1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v Qarabag UCL 29/07/15 19:45 KO

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jul 25, 2015.

Discuss Celtic v Qarabag UCL 29/07/15 19:45 KO in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. In the Jungle

Fav Celtic Player:
    Adam Mathews
    *, if that's 5:30pm Scotland time it's 2:30am Melbourne time:31:
    Ah well, off to work early after the game then.:smiley-laughing002:
    Actually is it on Celtic TV live or delayed like today?

2. paulpaul17

Btw as of right now the return game isn't on live TV in the UK at all.
    Hopefully somebody will pick it up though.

3. shieldsybhoy

This is the case every year though. I think Ronny needs a good 2 seasons of the club not selling its best players and him finding a few new ones on the ridiculously low budget he has, in order for us to even think about last 16 (hopefully I eat my words). We just can't compete against teams who spend £30, 40 mil on players. Of course we can't. Even Basel (I don't know much about Panathanaikos), signed some big name players who were on the fringes or even playing for very good teams. Birkir Bjarnason from Pescara, Kuzmanovic, who played against us for Inter. Good, international standard players from Serie A. Whereas we're getting either, the top players from the SPL, or reserve players from top Prem clubs. Tbf, I think signing a player such as the Norweigian player of the year (Johansen) is something we should look at doing more. These leagues are alright and the best players from them will be a good standard. But we have no right to beat the Chelsea's, Man Utd's of this world. Their worst player costs more than our entire squad. And Ronny is getting less money than Lenny is now. This is why we need to get into the Champs League, season after season, but our level atm, imho, are teams like Qarabag. These are good teams and we find ourselves rightfully being challenged by them.

4. CharlieMulgrini

I felt 2-0 would have been a secure result to take over there. We did enough to merit that last night, but to be honest, my first reaction this morning is: 1-0 should be enough. I fully expect us to unlock the door in Baka at least once, meaning they need three. Can't see it. We're looking pretty solid. The Boyata-VVD centre half pairing seems a good one, and we're very VERY lucky to have Craigy G behind them. Confident. If we score first next game, it's all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Priest

Full game on Celtic's Youtube channel

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5lxpuTbnV4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5lxpuTbnV4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEjGSjX93PI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEjGSjX93PI[/ame]

6. murphy88

I don't think we did enough to win by a couple of goals. Although we had a lot of the ball, and controlled the game, we created very few chances. The first save I can remember their keeper making was a very comfy one from Ciftci, and that was well into the second half.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  7. CharlieMulgrini

What about the Virgil effort that resulted in clawed out the top 90 wonder save? I think that goes down as a good chance, no?

8. murphy88

It goes down as a chance, but it's not like we opened them up. I don't think we done enough to win by more than a goal though. I thought 1-0 was a pretty fair result, and in the end, I was delighted to win at all, because it wasn't looking likely for most of the night. We were very predictable and one paced going forward. They come over to frustrate and play for 0-0, and we didn't really look like we were good enough to break them down. I'm not surprised it took a set piece, put it that way, and that's how the Van Dijk chance come about as well.

9. CharlieMulgrini

Ok that's fair enough. It was a set piece that led to the Boyata goal, but still at least we have that. As I've said before I fully expect us to score at least once over there, as when this team come out to play, I think we have players to exploit the space. From what I understand they played very defensively and compact last night. Won't be the same in Baku. They'll have to try and outscore us in the game, and I think we have enough quality to come through that. But perhaps it's optimism talking here. I do feel we're in a more secure position that last time out though.

10. scootz

Great result. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded!

11. PaddyJamieson

They don't concede many goals, only need to look at their results last year to see that. A very tough team to break down in open play by all accounts. It was always likely that we'd rely a bit on set-pieces.

12. murphy88

I said it last night, it's hard to gauge how good or bad they really are, because they will approach next week totally differently as you say. The clean sheet could prove crucial for us though, as we are usually good for a goal, and if we do score over there, I don't see us not progressing. I don't think we will win the game next week though, and I think it will be a typical, nail biting night.

13. murphy88

True, but I would like to think we have a higher calibre of player than any team in the Azerbaijan league. Stjarnan didn't concede a lot of goals last year either, didn't stop us taking 6 off them over 2 legs. This team are better than them of course, but they were obviously hard to break down in their domestic games last year also.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  14. celts67

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

You must be American ? :icon_mrgreen:

16. CharlieMulgrini

It was posted with a touch of Americanism irony, but I'm borne and bred in GLESGAE Slaw. Celtic till I die.

17. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    A step-up in quality from the last round, as you would expect. They approached the game in a similar way to Stjrnan and other domestic sides do, sit in and play on the counter. Unlike the aforementioned sides, Qarabag were better organised and better at maintaining possession. They defended deep so we couldn't play in behind, 2nd half they pushed up a bit higher or tired slightly(bit of both for me). They cut off any room for our overlapping full-backs and with 2 midfielders sitting deep in front of the defence made it difficult to play into Ciftci's feet. While they done all that, they rarely caused our defence problems. Gordon hardly had anything of note to do.

When we got our pressing right, in particular on the centre-half's, gave the ball away (guy with the yellow boots, gave the ball away cheaply on a few occasions). Although the baldy guy Richard, looked pretty handy on the ball and influential in their play.

Set pieces are where we have a visible advantage over them. The goalkeeper from the start was keen to come for every crossed ball and was exposed for Boyata's goal. Van Dijik was denied from another set piece before the goal. If we get the delivery right, we can get some joy from it.

Bitton and Van Dijik looked the pick of the bunch.

We can improve on what we shown last night, which was a good result. Leading and not conceding.

18. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

Who was the player who picked up the ball boy who got shoved by Boyata and threw him into the celebration of the goal? :smiley-laughing002: Just saw that on youtube but cant make out who it is.

19. Priest

Lustig

20. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

:50: