tries to make McKay the scapegoat.

Drivel.

10. JamesM09

Dermot Desmond’s lad :56::56::56:

* me, didn’t think I’d ever be accused of that. Have a wee look through my recent posts for my opinion on Desmond. I’ll wait here. :50:

kramer1 and thailandceltic like this.
  11. Foley1888

Badly needs a director of football in to run the footballing side, but blaming him for the lack of deals isn’t really fair given we have been hopeless at it for years.

Although at this point a DoF should have been in around the time Ange arrived (ideally before that but even allowing for the Howe fiasco).

I believe Ange is a capable football coach but trying to run the full show when we are so far out of shape.

It is like trying to take a former heavyweight prospect who has gave the sport up for 5 years got massively out of shape and bring him back to compete whilst they are still working a job to pay the bills.

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing

Surely without a director of football, and without letting the manager do the deals - literally this is one of the CEOs main jobs in regards the squad?
    Just because we have been * at it for decades now, doesn't mean we should excuse it still.

JamesM09 likes this.
  13. Foley1888

But what do we expect bring in a guy who has never worked in football before and transfers and expect him to change a shambolic structure in a matter of weeks without being able to appoint anyone?

With the way we are run a CEO is appointed to serve the shareholders, of which our major ones are either on the board or represented there; not the fans. McKay as Lawwell before him will be instructed to act on what they want not us.

In successful football clubs the want of fans and major shareholders tend to be the same, here most of our major shareholders are more interested in their share price and one day the club being granted access to a bigger TV deal from joining another league.

It’s a disgrace but the only way MacKay will become a success in the eyes of the fans is if the board realise a successful team on the park is needed to maximise shareholder value something they obviously have missed given the recent CL qualification record.

14. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    There was talk a couple of months back that Lawwell took a back seat in the Howe talks and left McKay to get on with it.
    If this is true, and I appreciate it’s a big if, and you add it to what we’ve seen of his transfer dealings so far, you would have to be concerned about his ability to get deals done.
    It’s early days and he’s been handed a club in a shameful state but it’s not been a great start for him.

15. snoogins

Was at the game today and saw everything we did. Hopefully, it's the boot in the * needed to move some signing along.

I'd also like to know how this "modernisation" he was talking about is coming along. He's been here a month and no new Director of football, technical director, coaches, scouts, analysts, sports scientists, club doctors to speak of

martin_d likes this.
  16. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Probably only there tonight because he was in Edinburgh watching the lions game in the pub with his rugby pals

McKagan likes this.
  17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    He's an idiot best ignored

JamesM09 likes this.
  18. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Never mind a "boot in the *" - they feckers wouldn't notice a fecking bomb up their * and are quite willing to let things drag along

19. G40B

Peter Lawwell made close to £20m shortchanging the support, all the while a sizeable portion of it lauded over him as a chief football operator.

Hardly surprising Bankier’s boy has come in and, thus far, appears to be following a similar blueprint.

Fortunately, it’s no longer a minority who know the truth about this board.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  20. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I now firmly believe that those fans who saw no wrong in the board (especially PL) are now beginning to wake up and smell the coffee. There a fewer happy clappers by the minute and I think the board will see just how much the Celtic support has turned against them next week at our first home league game.

G40B likes this.