1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Where it went wrong?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stubhoy07, Mar 7, 2021.

Discuss Where it went wrong? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    They are not better than us. I'll stand by my opinion. They are better organised and well drilled. They deservedly win the league yes. I've watched a lot of them and for large parts they are utter dugshite. They have a tactic of sitting in and counter attacking with big punts up to Kent. And again I'm not disputing that is just plain good tactics. But they are just a rehash of many Walter Smith teams. We went to mordor shorn of confidence and form and should have put them out of sight.

LectersLuncheon and Breathnach67 like this.
  2. CelticBoabie

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    We were all calling him a rat/snake whatever, but he clearly knew there was * on the horizon and too many people meddling in what should be the manager and coaches decisions.

But, he is still a * rat/ snake */ * /*.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Waxing lyrical:giggle1:

I said they are unbeaten in the league which they are. And I said they’ve won more knockout ties in 2 years than we have in 15 years - which they have.

I’m not saying they are a fantastic team. They’re not. But this myth that they are where they are because they’re lucky needs to stop. It’s so petty sounding.

They’ve had some luck along the way, for sure. But so did we in our invincible season and against Lazio etc. Every team needs a bit of luck.

bhoy81 and Taz like this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

But we didn’t. We made a basic error and ended up going down to 10 men. Then couldn’t defend a corner.

And let’s be honest here - that performance against them has got better the further away from it we are. We were dominant in the first half but created next to nothing. I’m fairly sure we never had a shot on target after about the 25th minute.

5. Cringer67

I agree with everything you say for what its worth. Apologies, I thought you were bigging them up to something they aren't. I stand by the fortune they have had though- and it goes far beyond anything we had.
    Are they better than us? Currently, yes.
    Are they 20 pts better than us? Not a chance.

6. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

I would like to know exactly what is going on RIGHT NOW! If this was a proper business a contingency plan would be on the table after such a disastrous season and all stakeholders would know about it

Taz likes this.
  7. JamesM09

Exactly. Our performance in that game was extremely poor. It's sad that because we managed a couple of shots on target in the opening quarter it was somehow an excellent performance.

That being said, I don't think they're that great I just think we had a dogshit manager that always played shitebag tactics against them.

I think 9/10 games against them he played shitebag long ball tactics hoping their defenders would make a mistake or Edouard would produce magic. A competent manager would've put them to the sword with the squad we have.

I can't wait until we have a manager on the sidelines who doesn't look white as a sheet against them or sits with a raging face to hide his fear.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We ended up going down to 10 men from a guy who should've been off inside the first few minute's. Funny that..

They were spooked by our approach and sat back....couldn't get out infact..

Our fullbacks were in so often and still couldn't find a man..

muaythai postie and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  9. Foley1888

I am with you on you can’t say they are a poor or lucky team over the course of the season. They are well organised and know their jobs, they also defend well as a unit and have a few different goal threats.

The thing I felt the game at New Year showed though was if you nullify there game plan there’s not much there. Yeah we maybe didn’t have a shot on target after 25mins but we had three situations that should have resulted in goals (Edouard sitter he missed, Frimpong all he had to do was square it and it was a tap in and Bitton missing a header about 3 or 4 yards out from a corner) and a wonder save from McGregor to keep out Griffiths. They couldn’t keep possession and were very lucky not to have at least one player off if not two (Morelos should have went, Davis for his studs up lunge on Ajer).

For me it was a good performance from us until Bitton got sent off but the fact we didn’t win showed all our failings this year, rash defensive decision, poor at set pieces and not taking chances when they came up.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye we were dominant in the first half. We were constantly winning the ball back high up the pitch, and they clearly shat it when we came out playing so aggressively.

But we still created almost nothing. Like you said, the full backs were awful in the final third.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It's probably the most fearful I've seen a slippy side start against us, bar maybe the 2 nil game where he shat it tactically beforehand. This was more in game * it early..

Aye, loads of possession and right up by their final third but our final ball was lacking. If we had say a Tavernier or Barisic in the amount of position's Frimpong and Laxalt were getting in to, I've no doubt we would've been a couple up by half time..

In saying that, Turnbull or McGregor was it just outside the box that had McGregor helpless. His wonder save from Griffiths. Edouard in the box. Still probably deserved to go in at least 1 up by that point..

That is the blueprint on how to play them for whoever comes in. Be aggressive, good tempo and force their centre halves in to mistakes, catch them out down the flanks when their fullbacks push on..

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Have you watched us lately?

Breathnach67 likes this.
  13. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    A young foreigner uprooting sticks to move to a new climate and culture. All the things that go with it. Surely we need to give guys like this time to settle in and get a run of games. Doesn’t help the situation when your manager throws you under a bus. Not hard to believe that it can take players more than a few months to settle

14. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    The Faroe Islands and Greece are comparable footballing nations then yea?

15. ORIGINALS

they are so much better than us in every way that it’s mortifying. The league table doesn’t lie.

16. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Most of the teams they’ve drawn in Europe would beat us no question about it. We are * in Europe

17. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    The teams they’ve drawn are still no great shakes, they’d beat us simply because we have been atrociously bad and dysfunctional as a club never mind a team this season. The best team they’ve played is a * gash Benfica side who are having as poor a season as us domestically.

18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Again, we’d still lose against nearly each team they’ve drawn. So I don’t see their runs as lucky or good draws. We got a ferenvacos side who hadn’t played recently, a Sparta Prague b team and couldn’t beat either. So don’t think anything can be said about their European run from our viewpoint. Although I do believe all this celebrating will * them against slavia

19. john2061

I agree not just better than us on the pitch but even better when it comes to recruitment which we have been appalling and hope Hammond goes as well .
    We have regressed as a club frightenly fast and the invincible team would be at least neck and neck with them .
    But getting in a cheap option in a manager and bad recruitment has cost us the ten .

20. Gurru 991

He was treated badly by the board who didn't want to move forward. He wasn't appreciated & got a better offer & the board saw an opportunity to make a dollar & get rid of a problem child.
    He is not the problem. The board are the problem.