1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Fraser Forster

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by JC Anton, Jan 13, 2016.

Discuss Fraser Forster in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Foster has to decide if he wants to look at his medals and trophies in his later years or show his grandkids his bank balance

He is a pefect fit for Celtic.. the only stumbling block is his salary not the fee we would have to pay

2. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic song, the best ever
    According to Lenny the deal was done just waiting on Foster agreeing the move. No money problems were mentioned so only what he wants to do

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I don’t agree with this “bank balance” argument and it’s from twitter, not anyone here despite some of you mentioning it no doubt.

He might want a run at the Euro’s if he’s been told he will be given a run at Southampton.

We don’t really know.

I think questioning how much he loves Celtic isn’t fair. Careers don’t last forever and we don’t know Forster’s dreams and aspirations. You don’t grow up in Newcastle dreaming of winning 10 in a row at Celtic.

I think it’ll be a real hard decision for him.

Lilac Wine, Ewang83, The_Bhoy and 3 others like this.
  4. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That's fair enough but he was quick enough in his glad to be back, love it here etc last August so what has changed. At 32 it's a risk for him to fight it out with 2 other keepers to be in 1st place and if he doesn't get it he's back to square one. No way can this be about money for him, already made for life, so surely the playing side is more important especially after missing out on 18 months between injuries and form loss. IMO it will be his loss and I still think there's enough up and coming keepers out there just waiting to get a chance with a club like ours

Ryanmcg84 likes this.
  5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Aye I literally think it’s between England National Team and Celtic rather than Southampton and Celtic. Not money anyway.

Whatever he wants to do, I’d not blame him. But I know what I’d pick.

Scott smyth likes this.
  6. TheHappyLoss

Get yer big lanky * up here

7. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Yep I agree. But as others have posted he's not one of us, dyed in the wool hoops fan. I get why he doesn't want a loan, uprooting the family again etc but he knew what our plans were and he seemed happy enough then. But maybe the Chelsea thing isn't far off

8. Foley1888

If it’s to get in the national team then he will need to be a regular starter at his club and the way the Southampton Manager basically said not sure what’s happening with him yet and if the club had agreed a deal, it doesn’t scream out to me that they really view him getting a game there.

I think it then comes down to one of two things Forster is looking to be compensated for the loss of wages to move to Celtic by either Southampton/Celtic or both; or his agent is trying to drum up interest from other EPL teams. I don’t think there is an offer on the table as if there was Southampton wouldn’t have agreed a deal with Celtic for him to come back on loan or perm as we will certainly wouldn’t pay what another EPL team would in transfer fees.

Also if the salary levels quoted are true, then I cannot see any other team match that sort of money given the current climate and likelihood of him being their number one. Most of the other top EPL clubs either have a clear no.1 and/or are trying to remove high earners who don’t get regular game time off their wage bills. So signing a back up keeper on a crazy wage won’t be a priority.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  9. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Imo it comes down to one thing only. And Lenny said it. Its went quite on the PLAYERS SIDE. Both clubs have done what was needed or he wouldn't have a deal offered to him. You can't offer a deal till the previous club has agreed the pay off from the current deal and most likely would have % of that paid. Celtic would more than likely have a higher signing on fee to make up another percentage of his lost wage and more than likely a higher clean sheet bonus. We are known to pay very good bonuses for this type of thing so although weekly wage maybe lower between his pay off from Saints then signing fee he wouldn't be that put out

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Lennon would not have asked Lawwell to waste time agreeing deals with Southampton if Forster had given any sort of indication that he didn't want to come back this season.

Lennon will have asked him his thoughts and Forster's obviously told him he wants back up.

What has changed since that conversation I don't know but if I was Lennon I would be giving him an ultimatum. This is a historic season, we need to start getting ready for it and we only want guys who are sure they want to be here.

I'd give him until 5pm on Thursday to tell us yes, if we've not heard anything then thanks for your contributions and best of luck for the future.

11. Foley1888

I don’t think that is guaranteed that the details between the player and either club have been agreed. Yes the two clubs have agreed a deal but that deal may not suit the players aspirations hence why they have gone quiet.

Alternatively it may be a personal family thing where his other half doesn’t fancy the move. There has been the suggestion he would only move on a perm and it might have been another loan deal had been agreed by the clubs, potentially with an option to buy.

One thing I don’t think that has happened based on a deal being agreed is that Southampton have told FF he is part of their plans as was reported.

12. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Great points there.

Ten in a row means the world to you and I but probably means * all to most professional footballers, not getting at KT at all but when the 10 isn't enough to keep a dyed in the wool Celtic supporting professional footballer we can't really expect it to be a huge thing for FF.

I really hope he stays but as has been said on the thread by others, if he doesn't commit this week, cheers mate and we get a number 1 in the door as priority. Bain for all being an able deputy is not my starting number 1 (or Lennys either).

MacEwan and The_Bhoy like this.
  13. joemc

The deal that was done for the coming season is one we could afford fully ,so we know we cant afford his wages and am guessing he wont want to lose too much in the deal .
    I'm also guessing the big man would keep his word and has previous wae lenny so it comes down to forcing Southampton into a deal we can afford , they need to cut that wage and get as close to wots left on his deal as poss , let's face it ,lenny could phone him and hes not gonna ignore the call is he , so hes not gone quiet ,defo still a goer but maybe need him to get forcing this through quicker .

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Sounds like hes ignoring his calls to me

15. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Don’t see why Lenny would come out and publicly call out Forster for going quiet on an already agreed deal by both clubs. That agreement alone shows Southampton don’t want him. So that rules out fighting for his place there as suggested. And If Lenny and Fraser are close, surely he wouldn’t call him out publicly to make a decision.
    Can’t understand the logic behind it all because it only makes Forster look bad in this scenario

Scott smyth likes this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Southampton agreed to our offer and Forster wouldn't lose a penny on his current Southampton contract unless it contained appearance bonuses (which is highly unlikely)

17. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Look no one probably knows exactly the ons and outs but Lenny said its falling down due to the player, and he said that. So you can only take that as fact. The player wouldn't have any descion to make unless the terms were agreed, again Lenny said that was done. Imo I think he has another offer with a another EPL club. I just don't see what he could see at Southampton at this stage of career. In other word fight for a place in a team that will win hee haw or 1st choice in a team guaranteed to win things and also potential of CL football. If its money he wants then he moves not stay at Saints, maybe Chelsea as some rumours are to believed or come to us and enjoy the last few years winning things

18. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He would lose some money as they would give him a percentage of his current contract not all of it although he may also ask for a loyalty bonus as he's not asking for a move . That's the way it works according to a couple of players that I know have told me before. Not every contract is the same but the contain all sort of bonuses and extras dependant on things like clean sheets, loyalty, progress in tournaments etc.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  19. Ryanmcg84

You maybe right but you'd think he's learned his lesson. He left the last time with the ultimate goal of winning more England caps. What did he get 2 or 3?
    I think he's a cracking goalkeeper but they don't. There is at least 3 keepers ahead of him for England team. You could argue the point he's as good as the 3 but they don't see it that way.
    Similar to Garry Hooper, left to win England caps and ended up wasting away in the championship begging for a move back.

20. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    Surely he cant have went down and had the chat with the manager and thought he is in with a chance with fighting for his place there.....as much as I think he is capable of the club had already agreed to let him go on another loan to us at expense to themselves as they would have been still picking up wages plus that same club had already decided no matter how well he did over the season they would sell him to us anyway so surely to anyone that doesn't make you think hmmm I could stay here and battle it out

Foley1888 likes this.